PDA

View Full Version : 6" Fabtech lift and pics

JAXXXA
11-20-2002, 18:27
Fabtech 6" lift is installed. Needed a lot of bumper trimming to clear the 315's.

The kit seems to work well, and the ride is not bad. Fabtech did miss a few small parts (bolts, brake cable bracket) and the powdercoated parts were slightly scratched from poor packing.

Still having balancing problems with the tires, there is steering vibration between 50-60mph.

This is a lot of work and expense to fit 35" tires under the truck, and the exposed frame looks like ****.

I own a 2002 Ford F350 Powerstroke, and this 2002 Chevy 2500HD D/A. I have no brand loyalty, and comparing the products that I have dealt with, I prefer the Ford. The Chevy is still very new to me, so time will tell.

Cost to get 315's on the Chevy- approx $3500
Cost to get 315's on the Ford- approx $1400

Here are links to pics of BOTH trucks:

http://www.aikler.com/ford/2500hd.html

http://www.aikler.com/ford/ford.jpg

mackin
11-20-2002, 19:46
JAXXXA

Looks real good !!!!!!! It may be cheaper to do the Ford but it's still a Ford no matter what you do..... tongue.gif

MAC :D

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Corndog
11-20-2002, 20:58
Jaxxxa
2 great looking trucks, Just wondering if the tires would have cleared with a 4.5 in. lift.

Corndog

D-n-Tyke
11-21-2002, 14:06
JAXXXA- How much is "A Lot" of bumper trimming. I put a 6" RCD lift with 35's on my '02 D/A HD and only had to trim the corner of the lower black air dam. As for cost, yeah it is going to cost a lot less to lift the F#*d as it has leaf springs front and rear (IIRC). But just look at how much better the ride is with the independant front end. My buddy has a 01 F-250 lifted on 35's also and everytime he rides in my truck he always complains how his truck beats the crap out of him going down the road.
P.S. Your truck looks great. :cool:

JAXXXA
11-21-2002, 17:00
Bumper was trimmed over 1" into the metal, mostly on the bottom, and gradually sloping out to no trim approx 2 inches from the top. Plus, the plastic inner fender had to be trimmed.

My rims are 8" wide and 4.5" backspace, which is what Fabtech recommends. Maybe with a 10" rim the tire height is slightly less and has more clearance?

The only thing I really don't like is how far the front tires stick out (because of the axle spacers) You can really see it in the last picture.

http://www.aikler.com/ford/2500hd.html

D-n-Tyke
11-21-2002, 17:08
Axle spacers? I don't think you should have had to cut that much onto the bumper. That is alot.
I am trying to remember that backspacing on my tires. But I think it is more like 4-5/8". Not a big differance. :confused: The only other thing that I can think is that the torsions are not turn up, or the fabtech lift dosn't go as high as the RCD. Oh well truck still looks great either way.

mcfly
11-23-2002, 23:21
The Chevy looks fantastic. Ford looks like a ford.

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: mcfly ]</p>

waterlogged
11-26-2002, 02:01
I just installed a fabtech on my 02 Crew Cab D/A and overall I like it, but the lift(with the drop spindles and cv spacers) spaces out the front tires about two inches more then stock and about 3/4 inch on both sides more then RCDs and others.This makes it alittle funny lookin in the front since its wider then the rear and also causes the tires to contact the front bumper more then others when turnin the tires(more trimin required). as far as the Ford 'im still tryin to talk myself into an 2000 F-550 crewcab 4x4 I just got. Even though it has the Banks power pack,BD exhaust brake and torque converter,transfer flow tank,gear venders overdrive and a $4000 air rite air suspension,(over 60k invested overall) It is still a Ford.No auto headlites, no dome lite override,still has the ol wheel gauge for an odometer and a string to pull the shift indicator,and those seats suck. Wow if it didnt have 17,500 gvwr and 4wd i'd never look twice at it.