PDA

View Full Version : '93 still hard starting

BuffaloGuy
12-26-2003, 18:52
For those of you who have been advising me on this ongoing problem, sorry for the following review, I'll keep it brief.

Replaced glow plugs, glow controller. Added resistor and glow plug extender button. Cleaned and inspected IP cold advance valves. Still starts hard when cold. Runs rough until warm then it's fine for the rest of the day.

Tonight I checked each glow plug for power with a 12v test light, again. All OK at the spade.

Then I used an ohm meter and got a good reading on 6. The 2 middle ones on the passenger side were too much of a PITN for my limited time so I disconnected the wire connection on the harness, hooked my test light to the positive side on the battery and touched the wire in the connector. Both fired up very nice.

So, it appears that all my glow plugs are A-OK. They are getting plenty of time but the truck still starts hard when cold. It is obviuosly missing on a couple until it warms up.

I'm frustrated :mad: :mad:

The IP has 120,000 miles on it and the motor and injectors have only 20,000. I'm down to either the injectors or the IP.

Could it be a bad injector or two? When it's warm it runs fine. Can an injector act up only when cold????

I'm not sure the advance feature on the IP is working either. I've checked all the wiring and all the solenoids seem to be working but the only sure way to test it would be to pay the dealer to check the timing with and witout the advance valve powered up. Just by listening there is only a veryyyy slight change in sound when the solenoid is powered.

Any ideas? Am I missing something? I'm sure not looking forward to the expense and hassle of pulling the injectors or paying the dealer to check the timing. Especially if I don't need to.
Ken

[ 12-27-2003, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: The Buffalo Guy ]

diesel65
12-26-2003, 19:13
Try advancing the IP "rotate towards drivers side", the reason I say so is because I retarded my timing on my 85 to tone down the wicked marbles in the can start up when cold. Now i have the problem you are having, If I don't let the engine warm up for a few minutes it will misfire on a few cylinders and lay out a cloud of raw diesel smoke when I drive away.
Just try advancing the width of a pencil line.

Turbo Al
12-29-2003, 10:47
Hi Ken,
On my 1993 there is a definate difference between the cold start being on and off, it doesn't stay on (I can time it if you like). Mine has a new glow controller and 60g as well and I noticed that the new controller's heat cycle is about 2 seconds shorter than the original one. I just let it cycle twice, the 60g's DO NOT get as hot as the 9g or 11g's.

As a side note you may have an air leak somewhere so tighten up the hoses etc, and check/replace your fuel filter/pump/oil pressure sender.
Good luck
Al
P.S. :D
http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/showthread.php?=&threadid=1642

BuffaloGuy
12-29-2003, 17:06
Hey Al, I enjoyed reading about your buffalo hunt! It's a little different than hunting 'em here.

As I mentioned, I've got the glow extender resistor wired in and I'm getting tons of time. I've also used the push button and it didn't seem to help much. OPS and all check out fine too.

I've got to try moving the pump like Diesel65 mentioned. I looked at it but noticed that I have NO room to do it. My fast idle soleniod is jammed pretty tight up against the thermostat housing. The dealer had a hard time timing it to start with because of this.

I'm still wondering if injectors can act up only when cold. I guess I'll have to pay the dealer to check the timing before pulling all the injectors and getting them tested. What a pain!
Ken

Shad
12-30-2003, 04:36
Dont feel alone, I think I am going through the same symptoms right now.
-Turn key engine turns over
-engine catches but stalls
-turn over second time and starts up idling rough and smoking for a min. or so, after it warms up ok...

My lift pump runs after I try to start the first time, then it must build pressure and second try's a charm.
Can the fuel pressure bleed down overnight?? I dont see any visual leaks and have similar problems as Buffalo guy

BuffaloGuy
12-30-2003, 07:00
Shad,
I've got a fuel pressure gauge plumbed in the line between my filter and the IP. Most mornings I still have a little pressure left over. As soon as I turn the key it's gone though which makes perfect sense. I've learned a ton about the fuel system watching that pressure gauge.

It sounds like your lift pump and OPS are working fine. Maybe your sucking a little air? How are the glow plugs? Or maybe you have a bad injector or two like what I'm suspecting.
Ken

Turbo Al
12-30-2003, 07:33
Ken,
The hunt was just great!Glad you liked the story. If you threw in a couple of :eek: "Aggressive Grizzlies" :eek: on your Ranch you could probably match my hunt ;) I tell you -- I was sure looking over my shoulder a lot :rolleyes:

What kind of injectors did you put in 20,000 miles ago? New or reconditioned? I went with new and have gotten 80,000 miles out of them no problems, original ones went 100,000 miles but a couple were acting up at that time. The four on the Dr. side are pretty easy so I hope it is one of them acting up (if it's an injector).

I gather the lack of clearance (to move pump) is due to the 97 cooling upgrades.

Al

BuffaloGuy
12-30-2003, 08:14
Al,
You got it. The '97 cooling upgrades and the mechanical IP make for a pretty tight fit. If needed I could remove the fast idle soleniod and install a plain old throttle cable to the cab. First I have to find out what's up.

The injectors were supposedly new. I got a rebuilt Avant motor and they should have put new ones in since I paid for new. Paid for new glow plugs too but about 3 or 4 months ago I noticed that my glow plugs were USED and were 9g's! I thought I found my problem and replaced them but while it did help quite a bit it still isn't right. (Avant reimbursed me)

Now I'm starting to wonder if I got new injectors or not since they screwed up on the glow plugs. I talked to Jamie at Avant and he can't seem to find record of what they put in. The numbers on the injectors didn't tell him much either. I guess the only way left to figure it out is to pull them and get them tested.

My original injectors went 185K and seemed just fine. No way should these show any wear. Can an injector not pop properly mostly when cold?

I used to live in Grizzly country. I had 'em in the tent with me twice. A few grizz would do this country some good. Keeps you on your toes!
Ken

Turbo Al
12-30-2003, 18:24
I really don't know if injectors will malfuntion only when cold BUT I have started the 93 in -18 below with no problems -- it did sound like a sack of hammers for a little while :rolleyes:

I guess the easy way out is to remove the four easy ones & have them tested then take it from there. If your luck is anything like mine it will be the injector under the turbo :(

You have done some much work and many improvements no wonder you are getting frustrated.

I will send down a couple of Griz for you, just keep a look out for a BIG crate that shakes a lot ;)
AL