PDA

View Full Version : 2" lift

CATCRACKER
01-31-2005, 13:42
i have a buddy that wants to get 2" of lift out of the front of his 03 duramax. how would he go about this without having to crank the torsion bars? many have said this could not be done. i have heard s/m about some lift biscuts???

thanks for any help

DmaxMaverick
01-31-2005, 14:26
I don't know of any 2" hardware lift kits. They are 4" and up.

Biscuits are great with gravy. Leave them on your plate.

ANYTHING you do to the torsion bars has the same effect. It increases/decreases the index of the bar. Nothing more. Nothing less. The indexing cams are stationary. They have no dynamic quality. They only preset the index at the rear of the torsion bar. Any part of the suspension won't know, or care, how that value came to be.

There are "products" out there that claim to do this better. Unless you intend to increase/decrease the torsion bar index outside its OEM capabilities, they will do absolutely nothing for you. The end result is always the same. More twist on the bars, no matter how you get it there, will have the same effect on the bar, control arms, shocks, and CV joints. There are some on this forum that will argue this point, but I do not agree with them, and neither does the physics.

My '01 has the torsion bars adjusted to increase the front height about 1.5". 75K miles on it like this and no problems. It did need an allignment after the "lift", though. With the OEM cams, you can get about 2.5" lift, but I would not recommend it. The CV joint angles and stock shock throws would not be favorable. 2" would be at or near what I would consider the "upper limit" with just a torsion bar adjustment.

Turbo Al
01-31-2005, 17:58
I adjusted the torsion bars for about 1.5 inches of lift with no apparent difference in ride and the CV's still look pretty parallel.
Al

chris duncan
02-01-2005, 04:04
i saw this link posted about a week ago on here and it looks interesting.

2" lift (http://www.offroadunlimited.com/store/index.php?cPath=22_84_62)

DmaxMaverick
02-01-2005, 10:09
Originally posted by chris duncan:
i saw this link posted about a week ago on here and it looks interesting.

2" lift (http://www.offroadunlimited.com/store/index.php?cPath=22_84_62) This is one of the items I was refering to above. The "keys", or indexing cams, are a genuine waste of money, and time to install them. The only exception would be if your OEM cam's adjustment bolt ran out of threads before you reach your lift goal. I'm sure there may be someone that will encounter this, although on mine at 1.5" of lift, only about 50% of the treads are used. I've also seen 2" of lift on a 2003 and there were still several turns left on the threads.

Using those cams will not change the resulting effect on the suspension components.

It should also be noted:
Any lift you do that involves increasing the index will bring your control arms closer to the full extension limit. Your travel limit will be reduced. Not a real problem with a street only vehicle, but can sure cause problems off road when you bounce off the control arm extension limit. Also, too much lift will take the shock out of its operating range, and possibly cause it to beat on its extension limit.

chris duncan
02-02-2005, 04:25
DmaxMaverick

Thanks for the info. I have been around chevys a long time, but the way Chevy does there front suspension is not something I know alot about. I am glad i found this website as it has lots of usefull info.

JimWilson
02-07-2005, 10:06
I installed the "green keys" in my truck over 2 years ago, and they have worked fine since day one. I also added Rancho 9000 shocks at that time, and for me the combo has been great.