PDA

View Full Version : Squeelin' is killin'

AlaskaDmax
10-17-2005, 15:43
Hey all...allow me to step out of the shadows again..if only for a moment.

My '02 has developed a squeel from the drivetrain.
At first it was slight and intermittent, only in reverse.
Now it has taken over forward direction and is not slight in the farthest stretches of the word...it is killin me.
I made an appointment for next week...wondering if anyone knows what might be up...possibly fix myself.

I had a buddy back up slowly in a parking lot and it seemed to be coming from the bearing on the drive shaft, holding it up.

I will take a pic and post it if needed...

Thanks in advance....any help would be great.

Jim Brzozowski
10-19-2005, 08:10
I don't know if they are on your truck or not, but those little clips on the brake calipers that squel real loud when it contacts the brake rotor called wear indicators may be the culprit. They're there to tell you to replace the brake pads, because the next sound would be the metal of the rotor and no pad left grinding.
Since you think it coming from the drive shaft, check the U-joints.

DMAXED
10-19-2005, 17:36
Check your ujoints I had one go bad it makes a squeeling noises.

patandcathy
10-19-2005, 22:07
it may be a bent drive shaft, i had one that would squeel but no vibration. had it replaced and no issues after that.

AlaskaDmax
10-20-2005, 16:05
Bent drive shaft I think would be easy to see...
Also, I would think there would have to have been a traumatic precursor to that happening...

BUT, what am I looking for as far as the U-Joints go? I could see looking for play (wiggle), but what other visible indicators would there be?

Thanks for the inputs, I appreciate it.
Gonna have to wait til tomorrow, night has fallen and the truck is too big for the garage!

---Russ

DmaxMaverick
10-20-2005, 17:36
I had a buddy back up slowly in a parking lot and it seemed to be coming from the bearing on the drive shaft, holding it up.
Two piece drive shaft? Very likely the carrier bearing, and/or the insulator.

patandcathy
10-20-2005, 19:36
i couldnt tell mine was bent until they took it off the truck, also dont know how it was bent.. just a possibility to look at.

AlaskaDmax
10-27-2005, 15:39
Well, I crawled under the truck and did a good eyeball inspection.
It appears the sleeve that runs through the bearing has shifted through the carrier. I am guessing that the squeeling is coming from the rubber and metal.?

Anyway I guess I am going to take it to the dwealer for fixin'.
I just hope they cover it under the drivetrain 100K warranty.

Thanks for the inputs.

AlaskaDmax

DmaxMaverick
10-28-2005, 04:08
Originally posted by AlaskaDmax:
Anyway I guess I am going to take it to the dwealer for fixin'.
I just hope they cover it under the drivetrain 100K warranty.

Thanks for the inputs.

AlaskaDmax Your "drivetrain" warranty is 36K. Engine warranty is 100K. It won't be covered if over 36K. Save yourself a trip, or let them tell you when you get there.

AlaskaDmax
10-30-2005, 18:17
I have to give that a huge whoppin "DOH!"

I could swear that I read the drivetrain was 100K.

But, you know...it's got to get fixed one way or the other...depending on the price...might be best to let them do it.

Thanks for all the input...

Alaskadmax