PDA

View Full Version : 04 wheel problem

jaoder
02-01-2005, 10:57
I have a 04 Duramax DRW CC that is less than a year old that the wheels are rusting on. I have noticed this on all the wheels and it appears to be a defective finsh and was wondering if anyone else had had this problem.

Thanks,

John

More Power
02-02-2005, 17:32
Most of the DRW trucks I see on the road, that have some time/miles on them, all have finish issues on the steel wheels. The deep offset makes them vulnerable to stone chips, which progress into rust. Those who live in areas that see salt or de-icer on winter roads experience the problem sooner.

You can get chrome covers for the steel wheels used on the front of the truck. I'd think a good powder coat would protect better than paint.

Perhaps others will have some additional ideas.

MP

Nix
02-03-2005, 23:54
Powder coating will chip off, and any attachment points (i.e. where lug nut meets wheel) will need to be masked. If the lug nuts are torqued over the powder coating, vibration will cause the powder coating to turn back to powder, then your lugs will get loose. :eek:
If you can find a painter with a fresh air mask, Imron(made by DuPont IIRC) is the way to go. Really toxic to work with. I heard that this is the stuff that the military paints helicopter rotor blades with so that they will not get destroyed by desert sand.
My .02