PDA

View Full Version : 4WD vs 2WD mileage

mjammer
02-01-2005, 13:41
I am close to buying a 2500HD Crew Cab longbed with the Duramax/Allison and I keep flip-flopping on the 2WD vs 4WD decision. One thing I was wondering is how much of an impact the 4WD has on the infamous mileage question?

Thanks in advance

jcummins
02-01-2005, 15:06
There may be a little better mileage with 2wd just because you don't have as much turning, but I went through this a couple of years ago. I went 4wd because of resale value, thinking I had little use for 4wd the way I currently use the truck....wrong....First hookup, in my back yard, a little wet grass would not let me pull my fifth wheel out without going to 4wd. AND due to corporate buyout I now in Pittsburgh, with snow etc....get the 4wd, you will regret it if you don't. BTW, I just drove from Houston to Ill, to Pittsburgh. The first leg of the trip I drove 73-75 on cruise. I got 19.7mpg.....AND I have not been getting that of late, more like mid 17teens....the difference, a freah fuel filter just before the trip. Worth 2mpg.

mjammer
02-02-2005, 04:02
Thanks. It looks like I may be going 4WD just because I can't find a 2WD setup like I want anyway unless I decide to order. Today or tomorrow will decide. I could be broke by the weekend ;)