PDA

View Full Version : chevy 4x4 system

R Waller
06-26-2002, 13:13
chevy 4x4 system

Im test driving new trucks this weekend and I'm going to give the chevy D/A a fair shake, my main concern, mostly due to lack of knowledge is the GM's 4x4 system. I use my 4x4, both in true mud, and rocky hills, I love the ford system of manual hubs and manual transfer case, it works all the time every time, idiot proof and tougher than boot leather. I know im going to like the chevy truck due to ride quality and drive train, but i dont want to have to worry about the truck getting stuck somewhere because the damn 4x4 system got Finicky and quit working...

I have a hunting buddy who used to drive nothing but chevy 4x4's but after I had to pull him out two or three times one month because his front wheels wouldnt engage and the dealer count make it work all the time he switched brands.....but that was on the older style, has the 4x4 system been improved since then in the HD's???

Any of you guys have any real word experience with this 4x4 system ?? and im not talking wet grass experiences, and slick concrete...

and does it take a lift to run 33" or 35" tires on these thhings ?

Colorado Kid
06-26-2002, 17:26
Has the 4 wheel drive system been improved?

Yes, the thermal actuators are gone and not missed.

If my math is right a 255/85R16 is 10"x33", and it fits w/o a lift. 305/75R16 would be about 12"x34", and is rumored to fit with some rubbing or trimming of soft things like air-dams. I think getting 35"s on is going to get expensive, but the lifts exist.

Nothing is going to give these trucks the agility of a built up Jeep TJ, and the frame rails do hang a bit low beneath the cab, but dragging the frame doesn't do damage like dragging the T-case. The Allison has its tender Park/Neutral/Reverse switch hanging out in the breeze, which has caused some folks some trouble.

Mine is 2WD, so I'll be using other toys when I venture off the wet grass/slick concrete!

hoot
06-26-2002, 19:49
Give it a whirl and report back. No system is trouble free. I had a few older models with the old front actuator. The problems I had was slow engagement at times and very hard shifting the manual case into 4x4.

The last couple trucks I had, had the newer systems with the newer actuator and push button 4x4. They always have worked flawlessly for me. I don't do a lot of real offroading but do get some snow runs once in a while.

If I was in need of a real offroading truck I would'nt be driving a crew cab. Ground clearance is an issue. I believe the 4x4 sytems are quite reliable. Remember, similar systems are in use in the new Dodge, the Dakota, the F150. Even the Dodge front SFA has a central disconnect system.

BTW: The HD's use a larger front dif than the lighter trucks. The entire suspension on the HD is newly designed in 2001 for the HD's. It may look similar but they claim it's all new. I personally love the sealed front wheel bearings. No hubs, manual or problematic auto hubs. I never heard of anyone ever having to service the front wheel bearings. Not that they never get serviced, just is very rare. Probably the weakest link up front are the puny tie rods.

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

R Waller
06-27-2002, 05:20
my offroading mostly needs the front end pulling, I just need to know its gonna be pulling, ;)
the length of the crewcab isnt a hinderence and I know the GM will drag the frame quicker then my
Ford.... ?
My intention is a small lift or leveling kit so i can run a 31" to 33" tire, If I can run a 33"x12.5" with just a leveling kit, I'll be pleased.

Whats gonna be funny, is I converted probably a dozen friends to powerstrokes, If I come home in a chevy, I'll probably get chewed out good smile.gif
Mike, I'll start test driving friday and saturday, I'll let you know what I think, Im also going to drive a dodge cummins, but their auto is even worse then the ford, plus their truck is just plain ugly.... ;)

txguppy
06-27-2002, 05:38
RWaller, brace yourself for your test drive of the Chevy. It'll be a blast (off). You won't believe the difference between it and the F@$d. You'll be able to "ride" the Chevy vs. "driving" the F@$d. As for the D@#$e well it's a D@#$e, nough said! :D
Don't worry about the electronic 4x4 system. I use it on the ranch regularly, NO problems.

txguppy

01GMC SLE 4X4 2500HD D/A Pewter/Pewter,
Michelin LTX M/S, Steelhorse running boards,
Roll Top Cover, Weathertech Floor Mats,
Ranch Hand Grill Guard, K/N Airfilter
Phantom II Detector/Jammer, Fumoto, Amsoil
soon to be underseat storage box

hoot
06-27-2002, 05:50
Randy,

I believe if you do a search on tire fitment on this site, you'll find most of what you are asking will fit. I have 255/85-16's on mine which I believe are close to 33" but are narrow. You can level the truck just by cranking the torsion bars up about four or five turns. These new front ends are different than the old C/K's. They can take 1" to 1-1/2" of front lift with no effect on ride quality. Trust me. They changed the way the thing bottoms out in the redesign. They even tout the ability to modify the front end height in the "hype" ;)

Good to see you're including the GM in your "testing". Get what suits you best. I like the Dmax for it's all around performance. Once you get up close and personal with this engine/trans, you really get attached.

BTW: I'm rarely under the hood. Check oil once in a while, change it, grease it and go.

Big O
06-30-2002, 06:15
R Waller
I am not sure if the Allison is available with the manuel transfer case, but I know the ZF6 is, and it works flawless. But we are out of luck as far as manual hubs go.

Me4OSU
06-30-2002, 15:35
RWaller,

I think you will really like the Chevy 4x4 system. I've got a '89 3/4 ton that all its done is farm and ranch work from dragging trailers to feeding cattle all winter and the only problem I had was 1 actuator that quit me. Lots of Chevy 4x4's in this area.

To be fair, I just sold my '99 Dodge Cummins 4x4. The 4x4 system worked well also with exception of the "locking rear end" which was pretty well worthless. That pickup was so heavy in front it had to be in 4 wheel ANY time you got near a mud puddle.

I'm back to a Duramax now . . . hope Chevy has their stuff together.

Fishnfool
06-30-2002, 18:02
Big-O

Just ordered a 2003 2500HD DuraMax/Allison with manual shift transfer case. A relative has same truck in a 2002 also with manual case. Almost all dealer stock trucks will have the pushbutton setup so best way to get the manual is to order your truck with it.

Turbo Al
06-30-2002, 19:03
I am in the same boat as Me4OSU I do a lot of 4x4ing and on my 1993 the thermal actuator quit once in 175,000 miles of driving & was replaced by another thermal actuator (in 1995) which is still working fine in the truck to this day. I have had no problems with the 4x4 on the 2001.
on edit I ordered the 2001 with the manual shift lever.

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]</p>

Me4OSU
06-30-2002, 20:00
Turbo Al brought up something I forgot. Both the '89 and my 2002 have the manual shift transfer case. I wanted it that way after riding in a friends '98 pushbutton 4x4 that MIGHT go into 4x4 or it MIGHT not. The little motor went out on his and cost him @ $250 I think just to put the motor back in. He did buy a 2002 with pushbuttons. Says he likes the floor clean.

I don't know what the option for pushbuttons cost but I think simple is better. Its not that hard to pull that little lever into gear and "feel" it snap in . . . especially when you really need it to go in quick.

Turbo Al
07-01-2002, 09:33
I also didn't order power windows, power locks, cassette or CD, carpets, etc etc ALL these dodads have a short life expencetancy in a truck that travels the gravel pot holes that they call roads up here in the back country. I gave up on the tape deck in the 1993 (cassette not 8 track smile.gif ) after the 3rd one died.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]</p>