PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rotation

GMFAN70
09-05-2003, 10:19
I did a search for tire rotation but didn't get this question answered.

In a 4-tire rotation, should the tires be crossed over to the other side as recommended in my owners manual? Local tire shops say no, don't reverse the direction of rotation on radial tires!

That's the consensus here?

a64pilot
09-05-2003, 10:34
I rotate mine (6 tires) IAW the manual. I'll get 70,000 out of the stock tires it looks like.

JMPDMax
09-05-2003, 12:27
Good Question...

Unless the tires are directional, why wouldn't you follow what is in the manual? I know most shops simply swap front to back and not do the crossover. When did the front-to-back rotation start? Was it because of radial tires? If so, how come the tire manual from the tire manufacturer still shows crossover rotation for a radial tire?

I think the front-to-back must be favored because it's just quicker and less confusing....

Still, I've only done the front-to-back on my vehicles for years. I fact, I can't remember the last crossover one I had done. I usually get about 30,000 - 40,000 out of a set. Of course, the 'FireBomb' tires that came with the truck ain't gonna make it that far. The wear on them is awful....

Later....

chuntag95
09-05-2003, 14:24
I found some info at Tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/rotate.htm) , but it doesn't clear up the directional vs. non directional tire question. :confused: I understand the wheel part, but don't think that looks should superseed the function. :rolleyes:

DmaxMaverick
09-05-2003, 15:03
The old school rule was do not cross over radials. Back when radials were new, as was the technology, tire separations were blamed on reversing the rotation of radials.

Technology has advanced, but the fear hasn't. Quality tires shouldn't have any issues, according to the manufacturers. If you rotate according to their recommendations and blow a tire because of it, it's up to them to replace the tires. With the exception of the recent Ford/Firestone problems, tire issues are rare.

JEBar
09-05-2003, 16:33
Many years of "X-ing" front tires to rear and moving rear tires straight up in a 4 tire rotation has served me well ... Jim

Cliffee
09-06-2003, 01:05
I move front to backs and cross rears towards the front. So far at 13k tire wear is very minimal and very even. Don't forget correct tire pressure is just as important!!!

jbplock
09-06-2003, 07:43
I have experienced an increase in tire noise and vibration after a cross rotation on several vehicles (reverse in roll direction). I was told by at least two "tire professionals" that it was caused by a shift in the steel belts. The worst problem I had was on my 98 dually. I put on a new set of tires and they ran very smooth until I cross-rotated them per the manual. After the rotation they were noisy and vibration increased. I had them re-balanced but it didn't help. My guess is that a reverse in direction does not affect all tires the same. So, I always rotate such that the tires do not reverse rotation. (just my $.02) smile.gif

tysmith
09-06-2003, 10:44
JB is right. I had two sets of tires go 'bad' caused by dealer rotation - doing the cross-over. Radials don't seem to like going the wrong way.

Ty

LA DMAX
09-06-2003, 11:03
I asked the tech at Americas tire Co and he said that they cross the fronts and move the backs straight up. He said that this gives each tire a spot on each corner. I have had my tires rotated 4 times already and the only problem is light feathering on the front very outer edge after 5000 miles. Once I put them in the back they seem to loose that feather. Hope it helps.

LA DMAX

k1xv
09-07-2003, 04:32
At one time, it was recommended that cross over be avoided on radial tires, because changing direction of rotation could weaken a tire that had taken a "set" based on its original direction of rotation. More recently, this recommendation was recinded.

However, I am still wearing out my OEM Firestones, and, given Firestone's reputation for leaving large chunks of rubber and passengers on the road, would prefer to keep the "challenges" to the tires as small as possible, so I am not crossing over.

Remember to readjust pressures, front and rear, to your correct levels!!

GMFAN70
09-07-2003, 09:31
OK Guys. Thanks for a very interesting discussion. Looks like we don't really have a consensus here but rather, and just as it should be, we each decide according to our own experience and opinion!

My brief survey of tire manufacturer's web sites indicates they recommend crossing tires on rear-wheel and 4-wheel drive vehicles. So I guess I'll go with GM's recommendation and continue to override the policy at our local Les Schwab store.

Thanks All.