PDA

View Full Version : I have the Go but whta about the whoa?

tmg115
06-26-2002, 20:24
well i have the go with the maximizer and the juice but what about brakes? is there any performance brakes out there? something to let me stop a little better.

gardnerteam
06-26-2002, 21:19
Try Praise Dyno Brake in Royse City Texas.
972-636-2722 with a fax of 972-635-6306
He has a few different options that really work. I buy a lot of his Kevlar brakes for our Central America vehicles - driven fast, through sand, volcanic crap, and mud. Though I have not put a set on the D/A yet, I have used them on my prior CC4X4 Penisular, suburbans, blazers, V8 Audi, Porsche's, and OR racers. Great for towing, never got hot nor faded, and I was towing 20,000 lbs behind a 9,900 lb cc. Very knowledgeable people.

schnier
06-27-2002, 04:36
Yes I know what you mean, every time you punch it you have to slam the brakes on when you catch up with traffic or get slowed down. What a terrible problem to have with a diesel truck. Is this thing great or what?

stretch
06-29-2002, 07:23
Wow tmg115, You are a demanding person !!! Here I was really impressed with the brakes on my truck compared to my last truck (95 K2500) and you go and rain on my parade demanding enhanced braking ! Don't we spend enough on the GO ? Now I have feelings of inadequacies. Time to see the shrink ;) tongue.gif

hoot
06-29-2002, 07:37
The brakes on these trucks are incredible. Not only that, they are trouble free.

FirstDiesel
06-29-2002, 08:12
The first time I really stepped on the brakes in my truck I found I needed to adjust the seat!! I was not used to the power, leather seat and had the front edge a little too low and started sliding out of the seat!! I now have the front of the seat raised to prevent me from ending up on the floor. smile.gif

Compared to my burb or my S10 these brakes are excellent!!

mackin
06-29-2002, 08:21
I have to disagree on the brakes , maybe on the 2500 a little less weight , but I can feel the front rotors have run out way before 15,000 miles all ready , that an the E-BRAKE sux's .......

Doesn't hold for nuttin........ I can have my truck in gear ,slight incline (pointing up hill in D) E-Brake smashed to the carpet ,it still rolls .......POOH POOH .........

MAC :confused:

[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
06-29-2002, 08:41
^...Mack Daddy, push the clutch in and let up on the accelerator pedal while you're on the hill. It is easier on the e-brake. tongue.gif

POOH POOH ???? D@mn it boy...... LMAO..... "AH CHIT" !!

Have a great weekend, as I chase the chicks. LOL

[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

hoot
06-29-2002, 10:16
Honestly does any vehicle have really strong emergency brakes?

I have not heard in a year and a half of any brake troubles. Mackin, how do you know you're having problems for sure? Do you mean the pads or the rotors at 15,000 miles? I'm at 31,000 miles and my brakes are like new still. I know I'm hard on brakes. Gotta stop fast when you're goin fast ;)

FirstDiesel
06-29-2002, 11:41
Mackin

If you can push your e brake pedal to the floor and it's not holding you need to probably get the cable adjusted. The cables stretch and then they don't pull on the brake enough. There should be an adjuster somewhere in the middle of the cable. Shorten the cable and see if it works better.

mackin
06-29-2002, 12:25
hoot,

When I'm coming down an exit ramp with a descent head of steam, I get a pulsating peddle from the front rotors, tells me they are out of round. Had it for some time know, all though I'll confess it's really noticeable under heavy braking, but a sign of stress .......

Larry,

I am aware that part of my E-Brake problem is one side is real contaminated with grape juice (see PICS)..... Cable stretched ya I'll bet, I do use it every time force of habit ....... I'm gonna have to bring it in soon .....

I'm making a least ...... Checking it twice .... Gonna find out if it's Friged up or not .......

Before you think I might of over torque my NUTS on a tire rotation ..... PLEASE, I think not ...... Got my half inch torque wrench out each and every time, I got air tools but I sweat it out, busted My N$TS, doing it manual so as not to get this condition...... Seen what those APES can do at a tire shack ......

MAC :D smile.gif :D

[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMFAN70
06-29-2002, 12:31
I'd have to agree with FirstDiesel. I never forget the e-brake because the truck doesn't want to move with it engaged (6000 mi.) Maybe with full throttle, but sure not with normal start-off power.

NutNbutGMC
06-29-2002, 18:22
The brakes on my diesel machine stops it on a dime and gives $0.09 back. Next to the tranny, the 4-wheel disc brakes are my favorite thing.

Desert Diesel
06-29-2002, 19:02
mackin,

FWIW
My wife’s '00 suburban had the same problem with the E-brake. First they replaced the cable. But, every 6 months the problem would come back and all the dealer would do was adjust the shoes.

At 38,000 miles the dealer told us the pads on the shoes had worn out and destroyed the drum, which is part of the rotor. They wanted $1000 to repair it. :eek: They wanted $500 just for the rotor. :eek:

I told my wife she didn't need no stinkin E-brake.
So of course she proceeded to make an appointment to have it repaired at a frame & brake shop for half the cost.

So make sure they repair it while it is still under warranty.

Regards,

David

JEBar
06-30-2002, 05:56
Mack :confused: ... from reading your post, thought the only pedal you used is the one on the right :confused: are you sure (out of force of habit) that you aren't hitting it instead of the one on the far left...Just asking, with your highly Juiced D'max and well trained Allison, your truck is programmed to go-go-go not whoa-whoa-whoa ... seriously, my 3500's regular brakes work really well and e-brake holds as it should, have had a bent rotor on previous vehicles and know what you are experiencing...never had any luck having one trued, always found that once warped replacement was the only lasting option :cool:

Maverick
06-30-2002, 14:33
I think the brakes are pretty good. I am very surprised at 76,000 miles and the loads I pull that I have 75% of my pads left. All I have is an annoying squeal on the left front. The pads are glazed I think.

MEP
07-01-2002, 19:28
My emergency brake works fine. (It has to. I have a manual box) My MAIN BRAKES ARE'T SO GOOD. Last spring I started feeling a slight pulsation during moderate braking thats now turning into a problem thats noticable by passengers. This is not the normal ABS pulsation, but a pulsation due to a brake rotor not running true! I have not pulled the wheels and put a dial gauge on the rotors because I have a problem with having to do this to a truck that just turned 24K miles! Any one else having this problem? These rotors are BIG and will cost BIG bucks. Are brake rotors under warrenty?

JB, member #739

mackin
07-01-2002, 19:48
JEBar,

Yup, you are so right that's why they should still be brand new.Every once and awhile a LITTLE OLE LADY pulls out in front and I refer not to make her part of my grill .......

MEP,

Exactly. That's what I got besides a non functional E-brake ... I can drive off with it on no problem ....... Of course I'm JUICED, But it will roll on idle nevertheless.......

How exactly does the e-brake work on these trucks? Is it hydraulic or mechanical turn like a ratchet? Is this how the self adjust? I mean the rear caliper must adjust to wear of pad or soon no ones one work all that great......I really should crawl under there and investigate ...... Good thing for the parking paw ....... I really got to, or get it fixed...

MAC :D

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AzKevin
07-01-2002, 20:15
The brakes are great, the stock tires on the otherhand don't have enough surface area for quick stops. The result is ABS activation and skidding.