PDA

View Full Version : oil pump and seal

coxfmly
07-25-2005, 20:57
My brother owns a 1985 sub with a n/a 6.5
He is planning on installing a new oil pump.
What type or model number should he be looking to install over the stock unit?

Since he will drop the oil pan should he look into another type of rear/front pan seal?
I know on my 6.2 w/banks, I installed a stronger type due to the added load.

john8662
07-25-2005, 22:29
The 6.5 won't need a different rear main seal because it is a single piece rear main seal and can't be serviced by just removing the pan, you have to remove the transmission (but not the pan). You're thinking of the 82-91 6.2's that have two piece rear main seals, the better replacement for turbo being the neoprene version instead of the rope seal. The front main seal, can be replaced w/o removing the pan as well.

As far as installing a new oil pump, I have to ask WHY?

Unless he is having low oil pressure all of a sudden, I wouldn't think that the oil pump is at fault. It is true, however, that they do fail (I've been there done that).

If he is content to upgrading the oil pump, I'd suggest the 98+ oil pump and related oil pickup tube to replace the stock oil pump. This pump is a higher volume pump, not higher pressure (although it will raise PSI about ~5-10 psi all around).

coxfmly
07-26-2005, 04:42
Yep, he has an issue with the oil pressure. It is reading quite low, that's why we are thinking that it needs to be changed.
The engine is new with less that 1000 miles on it. It had been installed into this truck years ago by the previous owner never to be driven.
The truck was junked because this gentleman couldn't get it started.
He was using starter fluid to get her going,he blew the glow plugs!
My brother picked up the truck for free, changed the glow plugs and away he went.
We figured it out when we found numerous cans of empty starter fluid in the back. They were next to the $5000+ receipt for the engine!

As far as the 98 and up, He should just ask for a 98 6.5 pump? Were they all the same after this year?

Thanks for the data, it really helps.

rjschoolcraft
07-26-2005, 06:30
I think some more information is needed here.

What year is the engine? Do you know the casting number?