PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings

red sled
02-05-2005, 08:22
Does anyone have the part number for the wheel bearings? Is this an assembly or just the bearing? I have called the part store with no help. But it sounds like the bearings are bad in the front wheels. I have a 02 with 60K miles

More Power
02-05-2005, 11:40
Don't know for sure about the 2500HD/3500, but I needed to replace a front wheel bearing in our Project truck last fall. It was an assembly - hub and bearings came together as a unit. This one cost $90.

MP

roger350
02-05-2005, 14:29
I suggest you go to/call a GM dealer parts department and make sure they use your VIN to look up the part. There are about 4-6 different part numbers out there, and no telling which one is right for your vehicle. I had different GM dealers tell me at least 4 different numbers. find one that asks for your VIN. Then double check with another that uses the VIN to be sure. Autozone has the wrong number, even though they'll tell you it's for an HD, and after waiting for it for a week when you pick it up it will be a 6 lug design.

All this is based on a 4x4, if you have a 2wd I'd still let a GM parts department give you the right number, then go buy it from GMpartsdirect for less.

Jake99Z71
02-05-2005, 16:33
It's an assembly that runs about $225.

medic198
02-05-2005, 16:37
Be carefull on dealers prices. I had a left wheel bearing aasly go bad, $350.00 at a local dealer, $100.00 less 50 miles South. It's an assly, you'll need the vin# to get the right one, lug and brakes had a issue CarQuest told me thay could get just the bearing, but didn't follow up on it. Look and call different dealers, will save you some money. Be carefull with AutoZone, no vin# break on their part look up....will be a 6 lug if ordered like the other posting has reported. Dealer will charge 2 hrs time to replace, do it yourself, abt an hour if you have all the tools,. good luck.

red sled
02-05-2005, 16:44
I called the local dealer and they are asking $370.00 per wheel. Just a bit pricey for me there must be somewhere on the Internet to find them. As far as the labor I can handle that myself. The price just seems absurd to me.

a5150nut
02-05-2005, 22:11
On my old 94, the bearing came from the dealer with the rotor attached. The bearing is available solo if you find a GOOD brake and suspention supply.

The one I used was Brake Part Supply in Chico, Ca. 530 893-4545

KenZ
02-08-2005, 13:15
GM Parts direct. Half price of what the dealer is asking. Get on the web site and send them your vin number and they will get you a part number. I would give you mine, but I don't have it with me right now. I think it was $185 plus shipping. No state tax. So it worked out to about $220.00. Wasn't too difficult a job. It is one assembly. The bolts were very tight and needed some leverage, but not much room, so I had to turn the wheel to the right and left to get to them. Took about a week shipping.

apparently the cost is high due to the sensor for the antilock breaks. So they told me.

Good luck.

BradL
02-09-2005, 11:01
It took gmpartsdirect 3 tries on the part #, but I finally got a part # that could be processed as an order.

It appears that all that is involved is to remove the caliper and then the 4 bolts attaching the hub assembly?

RWA II
02-16-2005, 08:07
I just replaced both of my front hub assemblies due to bad bearings. I only have 40k on my truck and there is no reason why these bearings are shot. I talked to my dealer and he agreed. He shipped me the two assemblies and you are right that the labor is no big deal. I have the part number at home but the price of 370 was correct.

Idle_Chatter
03-03-2005, 05:47
This was a very timely thread as it looks like I'm on board for at least a left bearing. Just got back from a two-week 3,000 mile Florida trip and what started out as a bit of shimmy and steering wheel shake (which I thought was a wheel balance issue) at the beginning of the trip has evolved into a steady shaking and knocking in the left front. Turned 99,000 miles on the way back, so I guess it's due.

jgsxr1251
03-15-2005, 05:46
Dropped mine off this morning at the dealer.... Does the shake/grind/strange feeling get worse as you slow down? If so, I'm due for a left front on my 3500 4x4.

What is the typical cost if the dealer does the work? Will it need a front end alignment?

BradL
03-15-2005, 08:10
Dealer price for the wheel bearing assembly is $350, versus $222 delivered from gmpartsdirect.com. I was quoted labor of $130, but did the work myself - it's only 6 bolts - 2 for the brake caliper and 4 for the hub assembly, and then one 36 mm nut for the axle. Took me 2 hours start to finish - brake caliper bolts had anti-seize from the factory, and took a little work to remove. I wouldn't think an alignment would be necessary just to replace the wheel bearing assembly.

jgsxr1251
03-15-2005, 11:05
Just picked my truck up from the dealer.... They told me it was the lower u-joint on the rear driveshaft and that my rotors needed turned (pads are supposidly fine). Said they could have it done in a couple of hours for the small fee of just under $600. I told them to forget it, I'll pick my truck up after work...

Parts direct price for u joint was $95 list, $55 cost. Dealers price was $150 for the u-joint kit.

Unreal.... Guess I'll work on it this weekend. I still have a hard time believing the u-joint is the problem....

madmatt
03-15-2005, 14:51
joints will vibrate the worst while coasting down and rotors will grind/pulsate while braking. vibrating while coasting and it goes away when accelerating i'd go to the joint first. only when braking does it act up, then I'd start at the rotors.

[ 03-15-2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: madmatt ]

DmaxMaverick
03-15-2005, 20:17
U-joints $150????

Get them from Autozone for around $10. Ask for "Brute Force" part # 2-0053BF. They are excellent joints, probably better than the GM replacements. There is nothing special about the U-joints the dealer is selling, except the price. These came recommended to me by a very reputable GM tech.

David Proske
03-15-2005, 23:37
Wheel bearings going out @40-60k miles. Boy thats really sad. GM and from what I have read Ford and Dodge are doing it to, just build them cheaper and cheaper, but yet charge an arm and two legs for them.

D/A
04-17-2005, 21:36
Mine right front is out at 43,000 what kind of crap is this 45,ge000.00 for a truck and you get this along with front end raddle and gear boxes that squeel as you turn the wheel. I guess a fool and his money soon part. Will have to look to Ford or Dodge next.

More Power
04-18-2005, 09:54
Personally, I'd visit a local driveline specialty shop to have them install the new u-joints. The shop here in Montana does a great job, uses Spicer sealed joints (no zerks, which is what I wanted), and balances the repaired assemblies. I had them build me two new drivelines last year for Lil Red - one for the front and one for the rear. I supplied the transfer case output yoke & 1410 joint, and they supplied the rest. Total cost was $five hundred something. To replace one joint should be less than $100.

MP

hd90rider
04-19-2005, 23:52
you guys sure are hard on your trucks. 432,000 on mine with no bearing probs. yet. just kiddin ya ,on being hard !! I do have the miles on the truck.

Driveshaft
04-24-2005, 05:10
Would be nice to see a picture of the odometer with that many miles on it. I'm not doubting you, just would be peace of mind that they will go that many miles.