PDA

View Full Version : Install CB Radio

volcano4x4
03-02-2002, 21:07
Has anyone installed a CB Radio in their truck??? If so how did you get the cable through the firewall or floor board ???

Any help is appreciated.

Volcano4x4

DSLPOWR
03-02-2002, 21:13
http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002827
You may have to copy/paste that address since ubb code isn't enabled.
Hoot has a good pic in there that may help. I ran all my accessory wires though the boot type hole on the driver side. That works well also.

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: DSLPOWR ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
03-02-2002, 22:33
Custom antenna mount ---&gt; http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=640490&uid=136857&members=1

Antennas and all you'll need to know about them ---&gt; http://www.firestik.com/

Alli-max
03-03-2002, 00:27
Ran mine from the bed, through the drain hole in the bed, followed the frame rail, and entered the cab from the bottom side. Drilled a hole, used a grommet and siliconed it to make sure it was sealed. Took maybe 20 minutes to install / run cable.

BobNelson
03-03-2002, 10:13
NutN..... Very nice install.. I have used firestick before and like the product.

A couple of questions. Looked at the firestick site and cannot determin which mount you used. Your pics are not real clear where you drilled.

Can you clarify? And, where did you mount the CB?

Outside temp should go above 25 today so will open the hood and take a look. I have to go with the short antenna because of the Camper.

Smorey
03-03-2002, 10:16
Nut,

I went to firesticks web page. Which antenna mount is that in the photo? Very clean installation.

SoMnDMAX
03-03-2002, 13:48
Actually, that mount isn't available from Fire Stick or anyone else. That mount was designed and manufactured by yours truly. Thanks for the complements!! smile.gif

There's no drilling involved. The mount mounts to the two rearmost fender bolts on the top of the fender. The only modification necessary is to the plastic cover.

NutNbutGMC
03-03-2002, 14:54
Sorry for the confusion. I posted the URL that I had saved because I liked the mount myself. That belongs to SomnDmax. The picture page has his alias identified on it. I posted this for reference and to compliment SomnDmax as to his nice install. However, I can't tell how it is mounted on the inside. I referenced the Firestick web site as another reference site, in that this is probably the better quality product that I have found available. SomnDmax, I apologize if I have stolen your thunder, but your custom mount will speak for itself. Good job. Please post a pic or two, in order to show the under-hood mount.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
03-03-2002, 18:47
No problem Nut!! Thanks again for the complements.

I will try to get my truck back into the shop later tonight and get some pics. Right now it's colder than a Witches' t*t :eek: outside...

As for antennas, Firestick's are the way to go. I've tried the Radio Shack stuff, the "Diesel" (truckstop wares) brand, and have found the Firesticks to tune the best while being the most durable. Firestick also has a very neat external tune option- NO MORE PULLING WIRES!! Just loosen the jam nut, and screw the brass "bolt" in and out to tune the SWR curve. Neat stuff!! :D

TxDoc
09-04-2002, 21:38
btt for Greg.

glamisboy
09-05-2002, 21:11
Put my Uniden (cb) where GM thought a tape player really should be. No drilling, or cutting, perfect fit (except behind the cb for the ant. wire), even used the brackets from the tape player. My radio (cb) has the mike attachment in the front, couldn't ask for a better set up. No external speaker needed.

Mounted the firestick to the top lid of the Roll-n-lock, really like the set up.

There's my .02

Paintdude
09-05-2002, 21:24
I used an antenna that glues to the glass (double sided tape)..I was suprised and still am at how good the reception is..I forget where I got it, I have had it on my last 3 trucks....No holes.. smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
09-06-2002, 10:40
Moved to Accessories Forum.