PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Question

2K2AD
09-07-2003, 06:44
This has probably been covered before, but a search reveals only dead topics.

I had my truck aligned yesterday and the tech could not get the Camber to come into specs. The knockouts were removed and the PS/DS forward control arm mounting point would move in and out to the keyway limits just fine. When he went to adjust the rear control arm mount point it would only adjust from the top to about midrange on the keyway. He could not figure out why the rear control arm wouldn't move the remainder of the keyway adjustment. All this resulted in the camber not coming in all the way. I did not remember hearing about this on the board and he said he never had one that wouldn't adjust like that. Do any of you guys know why the adjustment range is inhibited on both the PS/DS like this? Is it normal? If so, how do you get the Camber to come in right?

Thanks,
Kevin

[ 09-07-2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: 2K2AD ]

Paintdude
09-08-2003, 19:38
Kevin my only GUESS would be that he didnt use a big enough bar(Long enough breaker bar,etc) on the rear adjuster. They can be tough to turn at times. other than that, you might take the truck someplace else and see what they find..Good Luck.

Sandaholic
09-08-2003, 20:38
I too had my alignment done today and had some problems with the tech. I had the green keys put in earler today so I knew I needed to get the alignment done.

Here is what they finished with:
Left: (min to max)
Camber: -1.4 (-0.25 to 0.75)
Caster: 2.0 (3.00 to 5.00)
Toe: 0.03 (-0.05 to 0.15)

Right: (min to max)
Camber: 1.6 (-0.25 to 0.75)
Caster: 2.2 (3.75 to 5.75)
Toe: 0.03 (-0.05 to 0.15)

The little I know about alignment, the Camber and Caster seem to be way off when looking at the numbers. The truck rides great and tracks true. I am planning on taking the truck to another location as soon as I get a chance. I also noticed the knock outs were not touched.

2K2AD
09-09-2003, 18:59
PD,

He had about a three foot bar on it and asked me to come over and give it a tug. It was not hitting a hard stop, but more like soft resistance. I pulled on it as much as I thought I could get away with, I really felt the head of the bolt was going to go soon.

Sanaholic,

I'll post my alignment specs a little later (its raining and they are in the truck). They are pretty similar to yours and mine tracks pretty straight too. I am not an alignment expert, but I'd bet if the knockouts weren't removed the camber wasn't set.

Kevin

SoMnDMAX
09-10-2003, 00:30
Did he have the nut loose enough?

Sometimes the frame brackets aren't perfectly parallel with the "cam" on the head of the bolt, and if the nut isn't loosened enough, you won't be able to turn the adjuster fully.

There could be something else going on though. A person would have to pull it apart and investigate.