PDA

View Full Version : I have committed a syn.

Randee of the Redwoods
09-28-2003, 10:22
Synthetic oil, that is! Finally changed the oil in the Ebay truck. Came out jet black as usual. The 90 degree adapter was in terrible shape and leaked all over. Turns the bolt holding it in wasn't even hand tight. That would explain the leaks. The old Pennzoil filter was screwed on so tight, I had to reinstall the adapter just to get the leverage I needed to remove the filter.
I cleaned everything up as best I could while sadly disheartened that I couldn't install the remote filter setup I just ponied up the cash for. The adapter looked good. I didn't know about that screw on the side which I guess is for draining the adapter for removal. I think I need a male pipe nipple to comlete the remote filter setup if the nipple in the adapter won't fit(it looks removable).
Truck started normally and sounded "normal". Well, normal for the Ebay truck. It still "whacka-whacka-whacka", but at least it had new oil do it with. I went with the Rotella Syn 5-40. I figure the thinner initial weight will help against cold starts. Hell, with 183k+ on the clock, I guess the motor probably doesn't care.