PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 dash light?

Piney
03-03-2002, 13:23
Due to the ice this weekend, I had to put him in 4wd and I noticed that the dash light on the instrument panel didn't light up. Looked in the owners manual and it shows a 4wd light above and to the left of the tach. Anybody have theirs light up?

SGJ
03-03-2002, 13:33
Piney , Do you have the shift on the floor or the Push button shifter . Floor shifter displays the message on the dash . Push button diplays the light beside the buttons .

DSLPOWR
03-03-2002, 16:23
You have the LT right? More than likely you have push button- On my 2500HD it's push button and the only light that comes on is the one next to the switch, the dash light (next to the tach) does not come on. On my 3500- it's a stick operated four wheel drive the light comes on next to the tach.

tmg115
03-03-2002, 16:29
on my truck i have 4X4 with the buttons and when i put it in 4X4 the buttons and a light on the dash comes on.

mackin
03-03-2002, 17:48
Hmmm perhaps it is different between chevy and gmc . I have LT. chevy and only the buttons light. Or maybe mine is not working either. Only used four wheel once. Was to pull a towmotor out of gravel. Worked fine, I wouldn't want the light in the dash anyway so I wouldn't get it fixed.
MAC

DSLPOWR
03-03-2002, 18:16
I think the chevy/GMC would be the same. Hmm, funny, I remember the tech telling me that my light wasn't coming on the dash like it was supposed to when I put in into four wheel drive. (I had the truck in because the "service four wheel drive" light was coming on) He said he could get it to come on using Tech II but not the button, I was really suprised because the light has never came on ever so I had no clue that there even was a light there- I did'nt have my 3500 yet. Thats when they replaced the entire switch panel and acutuator and it still didn't come on. These trucks must all come with the light there but only for the manual transfercase. Wierd.

tmg115
03-03-2002, 18:42
DSLPOWR
do you mind me asking what do you do for the police?

DSLPOWR
03-03-2002, 18:49
I don't have anything to do with police directly. I am actually on a "team" of vounteers that respond to roadside/residential/commercial emergencies, fire dept. backup, critical/fatal accidents, accident investigations and traffic control and lastly I am a licensed EMT. Plus the lights look "cool". :rolleyes:

DieselDo'er
03-03-2002, 20:45
I have the push button 4x4 option and the only lignt that comes on is right next to the button I push.
Brian

Alli-max
03-03-2002, 21:46
Actually I think it is a function of 02 vs. 01 models. TMG115 has an 02 GMC that comes on, I have the 01 that doesnt. (mine is push button as well).

Alright, tell me how to connect the light up Mittie. I REALLY dont like NOT having the light. I do forget that it is in 4WD sometimes.

dmaxster
03-03-2002, 22:18
I have the 2002 Chevy and my light doesn't come on....I wish it would because I do forget it in 4WD.....dmaxster :cool:

dmaxster
03-03-2002, 22:30
well you drove my curiosity wild....I had to go get the book.....The manual states that the 4WD light will illuminate when you shift your manual transfer case into 4 wheel drive and the front axle engages..... :D it does not state that the IP light will come on with the automatic transfer case.....dmaxster :cool:

INDI-GO
03-03-2002, 22:51
My manual floor shifter puts up the 4WD light on the dash. I like it there.

D-MAX
03-04-2002, 01:57
My 96 Z71 with push button 4x4 put the I/P light on.........but my 01 dose not, so checked with GM
Tech and was told the I/P light works only with the Manual Transfercase.......I wish I could make it work with the push button.....I use four wheel drive alot here in Wyoming and forget its in sometimes.

ksss
03-04-2002, 15:22
Boy I feel better. I thought I was the only one who keeps forgeting its in 4X4. I drove from Boise to Idaho Falls before realizing that I was in 4X4 (no snow no ice). I would like to see a light on the dash. I don't seem to look over at the 4X4 buttons.

pullinpower
03-04-2002, 15:33
Wonder if there is a way we could "trigger" the light when we use our push button t-case's?

tmg115
03-04-2002, 16:39
if it isnt supose to come on then why does mine come on??? :eek:

tmg115
03-05-2002, 15:55
whats up with my truck then?

pullinpower
03-05-2002, 16:46
I would be happy that it does,mine doesnt and I wish it did. :D

dmaxster
03-07-2002, 19:04
well guys as you read above mine doesn't work either...well not any more...I had did some research and well lets say I had gotten mine wired so it would come on....did it last night and all I have to say I love the lite in the dash.....it was pretty complicated and if your not good with solder and some know how on electronics I wouldn't reccomend doing this....took some thought but in the end I won! thanks dmaxster :cool:

battmain
03-07-2002, 20:17
Dmaxster wrote "I had did some research and well lets say I had gotten mine wired so it would come on..."

Well geez Dmaxster, don't leave us hanging like that! smile.gif

Details please! Inquiring minds want to know.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: battmain ]</p>

dmaxster
03-07-2002, 23:11
battman and the rest of you here is what I had found....I took the IP out and took it apart....found that the 4x4 light is a LED...no big deal...then found out what wire from the 4 HI sw had the indicator come on...it was the purple white then determined whether it was pos. or neg. ....it is neg. and a good thing because the 4x4 light requires a neg. to make it come on...so I then found where the resistor was for the LED because the LED has to have a resistor in series with it or you will and I mean will burn it up....I then found where the resistor was and soldered a wire to it and ran it to the purlple white wire on the 4HI sw....now when in 4HI the 4x4 lite in the IC comes on....let me tell you NICE...TIA .....dmaxster :cool:

Piney
03-07-2002, 23:20
dmaxster,
That is good information. I'd like to try it, but after reading your instructions, I can tell you know what you're doing....and I haven't a clue :confused:

pullinpower
03-08-2002, 07:32
:D thats exactly what I was thinking piney. :D

battmain
03-11-2002, 20:10
Thanks, that is good info. I was out racing over the weekend and was too tired/lazy to dial up.

It seems you just ran a wire from the LED resistor to the light on the switch. Do you recall the color of the bands on the resistor? I assume you're using the built in ground or did you run a separate ground also?

Another project to add to the list of things to do. We got to attempt to keep up with Mdrag. :D

dmaxster
03-11-2002, 23:07
Tell you the truth there is only one wire to be ran....the wire from the purple white on the switch to the resistor....now to locate this you will have to pull the IP out and then the black cover on the back has some tabs on it and all you need to do is pull back and they'll release....you'll see when you get that far it's really easy....then the circuit board just pulls off you'll have to pry a little bit...the gauges just plug in the back and they stay with the housing...just becareful! take your time and it'll all come apart.....then when you have this all apart you will see the LED's and follow the one for the 4x4 it's next to the set that is doubled they are for the WTS lamp....it is to the left if your looking at it or to the right from the back....follow the printed board on the back to the resistor remember when you solder the wire on it to remeber to keep the resistor in the circuit....you'll burn it up....trust me I know....I was running late so quick did it and forgot the resistor and well burn she did...it only costed pennies for a new one but hey you don't want to do that....the wire on the 4x4 sw is neg..and one side of the lamp is pos.....the resistor side is the neg.....hope this helps....damaxster :cool:

pullinpower
03-12-2002, 12:49
Doesnt seem that its too hard to do,just finding the time is another thing. :rolleyes: Can I get this resister at radioshack?

dmaxster
03-12-2002, 21:50
pullinpower the resistor is already there all you have to do is run the wire....hope that helps...dmaxster :cool:

Alli-max
03-13-2002, 00:03
another way to know it is in 4WD... feel for the vibration that GM says is "normal". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dmaxster
03-13-2002, 16:56
you know that is agood point...Normal is there even a definiton of normal....???? one man's normal is definatly different than that of another man's......Right....well why won't they listen to us...after all if weren't for us what would they have to listen to...? That's my feeling on the whole normal S**t...dmaxster
Thanks for letting me vent on this...!

JF
03-14-2002, 16:46
Damaxter - help!

followed your instructions. No problem going as far as removing circuit board. But cannot identify the correct resistor. From the 4x4 led, the circuit board leads went to two resistors, one to a resistor (R30) located just below two WTS led

dmaxster
03-14-2002, 16:56
yeah if you follow the LED back and look on the back side of the board...you can follow to the resistor...it does go to several other things but you won't have to worry about that becuase there is not wire for it...if there had been we'd beable to just hook to that but there isnt' and that is the need for the extra wire....if you need help email me or call me 920.845.2474 dmaxster :cool:

JF
03-26-2002, 16:47
damaxter

pullinpower
03-26-2002, 18:31
Jf will you send me some pics? Ehaney@midsouth.rr.com

GMC-2002-Dmax
03-26-2002, 19:51
JF,

If it's not too much trouble could you e-mail me pics as well,

gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net

Thanks.

GMC :D

dmaxster
03-26-2002, 21:39
Hey guys....this is awesome.....Jeff, I know that it would have been easier with pics and all but I don't have a digital camera :rolleyes: ......you know a picture says a thousand words and an expanation only gives little detail.....sorry if some of the material is misleading but trying to explain a picture in full detail is very hard because everyone has a different picture in mind.....what one thinks of to ask in a pic. it may be answered.....sorry tried my best.....and good luck....jeff hope it all works out for you....dmaxster :cool:

BobW
03-27-2002, 00:36
JF, I would like to see your pics also. Thanks.
Bob_duramax@hotmail.com

mattb5150
06-29-2002, 15:10
JF could you e-mail the pictures to me? mattb5150@hotmail.com My wife just drove the Dmax about 35 miles the other night at highway speeds in 4 wheel drive. Told me when I got home that the truck was making noises but no lights or gauges showed anything. Started to take it for a test drive and it steered hard, looked down and it was in 4x4, told the wife. She said "I don't even know how to put it in 4 wheel". I need this big light on the dash, its too easy to hit the button as we can see from the story above. Hope my t-case isn't ruined.

Matt B.

JF
06-29-2002, 15:40
If anyone wants pictures of instrument panel apart, let me know, as I still have them. Don't know how to attach pictures to this message, but would be glad to e-mail to anyone who wants them.
It's nice to have 4x4 light up on dash.

Jeff

odoh
06-29-2002, 16:29
Jeff ~ could you email pix to me also? odoh1@hotmail.com

odoh

Maverick
06-29-2002, 21:37
I'll take some JF. Thanks.

bonesfixed
07-01-2002, 13:56
Jeff, Could you please e-mail me the pictures: bonesfixed@msn.com

odoh
07-01-2002, 18:02
Want to thank Jeff for the pix's.

Still have some questions tho ~ How to remove the IP? No screws visible.

Haven't seen the switch button lite addressed. Does one splice new lead into the existing wire and run to R30 or just cut the wire and butt splice to R30 leaving the remaining wire hang?

TIA ~ odoh

carnutsx2
07-01-2002, 22:25
could you send me the photos of the 4x4 light for the dash. Thanks CarnutsX2@aol.com

odoh
07-03-2002, 16:09
Bump

mattb5150
07-03-2002, 22:14
Jeff,

I didn't get the photos, I may have deleted e-mail on accident could you try me again, mattb5150@hotmail.com Thanks.

Matt B.

Sorry guys tried to get ahold of JF another way but could find email address.

WayCoolKennel
07-05-2002, 10:26
Mee too please :) I can also probably post them to a website..

waycoolkennel@???hotmail.com (remove ???)

--Steve

kanton1
07-07-2002, 11:24
Jeff,

I am going to join your list. Can you please send me the pictures as well?

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

kylant1@attbi.com

dmaxster
07-07-2002, 22:43
Hey Jeff,
maybe you could post them in your pics. file ??? if you can't just e-mail me and I will post on my signiture page.....thanks jeff, madenterprises@itol.com dmaxster :cool:

dmaxster
07-12-2002, 14:26
Ok guys here it is...there are pics of the IP with the help of our friends here on TDP.....use them if you like or not to..? go to www.picturetrail.com/dmaxster I don't know if I have it set up right or not on my sig. so you may have to copy and paste it....dmaxster Thanks Chuck

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: dmaxster ]</p>

dmaxster
07-12-2002, 14:35
Nope got it fixed...just click on the picture 4x4 address and it'll take you to my page and hope all enjoy....! dmaxster :cool: :cool: :D