PDA

View Full Version : Can the tailgate be adjusted?

JimWilson
09-08-2003, 12:57
My tailgate doesn't seem to sit level. When lowered the DS cable is taunt, but the PS has some free play. This wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for all the posts about how crappy GM's tailgate cables are -- I don't want to push my luck by having one cable do more work then it should.

I've looked all around the tailgate but I can't see how you make an adjustment. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

battmain
09-08-2003, 16:53
There is no adjustment that I could see. I had mine off yesterday trying to rig something until I get around to ordering some new cables.

Note, if you remove the latch, fishing line works very well to get the release rod back in place. It still took some time, but worked a lot better than the pickup tool I was using.

LA DMAX
09-08-2003, 23:29
Jim and Battmain,
When I first got my truck my tailgate was difficult to open, you had to lift hard on the handle to get it to open. When I got my Line-X sprayed in the guy doing it said he adjusted my tailgate a little. Don't know if it was just the handle or the whole thing but it has been easier to open since then.

LA DMAX

chuntag95
09-09-2003, 08:30
I loosened the two bolts on the latch and adjusted mine. Both sides had enough "play" to get me where I wanted to be. 13mm as I recall. I also cut off the plastic cover at the bottom of my cables. One side was clean and the other was starting to eat itself. Since cutting the cable cover off, I have sprayed some lube on it to keep if from rusting. It will not hold the water in now and should extend the life of the cables. Another plus is I can see the cable and know when it's starting to look bad.

Allison Jettester
09-09-2003, 09:15
I was going to suggest what Chuntag did and add that if there isn't enough play, you can make slots in the brackets that are bolted to the sides or take the bottom brackets off the tailgate and shim them.