PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio in Canada - It works!!

B-Dog
06-28-2002, 22:02
I don't know if anyone has tried this but a few weeks ago I drove up to Canada with XM radio in my truck. According to XM webpage, " XM's satellite signal reaches into portions of Canada and Mexico near the U.S. borders however, XM's service is not currently sold in Canada, Mexico or any other region outside of the continental United State".

I am pleased to say that the XM signal works loud and clear at LEAST as far north as Edmonton, Alberta and likely much further. I even tried this with two systems, the portable Sony player and also an Alpine tuner. Both worked fine.

I recall reading a post a few months ago about someone who drove 400 miles south into Mexico and it also worked down there.

It will interesting to see if the 2003 Canadian
made GM vehicles will even be available with the XM option because in order to subscribe to the service you need a US billing address. But I'm sure there's ways around that. I wonder if this will become somewhat of a grey market similar to the satellite TV systems....

Just though I'd share that with the Canadians, XM works up there !!!

Check out my webpage for pics of my XM install.

B-Dog
06-28-2002, 22:04
http://www.picturetrail.com/wyoherminator

NutNbutGMC
06-29-2002, 05:09
^......Mine works in Tennessee, as well. :D

NickLeinonen
06-29-2002, 06:37
the xm web site says that it works about 100 miles up into canada. edmonton is about 300 miles north of the border to montana. :D hmm.. being that i am in ontario, canada.. just north of toronto at less than 300 miles north of the 40

NutNbutGMC
06-29-2002, 15:50
Nick... Use a U.S. address, (real or not, who cares?) and have the quarterly charges deducted from a credit card or debit card. When I subscribed, they took my info but as far as I know, they never verified anything. They just wanted a credit / debit card number for payment collection. Try it. What are they gonna' do, discontinue the service??? LMAO... :D Nothing ventured, nothing gained... Five aces are better than four, huh Mackin???

[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Chevy Ryan
06-29-2002, 16:58
Canada has the equivalent of XM Radio, but it's called DAB Radio. On the 2003 trucks, Americans will have XM as an option and Canadians will have DAB as an option. XM probably has way better channels, though. Canadian radio and TV always has to have a certain amount of "home-grown" coverage. We probably won't have NASCAR radio as an option, which would be my primary reason for getting satellite radio. :(

NickLeinonen
06-30-2002, 06:32
iirc, the CRTC in canada requires that tv/radio need 20% canadian content. that's why a lot of the songs on radio are canadian bands. easy there.. as for tv. news counts but most of the shows i watch are us programing..

NutNbutGMC
06-30-2002, 07:12
^...I don't think XM will abide by that rule, so don't mention it when you ask for their service... :D

moisheh
06-30-2002, 14:48
XM radio will not be factory installed on any Canadian vehicles. After all if we were to listen to USA radio we might go blind or pick up a southern accent. Sheila Copps and the culture police will be sure to protect us from these deadly sins.

NutNbutGMC
06-30-2002, 15:19
^... And what is wrong with a southern accent??? ... LMAO.. :D

hoot
10-09-2002, 06:46
I just heard on the radio this morning that the big city stations are going to start broadcasting digitally in the next few months. Supposed to be a much higher quality than what we recieve over the airwaves now.

Yes, new recievers or adapters will be required.

The good part is it's free smile.gif

HDLD
10-12-2002, 19:00
DAB radio in Canada may be like XM in regards to quality but that's about where the similarities stop. DAB is not satellite based, the area of coverage is even less than FM if I recall correctly. For more info. on DAB, see www.digitalradio.ca

Personally, I'd prefer XM. I'd be surprised if you were allowed to order a vehicle with XM in it from a Canadian dealership though...

I believe a system like XM (i.e. satellite based) is slated to appear in a few years in Canada.

Radio shack should begin carrying DAB receivers in about a month (in Canada).

Seriously considering XM. Could a 3rd party product be added to the Bose system, retaining use of the steering wheel controls?

Based on the coverage for DirecTV, which TONS of Canadians use, some grey, some pirate, I would expect excellent coverage on XM.

I have to wonder if our politicians are hiding under the "culture" umbrella when the real interest is $$$. As if XM is going to make any difference on our culture. If they are really concerned, why don't they just slap a culture tax on Canadian reception? It's not like THAT's a foreign concept!

Jim Bob
10-12-2002, 20:44
It just don't seem right that folks in the 51st state can't get satellite radio!