PDA

View Full Version : Transmission spin on filters

Shire Ben
02-13-2005, 03:52
Any difference between the Allison spin on filters vs. aftermarket filters?? Is it a similar situation to postings on fuel filters...basically no matter what name is on them, they are all manufactuered by same company?? Thank You

bluenote
02-13-2005, 05:02
I'm not sure if you can buy a different brand name filter for your Allison???

However, since I can buy the OEM filters from a local Allison shop for $7.71, I'm not really worried about the cost.

Shire Ben
02-13-2005, 06:10
Thank you for the replay...agree, not worried about cost as much as quality between filters. I suggest buying filters at OEM or Allison shop. Dealers always have a considerable mark-up on parts....as we all know.

DmaxMaverick
02-13-2005, 07:36
At present time, there is only one manufacturer for the filter. Just like the Racor fuel filter, it is boxed under different brand names, but the filter originates from the same maker.

I get mine from an independent parts store under a Wix name. They cost me about $8 each, or about $7 if I order a dozen.

Shire Ben
02-13-2005, 08:44
DMaxMav...thanx. This is what I suspected. I provide filters to dealer when they do annual transmission service @ 25K..appreicate the feedback.

310-MAN
02-20-2005, 15:01
Hey guys.....Not all filters are the same. After purchasing "BALDWIN" transmission filters I noticed they have there holes for the fluid return at a different distance from the center. This may block some of the fluid flow by the round magnet. Just a thought. John

Ranger354
02-20-2005, 15:19
What is the WIX filter part Number?

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
02-20-2005, 17:37
310-MAN

The filter design was changed some time ago, by Allison, to address a seal issue. Perhaps you are comparing one of each? I have a "newer" filter installed now, but didn't make any comparisons when I switched. I think I have an older style still. I'll find it and compare it with my known new one.

Thanks.