PDA

View Full Version : '03 "Service Brakes" message

Mike in Austin
10-23-2005, 16:07
'03 w/ 41k miles. It happened to my wife a week ago and it happened to me yesterday. Upon starting the truck, the red "Brake" light stays on and the digital message reads "Service Brakes". But I turned the truck off and started it again and everything is ok. I did not drive with the light on, but wife drove a short distance before calling me and asking what to do, and she said it felt "really wierd". I told her to restart it an everything was ok. Anybody have a similar experience or advice?

David Proske
10-24-2005, 03:02
Mine has done this since new. Sometimes happens a couple times a day. Sometimes not for weeks. However the truck stops normally when I get the message. A feller told me the ABS will not work when getting this message.

markrinker
10-24-2005, 05:44
I get this message with my '03 gasser - most often when using remote start, then forgetting to put in the key and having it die when you tap the brake to put it into gear.

Go figure.

jbplock
10-24-2005, 07:24
I had a similar message on my 04 Impala .. turned out to be the ABS sensor in the real wheel bearing assembly ... dealer had replace the whole assy (under warranty)...

madmatt
10-25-2005, 15:54
Ive seen several w/ the service brake light staying on and it was easily corrected w/ a reprogram to the ebcm per bulletin #04-05-25-005a. none of the units I worked on had a brake performance conplaint though. check your fluid level and rear calipers for leaks around the fittings also.