PDA

View Full Version : bannks or j.k exhaust

kerry witherspoon
02-07-2003, 20:36
Wonderd what everyone uses and how you like it these are my two choices just looking for input for final decision

Brandenburg
02-07-2003, 23:00
I haven't seen the Banks, but I did just install the Kennedy 4" to 5" system tonight in the 12* air and I am very impressed. I spent about 45 minutes getting the stock system out and probably about an hour and a half putting the Kennedy in, which I didn't think was too bad considering how cold it is. :eek: It was pretty simple to put in and it fit well with just a little modification to the rear hanger. The clearance near the factrory spare tire is tight but it doesn't touch. A few tips, a deep well 11mm socket would have been nice to have for removing the band clamp and the stock exhaust came right out once I dropped the spare tire down. As for the sound, it is not loud at all at cruising speeds although you know its there when you get on it a little. :D I didn't see much effect on egt's during the 30 mile drive I took, but I didn't expect to see a difference when it's this cold out. The roads were too slippery for heavey accelerating so I can't say much for the seat of the pants feel although the truck sure seemed more responsive.

DMAX Daddy
02-07-2003, 23:11
I was going to get a Kennedy cause hes such a good supporter here, but I came into a Banks basically for about $200 and I love it. Im sure JK's is as good or even better, I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Buck
02-07-2003, 23:56
JK's exhaust :D ;) :D smile.gif :D He is a great supporter of this site not to mention his customer service ;)
4>5" exhaust all the way ;) :D

Holeshot
02-08-2003, 02:51
Ive owned the banks system and loved it. It has a good tone and great quality. Install was just as simple. Now for my 03 i was gonna use banks, but then i went and saw JK and man is that 4to5 inch exaust awesome im sold. I will have one as soon as i lower my truck so i can make adjustments for clearance. It has very good quality and a good tone. If I had to compare the two I would say dead even, But I love that 5inch on the JK system.

in either case im still trying to figure out how many coffee cans i need to make my own smile.gif
later
Tony

02-08-2003, 05:24
I have a JK system and it is great. Very high quality and fits like a glove. Spent more time taking the old system out than installing the new one. Put the louvers forward however. It had quite a bit of exhaust boom with them facing rearward.

YZF1R
02-08-2003, 07:35
Love the JK system and the S.S. band clamps.

Steve

TraceF
02-08-2003, 09:15
I went Banks because I could see and handle one before I bought. I am funny like that. I have had a lot of "mail order depression" because of damage, wrong parts, missing parts, etc.

My local Banks distributor gave it to me 15% off the MSRP which worked out to about $575.

It took longer to get the old one out than it did to install. The old one would come out in 15 mins if you cut it but I didn't.

The Banks pieces went together perfectly and there was no hanger modification whatever that means. I like it. Word of caution- if you put the big fancy tip where it should be, not sticking out too far, it will soot the corner of the bumper after about 500 miles.

For what it's worth, since I started reading this forum several months ago, I have read a lot more positive feedback about JK's system than the Banks.

Get one, either but get one! Like Toddster says- there's KOOL factor there man!

:D

Dawg
02-08-2003, 10:37
TraceF,

How/where would you suggest the tip be placed? Are you saying it should end up where the is OE was located? Sorry for the questions. I see an exhaust system somewhere down the road for me.

Thanks

FisHn2DMax
02-08-2003, 11:10
Questions for owners of JK's and Banks Exhaust systems...
I will be upgrading my OEM exhaust very soon and would appreciate some feedback on the two systems. What is the difference in pipe and muffler materials between the Banks or JK's to the OEM? Are they both made of an Aluminized metal or stainless? How do they compare with the OEM stock materials?
Which one is the quietest compared to OEM?

I don't want an increase in overall exhaust loudness (DB)!

Thanks,
;)

Dmaxin
02-08-2003, 11:50
I have the banks on my truck and love it. I think JKs is galvinized metal and the banks is a mid grade stainless. I have to say that with all the salt they throw down on the roads here that the banks is doing real well. I think eathier way you go you are gettng a good product.

mackin
02-08-2003, 13:26
I elected to go with the Banks due to it's deep rumble, when I heard one and rode in a truck equipped with the exhaust system...In addition it is type 409 stainless with a decent finish which is holding up quite well.....Jk exhaust is CRS with an aluminized finish.....Both will hold up for a long time, but the Banks has a better finish as I am a NO tip kinda guy so I like the shine it offers....

In the cab it is quiet, but a tad louder then stock, I can tell it is a free flow pipe....Put the window down while driving under a bridge and it roars quite nice outside.....It will turn heads....

MAC :D :D :D

TraceF
02-08-2003, 13:40
Dawg-

I put the tip about even with the side of the truck and the end of the bumper gets a little sooty. No big deal, it comes off when you wash the truck.

The oem pipe is angled down, this is probably why. The Banks is closer to the drip edge.

To stop the sooting you would have to put the tip out farther. This is easy to do, I cut off about 8 or 9 inches of the end before installing the tip.

The system is long enough it would work fine without the tip. You have to cut it to put the tip on or you have a pipe inside a pipe and it looks stupid.

GMCTRUCK
02-08-2003, 13:52
The Banks system went on quicker than the stock exhaust came off. Perfect fit. All hangers are welded on and line up perfect thus, no modifications were needed. Still looks new after 3 months of road salt. Sounds awesome, I get a lot of compliments.

SteveO
02-08-2003, 16:27
Hi Guys,

While I still have the stock exhaust so I'm not going to say one is better than the other...

I will say this>> I had a Banks exhaust on my 93 6.5 and it's still going with 200K+.. Still looks good with no rust.. JK was not around when I bought it... I have installed a Banks exhaust on a Duramax though and it went together nice, it is louder than stock, louder in more deeper at idle and cruising.. My truck beside Banks truck...

Couple of things I do not like about Banks..

They love to CALL you!!! I hate that... They have called me at least 5 times since the DMax exhaust came out..

They will not just answer your question, they always want to know who you spoke to last time..

Last but not least, I have NEVER seen a representative from Banks post on this forum..

JK will do his best to HELP in any way even if you do not buy from him...

mdrag
02-09-2003, 02:23
I have the KD 4" -> 5" and couldn't be happier. Excellent fit and quality. I intially worried that the 5" would be too loud, but that has not been the case. No complaints from the family on our 2400 mile road trip during the holidays.

TraceF,

The rear hanger modification when installing the KD exhaust is nothing more than bending the rear most hanger - a few wacks with a heavy universal alignment tool took care of that :eek:

ON EDIT: To add to SteveO's observations - I called Kennedy late on a weekend night to answer a few exhaust install questions - he answered his cell phone while driving. Few vendors would have been available at such a time.

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
02-09-2003, 12:17
The only increase in noise I really noticed with the Banks was hearing the turbo spool up and spool down. Definitely a difference.

sonofagun
02-10-2003, 17:14
I have JK's 4" system. I could have purchased the Bank's system from Camping World for less. I've used Bank's before (and Jardine) and it (they) were everything advertised. I went with JK because:
1. I trust him
2. He engineers his stuff to the nth degree
3. He will help anytime
4. I get the same guy everytime I call him
5. I don't live in a road salt use area (this is the only reason I MIGHT have gone with Bank's)

I am very satisfied with everything JK has done for me to date. Looking for his fuel filter as soon as he gets it finished.

Bob

kerry witherspoon
02-10-2003, 17:51
thanks for the input guys im going to go with j k system as sone as wife will give me the credit card back.

SteveO
02-10-2003, 19:10
kerry witherspoon,

Now getting the card from the wife is another

Should I go in with Candy & Flowers vs Just steal it when she's asleep, order the stuff, then hope she doesn't wake up while I'm on the phone smile.gif smile.gif

Alli-max
02-10-2003, 20:46
JK Exhaust here....

The way I understand, I was the FIRST LB ext. cab to get one. I got a free meggs tip for being the whipping boy.. :D It has now benn on my truck for about 80,000 miles, and no problems. I can drive down the road at 70 and carry a conversation with another or on the cell phone. But... the people at Sonic tell me to TURN OFF THAT D@MN TRUCK!!! :D :D

bearman
02-10-2003, 21:19
kerry
Give it to her for valintines :D :D :D
Cheers
Bear

DMAXTODD
03-10-2003, 01:04
I am very happy with my JK 4". The first one on a Reg.Cab Longbed I think. It has now been on the truck for almost two years and looks like new. The stainless clamps are great they are holding good even though like an ediot, I cut to much off of one of the pipes and had to bend a hanger.

Sounds like a 454 is the most frequent comment I get.

BassinRVer
03-10-2003, 14:23
I have the Banks Monster Exhaust. I love it. I was able to hear the Banks and JK's 4 inch system. The Banks is more throaty. The Banks is definity louder in the Cab but I like it. If you do not want more sound in the cab go with JK. smile.gif

Smittybilt
03-12-2003, 14:17
Hey guys;
I just installed the Banks system last week and I have to say I love it. It was a real close decision between JK's and Banks's and I listened to both sound clips over and over again and it was my impression that the JK was louder (although BassinRVer's post is opposite.

The install was a breeze. The hardest part was getting the old system out. I did have to cut the muffler once to get the rest to slide out from beneath the truck (couldn't get it up high enough). Once this was done the Banks went on without a hitch. Everything fit like a glove and all the hangers went on precisely. I have about 4 inches of clearance from the spare and the trans cooling pipes were no problem.

At idle you don't hear the system much. Just a low inconspicuous rumble. Step on it and it's got a deep rumble and is music to the ears. Inside the cab there's still this rumble but no resonance. Once at speed just a pleasant hum. Turbo spoolup is a lot faster (especially with a Juice chip). Overall I'm really satisfied. JK's system would probably have been just as good and I could have gone with either one but the Banks was stainless, although from what I've read either could last the life of the truck. Hope this helps. RM

Coldfront
03-14-2003, 13:41
I got the Jkennedy exhaust just a week ago along with other things I'll call "Phase 1". the exhaust is just great power is up milage is up The system is not loud it just sounds cool.Let you know how it weathers. jim