PDA

View Full Version : Some Dash Lights Out

Luis
11-02-2005, 14:55
01 2500 GMC D/A. Some of the dash lights are out. Just the ones below the guages that read FUEL etc. Has anyone else had this and can it be fixed or do I have to have the entire cluster replaced?

a5150nut
11-02-2005, 21:48
Don't know bout that there fancy new truck, but on my 94 you can remove the cluster and on the back of the panel there are twist out plugs that have the lights in them. But if it is several all at once I would be checkin the printed circut wireing or posibly a comon ground.

dieseldummy
11-03-2005, 07:32
Acctually I don't think that the dash lights are replacable. I beleive that the whole cluster has to be replaced, at least that's what I've heard. The good news is that there are a bunch on ebay all the time.

jcummins
11-03-2005, 13:59
On my 2002 GMC, bulds twist out from back of cluster.

Luis
11-22-2005, 16:04
Thanks everyone...I finally got a few minutes to look at it today with no avail....Do I need to disconnect the batteries before removing? AND if I do replace the entire display, will the mileage, hours etc. remain the same? (I'm assuming this information is kept in the computer)
Thanks to all and have a Happy Thanksgiving!! smile.gif

dieseldummy
11-22-2005, 20:20
I stand corrected on my earlier statement about having to be replaced. I saw some pics of one tore down the other day, the way it looked the bulbs are replacable. If you get it out and still can't figure it out, talk to your local body shop, they should be able to help.

Luis
11-25-2005, 04:18
Thanks "dieseldummy"...I will say your screen name doesn

dieseldummy
11-25-2005, 19:15
I'm not sure if it's necesary to un hook the bateries before unplugging the dash. IIRC, the dash is part of the CAN Bus system used by the computer so it might not be a bad idea to unhook them. My screen name seemed appropriate at the time I joined here, I've learned alot, but still have quite a ways to go. Let us know how this project treats you.
Justin