PDA

View Full Version : TRANS FLUID EVERYWHERE!

Mark A
02-08-2003, 19:48
In the last week i've put 2400 highway miles on my truck. Today i drove about 100 miles on the interstate at about 85-90 the whole way back home. Well when i was comming off the off-ramp i laid into into it to jump in traffic. When i did this the truck pulled harder than it ever had so when i turned down the next road i laid into it again only to hear a load almost sqealing noise and a SES light and it was stuck in 3rd gear. So i only had about a half mile till i was home so i kept on. I get out and all i smell is trans fluid and i look and its all under the truck dripping off the spare tire. All i have is the powerloader and it was in the 120hp level. I let it sit for awhile and it goes into other gears but the SES light is still on. Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks for any info,
Mark

Chris N5CWM
02-08-2003, 22:00
Only the 120 HP Level? Sounds like you found a weak link somewhere..cooler line maybe? Keep on testing these Allisons, guys N gals. By the time GM puts em in the Suburbans, maybe they will be able to stand up to the extra oomf! :D

mackin
02-08-2003, 22:14
Best guesstamit.......

Running it hard in 5'th gear with "ONLY" 120HP Powerloader,some slippage, got HOT, blew some Tranny fluid out the breather (It's gone'na blow hole) and you discovered LIMP mode.....

Happen to anyone else this way?? Not that I have heard....SES will disappear in short order, long term you ought'a think about tranny upgrades when and if they are available, or drop the power done....

How much actual fluid did you lose??

Are you haven fun ?? Then carry on !!!!!

MAC

:D :D :D

Mark A
02-09-2003, 01:10
Having fun?? Well i hit 115mph on the GPS but the tranny temp never got past 150. I dont know why it did this, but i do know the truck is gonna be up for sale this week so i can get a new one. Anyways change the fluid and clean the under-side of the truck and its gone.

See Ya!
Mark

mackin
02-09-2003, 07:27
Which Duramax did it,looks like you have three of them ????

There is a vent, that is what made me think it may of just spewed out of there,due to expansion of HOT or warm fluid....If it still isn't leaking where else,what else......Could just be it was at the upper level cold or over full to begin with.....Now it's just right !!!! :eek: Hell of a way to adjust fluid level if that's the case.....

My take is it doesen't matter cause it's going to be sold any way.....So Says you.... ;)

What are you doing with the "MATCHING" one size does not fit all , Power Loader???

MAC :D :D :D

Mark A
02-09-2003, 11:53
It was the 01' that did it and probably just sell the truck with the loader. Its nice on the 120hp level till 5th gear and it doesnt defuel like the juice but on the 80hp towing level it doesnt feel as strong as the juice on level 2 when pulling. Just my opinion.

Mark

SteveO
02-09-2003, 13:38
Mark A,

So back to the topic..

What was the source of the fluid leak?

NEVER seen one leak then stop...

Mark A
02-09-2003, 19:28
I guess it ****d it out the vent tube on top of the transmission(if thats where it is located like the TH350-400 trans) . I had to add 4 quarts of trans fluid to it and clear the codes and its fine. It did set 8 codes though but i'll post them later if you want.

Mark

SteveO
02-10-2003, 18:28
MarkA,

So you did not look to see where the fluid was coming from?

What were the codes?

Mark A
02-10-2003, 19:36
I have not climbed underneath the truck yet to actually find the source, but from looking from the side of the truck it almost looks like it MAY be the filter. I went by the pres. wash today and cleaned underneath it and after driving it home there was some fluid back on the pan and torsion bar cross member. Could it have built up enough line pressure to break the gasket on the external filter? The codes were:

(some of these were set twice??)

P0841-The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch "A" is out of range for the current operating conditions.

P0846-The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch "B" is out of range for the current operating conditions.

P1709-PNP switch out of self test range.

P0700-The PCM has recieved a signal to turn on the "MIL" from the transmission control system.

P1713-Trans torque reduction request signal malfunction

P1713-TF! sensor in range failure low value (<50 deg f)

So i guess what i thought was fine last night may not be OK after all, but its not pouring it out like it did when it happened or i wouldnt be driving it. I HAVE NOT gotten on it to see if it would happen again.

Mark

SteveO
02-11-2003, 11:45
MarkA,

The first two codes you have listed are in direct relation to the Spin-on filter..

Note: The spin-on filter is in the Control Main Pressure circuit, which is about 150psi.. If the spin-on filter was loose (I have seen it before) you will lose fluid, but you still should have a leak.. Please confirm the Spin-on is tight.. How long since it was replaced?

Any fluid on the top of the trans toward the back? Vent is on the very top at the back..

Was fluid on the front of the pan or the rear?

All the codes could have been caused by the low fluid level....

Mark A
02-11-2003, 15:57
SteveO,

The filter was tight and the fluid is on the front of the pan. The fluid is coming out from inside the bell housing so maybe the front seal blew. The filter was replaced about 13,000 miles ago along with trans-fluid and it was filled to the correct amount.

I talked to a guy today that said that allison's have a problem with blowing the front seals out if you stress them, but i've never seen or heard of this. Anyone else?

Mark

dmaxster
02-14-2003, 18:19
I have almost the same thing as Mark A .....but for grins...I will try to replace the spin on filter.....will let you know what I come up with.....dmaxster