PDA

View Full Version : TransTemp/Fuel Milage Observation

txguppy
07-01-2002, 11:25
I made a quick trip to the ranch Sat. It's about a 260 mile round trip. Usually takes about 3/4 tank, for about 14.5mpg @ 75mph. This trip I only used a little more than 1/2 tank, about 20mpg. The only difference is that this time it was raining, and cooler low 70's. The trans temp was hanging around 150, while previously it was around 180+ @ 100+ air temps.. My question is do these D/A get better fuel milage w/ a cooler trans temp? Maybe this is why I read about all you Northern guys getting so much better MPG?? :confused: I know altitude affects MPG, and I'm basically at sea level, so that will lower my MPG a little. Thanks in advance for comments, observations.

txguppy

mackin
07-01-2002, 16:40
txguppy,

My opinion would be, it's just an opinion no factual hard data..... I don't think the Allison has any thing to do with it. More towards the weather. As you said it was cooler air would be denser which in case would make your truck more efficient .... This I believe because when the temps hover around 50 degrees here in the mourning after driving the previous day in the 80's +,man what a performance boost. That and it was raining, perhaps you stayed off the go peddle more than you think......

MAC ;)

txguppy
07-02-2002, 16:40
Thanks mac. I was driving a little slower on the way up, but i drove her pretty hard on the way back, go figure. I only have 12k miles, so I would expect milage to start improving.

txguppy