PDA

View Full Version : Ride Quality For 3500 2 by 4 Owners

Vette Racer
09-05-2002, 23:24
Guys

This is what I have found to make for the best ride when EMPTY. I have put the Rancho 9000 shocks on, level 3 on the rear and front. I raised the front 4 turns on the torsion bars. I put two 70lb sand bags in the rear box next to the outside fenders, one on each side at the rear of the box. This made the truck ride about as good as it can under normal highway conditions. It will not correct the bounce with the concrete expansion joints, that's a fact that I cannot cure. If anyone has a cure for this I would like to know what it is. Other than that the truck rides great empty and is one He?l of a truck towing.

JEBar
09-06-2002, 03:45
Vette...there have been several threads recently on softening the ride on 2500/3500's....some cost a few bucks and some much more ... I tinkered (much as you outlined) with mine over several months and ended up with an excellent (almost Z71 level) ride but spent considerably more money adding air bags while removing some rear springs...Jim

Merconvert
09-10-2002, 21:11
Hi Jebar

Hey I have a 2001 CC 3500,Rides like a tank. Which Leafs did you take out?? I pull a 30' 5th Wheel. Did you add airbags for towing.
Thanks for any Help

Bob

JEBar
09-11-2002, 03:56
Bob....just went to the shop that did the work for me and picked up the springs that were removed yesterday...they'd told me to expect them to remove 2 from each side but when they got into doing the work, they decided to only remove 1...it is the long one which sits directly on top of the thick/short one which is next to the axle...doing so lowered the rear end about 1 inch...I did have Air Lift air bags/with onboard compressor added...the change in ride has been has been remarkable... have a set of Bilsteins on order which I hope will complete the package...Jim :cool:

Mike O.
09-11-2002, 07:35
JEBAR,

If I may ask, what was the cost of your modifications?

JEBar
09-11-2002, 17:28
Mike...can't give you an exact price because the company which did my work gave me package price on adding several other items to my truck at the same time .... have seen the air bags advertised in the $350-$400 range, the compressor would probably double that, add in labor and who knows ... you can contact Ryan at wedotrucks.com and he can give you a price to ship the parts, if you can do the work yourself, you could probably come out much better than I did...can say that if I was to buy another 2500 or 3500 today, this would be one of my first after market additions...Jim