PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case noise. 1 tbl. spoon left.

braebyrn
11-09-2005, 04:48
Hello,
My 03 Sierra with the Duramax and allison 4x4 auto tranny decided to make noise in the transfer case area. I checked the fluid level on the transfer case and it was almost empty. I filled it just below the opening and it was low again in about a week.

I cleaned the bottom of the tranny in the back of the transfer case with brake clean. Filled it up again and took it for a spin. It looks like it blew it out of the rear seal?

I am on the road, and just put over 50,000 miles on the truck since June 12th this year.

Thanks for your help,
Rick

braebyrn
11-09-2005, 06:08
I read some of the other posts and am I right that the case maybe defective anyway? I called a local dealership and they can get it for $295 for me along with the brass bushing and the gasket. I really can't afford to have a shop work on it, so I will tackle it.

Anything else that I may need to purchase?

Thanks

braebyrn
11-12-2005, 18:05
Ok after cleaning it really good, and reading again, I found a hole from the pump wearing into the case. I filled it with JB weld, and filled it up again. It leaked out when I found another hole.

Can someone tell me if I need to replace the rear half of the case, and if I have to, what will I need to order with it? Thanks, I am heading out for another 3400 mile trip in a couple of days.

Thank you,
Rick

braebyrn
11-13-2005, 11:04
Anybody?

braebyrn
11-13-2005, 14:41
Help, I am sinking fast.

chipper
11-13-2005, 18:43
You are not the only one to have this problem. Since you are less than 3 years on your warranty, talk to your dealer about a courtesy warranty or partial help. There have been a lot of trucks having this problem.

braebyrn
11-15-2005, 04:49
Thanks Chipper. I will bring it in. I figured that since its out of warranty, that I am toast. After I put the JB weld on the holes, filled it up, not it makes the shuttering noise all of the time, where as before, if I just filled it up, the noise went away.

braebyrn
11-16-2005, 18:23
I didn't much help here, so I went to the dealer and bought a new transfer case for $1575. I got a new not rebuilt one, but I had to turn mine in for a $300 core.

I hope that will take care of this mess. Now I am broke. :(