PDA

View Full Version : Fram oil filters at Walmart

xamarud
09-06-2002, 13:55
purchased Fram oil filters today, 9-6-02 #9100 for DMAX , price $2.84. that was the marked price and the purchased price. This was at wally world in Gladstone MO. they are listed in the Fram catolog in the store. there was TWO left. FYI

sonofagun
09-06-2002, 14:17
xa,

I would be really careful here. The filters for our trucks require a pressure relief valve. It is unlikely they could be built and sold for the price you paid. Just check to be sure it is for our diesel engine.

Good luck,
Bob

mackey_62
09-06-2002, 14:37
I'd return them today!!!
Check around for the right filters. I know Fram says it's for dmax...but a couple bucks each?
As the saying goes, If it seems too good to be true....
Anyway poke around on the internet for deals.

Try ACDirect, think I got mine for $8.60ish.
I know they're are others, probably OK, but I'm reluctant to give the general any reason to challenge warranty issues.
I've read enough about the Fram's here to convince me-------JUNK!!!!!!!!

BTW, edited cause I was thinking fuel filter for some reason in previous post. :confused:

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
09-06-2002, 15:40
Please take them back to the store. Or throw them away and I will pay you for them. The cleanliness of your oil is very critical and is well worth $5-$7 for a good filter.

I have read 2 very well written articles in which they cut open Fram and about 40 other filters. The Fram internals were built of cardboard and inferior quality paper. They could blow out and add debris to th oil as well as not filter it. I've seen oil press. as high as 143psi just off idle in the morning. If something happens, it will not be covered under warranty if filter debris is found in the engine. Do a search for Fram, the posts citing the above mentioned articles will come up.

I have used Fram on my gassers in the past, but after the articles I read, no more. The quality filters only cost about $2 or $3 more in most cases.

The best Mfr was Champion Labs, who makes a lot of the filters out there, with different names.
IIRC, the good ones were Wix, STP, A/C, Hastings (Amsoil) and a bunch of others.

Regards, Steve

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

Paintdude
09-06-2002, 15:48
Also,just try and dent the outside of a FRAM filter by squeezing it,be careful...They are some paper thin cases..the delco and Isuzu filter is much thicker casing..My guess is you would never get the Fram back off in one piece..

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2002, 16:10
Just say NO to Fram!

motovet
09-06-2002, 18:51
I am getting the Wix filter from Napa for $9 something. I too have read those articles and Wix was one of the best. Been using them for a long time now and like them.

LanduytG
09-07-2002, 05:07
Amsoil SDF-52 made just for the Duramax is only $8.70 each.
Greg

ram/tx
09-07-2002, 07:09
Why buy over a $40,000.00 Truck and put a $2.84 junk oil filter on it. The motor is the heart of you truck so only put the best parts on it if you want to drive it for many years. The General says AC 2232 and even at $15.00, I get mine at an AC Delco outlet for $11.01, it is a steal to keep these wonderful Diesel motors running in top form. It only cost a few pennys more to go First Class. Sure there are other good oil filters out there, but we know the AC is tried and proven. Just my .02 worth. :rolleyes:

srubrn
09-07-2002, 08:00
I use a Baldwin filter. Any bad poop on Baldwin?

SledZep
09-07-2002, 12:22
srubrn, I believe Hastings makes Baldwin, or the other way around. I remeber getting my filter education on this board on a previous thread that stated this. So far I have used Hastings and Wix.

dcpdave
09-07-2002, 15:03
xamarud,
PLEASE listen to other posts on this thread, especially the first sentence of ram/tx's reply. also read my posts in the "duramax 6600" section, "5w30 oil" subject.

hope this helps,

Lone Eagle
09-07-2002, 23:17
Fram #9100 is interesting. STP used that # also and they are suppose to be made by Champion Labs. There is nothing light duty about the STPs. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

mdrag
09-08-2002, 13:20
srubrn,

I use the Bladwins, just make sure they are the new unfluted design. Baldwin (and other filter manufacturers IIRC) redesigned the filter housing because of the Dmax's high oil pressure. The new design is unfluted - it is round and smooth all the way to the bottom of the filter, versus the old fluted design that has flat, hex sides on the bottom for a filter wrench.

The new design is much thicker/heavier. Both the old and new Baldwin filter have the same part #B1441. I bought a case of the Baldwin fluted oil filters from Kennedy before they were redesigned, and returned them directly to Baldwin for replacement when this concern developed. I used two of the unfluted Baldwin's and did not have a problem (they were both cut open for inspection).

There are pics of cut open oil filters - old style Baldwin, OEM Champion, A/C Delco, and an OEM fuel filter - at the first link in my sig. I have not cut open a new style Baldwin yet...but will do so at the next oil change.

BTW, I remember hearing that Baldwin makes the Hasting's filters.

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>