PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Flush by AAMCO

Luis
02-28-2004, 05:56
A friend of mine who owns a transmission shop. He and I were talking the other night. His opinion of replacing the tranny fluid with AMSOIL synthetic tranny fluid was a waste. I told him he was afraid of reduced business if everyone switched to synethetic fluids. However he said he is waiting on a special coupler to his flushing machine so he can flush the Allison transmission. CAN THE ALLISON BE FLUSHED WITH THIS MACHINE??? He said it could, however due to the increased size of the tranny lines a larger coupling was needed. :confused:

hd90rider
02-28-2004, 16:05
He told ya the truth. The machine does need a larger fitting to flush out the tranny & convertor. Still, I would flush it & put in the Amsoil.

DmaxMaverick
02-28-2004, 22:16
I advise caution here, depending on the type of machine he has.

Allison (the manufacturer), states that the use of a "pressure" type flushing machine will cause damage to the tranny. This machine has a pump that "pushes" the fluid through the tranny.

If he has a "passive" machine, you should be fine. That machine uses the pump in the tranny to tranfer fluid.

It is easy enough just to do the fill/drain method, like I and many others have done. Just disconnect the "return" line (from the cooler) and place it into a container. Keep the pan full while the engine is idling until all the fluid has been replaced. I've done this twice so far, and with Amsoil synthetic ATF. There are more details and step-by-step instructions if you need. Just search the forum for it.

Don't forget the magnet on the spin-on filter when you change it. (can't say that one enough)

Luis
02-29-2004, 05:01
THANKS all....I thought there was something to do with the pump. I'm putting in the AMSOIL TORQUE DRIVE fluid and I will do it myself. Besides I want to wipe out the pan after draining. Thank once again.....LA smile.gif

dmaxalliTech
02-29-2004, 14:26
http://gmdieseltech.com/allison_fittings.jpg
These are the fittings I use with a passive system. Works good and does a complete job