PDA

View Full Version : FRONT TIRE WEAR ON 03

CAPTAIN CALIBRATOR
11-12-2005, 06:17
I'VE GOT A 03 DUALLY WITH 85000 MILE ON IT I BOUGHT A NEW SET OF TIRES AT 66000 , THEY ARE WEARING ON THE OUT SIDE BAD I RUN 70 PSI ON THE FRONT ,I DO MOSTLY HIGHWAY MILES TOWWING A 9000 WEIGHT GOOSE NECK . NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH FIRST SET OF TIRES . TIRE MAN SAID FRONT END WAS JUNK ON CHEVYS . I ROTATE ABOUT EVERY 15,000. I WON'T SAY THE BRAND OF TIRES JUST TO LEAVE OUT THAT SUBJECT.

Heartbeat Hauler
11-12-2005, 13:41
OK, I'm gonna ask the obvious question...have you had the front end aligned or checked recently? I wore out my front 2 tires at 21K, turns out my front end was way out of alignment. I never hit anything, ran over anything, nuthin', it was just out of alignment. I now have the alignment checked yearly and rotate every 10K or so. Another question would be, are you running the stock shocks? If you are towing those shocks were toast at 15 or 20K. That can contribute to alignment issues and tire wear. IMO of course.
JP

Jim Brzozowski
11-14-2005, 09:12
I would wonder about the tire man who said chevy was junk on front ends. Maybe he made a small adjustment when installing the tires so he can sell you more tires quicker. If you didn't have the problem with the first set---hum---Perhaps a front end alignment from a very reputable shop might answer the question.

CAPTAIN CALIBRATOR
11-15-2005, 13:26
THE TRUCK DOES'NT SEEM TO NEED A ALIGNMENT. I KNOW THE TIRE DEALER REALLY WELL SO THAT NOT IT . THE ORIGANAL TIRE I PUT ON MY TRAILOR , SO THEY HAVE 87,000 ON THEM . I WONDER IF FACTORY SHOCK ARE JUNK ?. GONA TAKE IT TO DEALER FOR FREE FILTER AND SOME OTHER MINOR WARRANTY STUFF. HATE MY MIRRORS ALSO .

cowboywildbill
11-16-2005, 14:56
I would start with having the allignment checked. There is no way to tell if the allignment is out without putting the truck on the front end machine. Something as simple as improper tow in or tow out can wear one or both of your tires on the inside or outside very quickly. And you might not have any pull or handling problems. You may have some worn suspension or steering parts like tie rod ends or ball joints that could be causing the wear. If any of the parts are worn and have play you should have them replaced and then have the truck alligned. Hope that helps.

PONCH
11-24-2005, 05:06
Captain
Although I have a 2500HD I put on Mich 265/75 MS E tires when it was brand new. The tire shop (which is very respected here) ask what I was going to tow. I told him a heavy 5th wheel and he told me to rotate every oil change. I run synthetic oil so I change every 5000 miles,I know that's early, but I am showing very little wear. I just had them rotated and he was surprised that I had so little wear. My towing miles probably isn't near the amount that yours are but it might be worth a try if nothing else works. I have 50000 miles on the truck now.
PONCH

Brad Pelot
12-22-2005, 14:21
My 03 drove almost perfectly, so I didn't think it was out of line. I noticed the tires wearing baddly. It was way toed out.