PDA

View Full Version : Whats the latest on the steering rattle?

SHOPMAN426
09-07-2002, 12:32
Haven't read much on the steering rattle problems. Whats the latest? It's been one year now since I got the truck and the rattle has been there since that day. It is a major committment for me to drop the truck off at the dealer I bought it from, so I don't have the time to get the run-around.

Thanks, SHOPMAN426.

Mike. :confused: :confused: :confused:

motovet
09-07-2002, 12:41
I had the bearing fix quite a while back and all is well so far...I think? I have been hearing a noise lately at times that sound similar to the rattle I had but can't "feel" it like I did. Things still feel solid at the wheel. Maybe not related? I am not sure yet.

MudNurI
09-08-2002, 06:18
Shopman,

I too have had the rattle since day 1 (10-30-02) and went through numerous crap to get it fixed, grease this, tighten this, lube this, replace this, it's not a rattle, it is a rattle etc....howver, I had the bearing kit installed a few weeks ago, and it REALLY DOES WORK! Since then we have put about 3K miles on it, and NO RATTLE, the truck feels tighter than it ever has! I can't believe its the same truck. Since it's hard for you to get into the shop, I'd have them order the part FIRST it took mine 8 days to get it, then call you when it comes in. If it's been in the shop previously for the rattle, they won't have to "diagnose" the problem, hence you can keep your truck running until it arrives. If you lived closer to me, I'd recommend my dealership.

Good luck
Brandy

DucksnDiesel
09-08-2002, 09:51
I also was finally able to convience the dealer to install the bearing about six weeks ago. So far in about 3,000 miles, the rattle is 98% gone. There is still an occassional noise (usually on rough roads) but the front end feels much tighter. I have the bilstein shocks on order and hope the last 2% of the problem is the the great factory shocks.

Get the bearing replaced. It will make the problem better. My dealer would not order the bearing until they had the vehicle in the second time, even though I requested the bearing the first time and gave them all of the documentation from this site on how the lube did not fix it. Good Luck.

SHOPMAN426
09-08-2002, 10:34
Thanks folks,

I will call ahead and try to get them to for go the lube job and order the bearing kit. I have a few other minor issues to have them look at.

Thanks again, SHOPMAN426.

Mike. smile.gif

bam540
09-08-2002, 19:01
dropped my 2002 GMC 2500HD off at the dealer the other day. Over all the truck has been trouble free for the six months that ive had it. I have experenced the steering "rattle" intermittently for a couple of months. Only happens once in a while and doesn't last for very long. Told the service manager about the problem, the tech that worked on the truck verified the problem. I picked the truck up after it being kept overnight, and have to bring it back this week to have a new intermediate shaft installed, "as per tsb #127." I will post an update after its done.

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-08-2002, 19:12

GET THE BEARING KIT AND BYE, BYE RATTLE!!!!! :D

GMC ;)

01_Duramax_Dually
09-09-2002, 14:14
OK,
I have finally started to notice this rattle. Showed up recently. Like SHOPMAN I do not want to go through the retoric. I want to go down, tell them my problem, give them the bearing P/N. Have them order it. Drop my truck off when it is in and be done with it.

Is there a TSB # for the bearing kit or a P/N to reference?

Thanks

Carry On.... :D

mattb5150
09-09-2002, 23:16
That's probably the exact opposite of what you'll get Jeff, if you do get what you want let me know and I'll use that dealer. Is yours a GMC or Chevy? I finally had my bearing replaced a couple of weeks ago after the third trip to the dealer. Leaky hydro boost still isn't fixed now they want me to bring it in so they can tear it apart and make sure what it is before they order the part, these guys really suck! I'm writting a long letter to GMC!

Matt B.

motovet
09-09-2002, 23:24
The bearing kit # is 26099860 that must be installed with special tool # J-45798. I had to wait two days for my dealer to get the tool after already having the bearing.

01_Duramax_Dually
09-10-2002, 09:23
MattB5150,
I have the Bowtie version of the truck. So far Carl Chevrolet or Billings have been superb about repairs. With the information I get here in the forum, I go down in advance, speak with the service manager, he looks into the info I gave him to insure validity then calls me back and says "Bring it on in". I will let you know how this one works out. With the info Motovet posted I am going there today on my lunch break. The Chevrolet dealer is 10 minutes from me.

Thanks again all for your help.

JP

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: 01_Duramax_Dually ]</p>

MudNurI
09-12-2002, 21:51
Matt-

DONT let them tear anything apart!

I had my hydroboost replaced back at 22,000 miles, first dealership said it was nothing, they were going to use a CAULKING to fix the leak- brought it to our 2nd dealership- BINGO, part on order, will be here in 2 days. blah blah- they replaced it- part cost just over $400 bucks- (they screwed up my slip, and I got to see!)...I will try to find the slip, and put the p/n up here.

Brandy