PDA

View Full Version : Drive train vibration

rcktman
11-14-2005, 15:09
Does any of your trucks vibrate at approx 60 mph only with a load in the bed? GM is giving me some hassles and says nothing can be done. How can you be driving on a road that is basically 60 mph everywhere and have this vibration ripping through your feet? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks, Joe

MIKE MOG
11-14-2005, 16:07
Hi Joe,
I have a vib also at 60 mph. Been driving me crazy. I feel it when loaded or pulling the camper. We went to the mountains on sunday and I could also feel it empty but very light. I have replaced all u-joints and rebal the drive shaft. still cant find it. The noise/vib is kinda like a growl and it feels like a bad rear trans mount. the noise changes with the ass end of the truck jouncing or hitting dips in the road. It almost sounds like a bearing noise. Does this sound like your noise/vib? What year is your truck? Mine is a 03, 2500 crew cab with a 8 foot bed.
Mike

dmaxmule
11-15-2005, 14:13
I also have the vibration when towing or hauling. Mechanic stated on evaluation that the vibration was normal in these trucks but he has not felt it with a load or trailer.

cowboywildbill
11-16-2005, 13:57
I know it doesn't seem likely, but sometimes tire balance or out of round tires can cause a vibration only at certain speeds and when loaded it can make it appear to be worse. This happened to me, it took me a while to figure it out because the dealer rebalanced my tires wrong and it got worse. The other possibility is the drive line angle (pinion to drive shaft) changing when the truck is loaded and sitting lower. And sometimes on the drive shaft at the slip joint "this is where the shaft slides in and out to change length and allow the shaft to be shorter when the truck is loaded" If this is not greased and is not sliding freely it could be causing it to vibrate. There were some post a while back about drive line vibrations and that GM was replacing the two piece drive shafts with one piece shafts to solve the problem. Just some thoughts. Let us know what you find out is the problem and the fix. I know it can drive you crazy trying to find the cause. And it is usually something simple. But takes a lot of trial and error to find. Good luck

MIKE MOG
11-16-2005, 14:28
Hi Cowboy,
I have been there with this truck. We replaced all of the u-joints, greases the slip joint, replaced the support bearing and I even went as far as putting a 1/8 in shim in the between the frame and the support bearing to change driveshaft angle and still have had no luck. I can see tires causing this but I can get it do do it when under load but when I decel the noise/vib goes away. Just a really weird feeling. Someday I will get crazy and put the chassie ear on it and see if I can trace it down, But that probably wont be until next summer. I know theres a GM document on beam shake but I dont think thats the problem. I did check with our parts dept to see about a 1 pc driveshaft and they tell me its not avab for 03.Let me know if you think of anything else we can check.
Thanks,
Mike

cowboywildbill
11-16-2005, 15:24
Sounds like you know what you are doing and have tried all of the right things so far. Did you try checking the tail shaft bearing if it is a two wheel drive or the transfer case at the yoke, although if you changed the u-joints you would have notice the yoke being loose. And also the allignment of the transfer case where it bolts to the support. I found a loose transfer case once that caused an acel and decel vibration. I just tightened it back up. If you have a friend that has the same model of truck with same kind of stock wheels and tires, I would swap them for a test drive and see if that is it. I know there was someone else a while back that was having simular symptoms, and after all of the things he tried, it turned out to be his after market wheels. And the wheels were the ones listed for his truck except that they didn't rest on the hub like they should, but were the kind with a beveled lug nut to line them up and that was the wrong type of wheel for his truck. Go figure. I know this kinda thing drives me crazy. I am kind of a perfectionist "except for my spelling" and I don't like to quit until I find the source of a problem. I have been trying to figure out what goes "clunk clunk" on the drivers side of our truck when I turn left or right at slow to medium speeds. I think I found it today when I was under it doing maintance. I have the 56 gal transfer flow tank and I think it shifts back and forth in the hanger straps when I turn. I tightened it up. I'll find out tomorrow if that was it. Good luck with your vibration. The only good vibrations was the Beach Boys Song. "Ha Ha" Let me know what you find.

Bob E.
11-17-2005, 08:06
I've had a vibration problem since day 1 while towing or rapid acceleration. The 4-wheel shifter makes so much noise at times I can't hear the radio. I've had it greased, the intermediate steering shaft replaced twice and the entire tranfer case replaced. The dealer says somethings wrong but.....

I did get GM to extend my warranty to Aug. '09 or 100,000 for the following items:
Front and rear differential housings and all internal components, transfer case and all internal components, front and rear drive shafts, "U" joints, axle shafts and bearings, electronic control shift units, manual shift controls/lineages, solenoids, and switches.

I am not a "heavy" by any means so I'm not sure whether this covers everything that could be causing it or not.

Bob

cowboywildbill
11-17-2005, 09:53
I hope you get solved. I would make GM put it on the beam machine or whatever they call it and measure the vibrations. And then try to find the source. Is it possible that it could be an engine problem, like a slight miss or timing issue or balance problem that only shows up at wide open throttle or while towing? I know it would drive me crazy.

MIKE MOG
11-20-2005, 16:45
Not really a engine miss type of vib. Sounds and feels like a bad wheel bearing of broken trans mount. The noise changes with dips in the road. I dont think its a tire due to it being speed and load related. I have taken it up to 60 and through it in neutral to see if the noise goes away. It does not change.
Mike

cowboywildbill
11-20-2005, 17:20
Could it be a problem with the chain or bearings in the transfer case? The only other thing I can think of is drive shaft. If you could swap one out with someone and see. Can you put the truck on a lift and then jack the rear axel up and down with a floor jack while at speed, making sure the truck is chained down to the lift. Or maybe a run on a dyno and look under the truck while that is happening. These things are risky but maybe will give a clue.

madmatt
11-21-2005, 07:39
I'm thinking rear diff pinion problem

cowboywildbill
11-21-2005, 08:10
That could be it. I would pull the axels take the drive shaft out and duct tape the rear hubs so they don't leak too bad. And then put it in 4 wheel drive high range and drive it for a very short distance and see if that changes anything. I know that may seem like a strange thing to do but it would isolate the rear, except for the wheel bearings.

MIKE MOG
11-21-2005, 14:36
Hi Matt,
Was wondering where you were. I serviced the diff and had no metal or shavings. I was going to put the chassie ear on it in the spring if time allows me. Plus when I put it into nuetral at 60mph wouldnt the noise/vib change or go away due to unloading the drive train? I can also feel it in the steering column.
Mike

madmatt
11-23-2005, 10:53
Yeah, good point! Pull the front axles, the rear axles and have someone pull you :D

MIKE MOG
11-23-2005, 18:11
Thanks!