PDA

View Full Version : Going in for service...

hoot
09-09-2002, 10:50
I mentioned a few times during ownership of this truck that I was taking it in for service but never got around to it.

Well, while under the truck doing a grease job I noticed a white powder on the lower control arms. My first guess was a battery leak. Yep, that's what it is. I have now seen three AC Delco batteries (not all the same vehicle) go bad by leaking at the side terminal in the last two years or so. You'd think they would have redesigned them by now.

Anyway, I needed that to get me going cause I'm at 35,200 miles.

1) Passenger side battery leak
2) Air bag light stays on intermittenly
3) Driver side window express down not working (could be related to the door being removed to replace the skin a couple of weeks ago
4) Slight lopey idle ECM reflash
5) TCM refash for gear 5th gear lockout
6) Launch shudder (driveshaft)
7) Serpentine belt idler bearing is shot.

As you can see it's mostly minor stuff along with the already known driveshaft upgrade and computer reflashes. Truck is running fanatastic.

The appointment is made and it's getting dropped off tonight. I'm very curious at the reaction I get to the list. I wrote the list pretty much like above without trying too hard to tell them how to do their job. It's a shop that's experienced with Dmax's so hopefully there won't be any problems.

Joe Duffiney
09-09-2002, 14:13
Why the 1 pc. shaft now ? If no problems with the 2 pc. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

hoot
09-09-2002, 19:27
I don't do a lot of towing but when I do I get the launch shudder.

I dropped it off tonight. All the guys were hawking over the gauges.

They didn't seen to have a problem with anything on the list.

Pizza Man
09-09-2002, 19:54
Good luck with the service. I hate taking mine in for service..... I do have 52k on the duramax now. The 454 has over 160k and the 350 has over 212k.

hoot
09-09-2002, 20:09
As long as all is good, I'm cool, but if things go funny, I get funny too. It can be a nervousd experience at times. I've been fortunate in that the last three trucks I've had, service has been first class. Three different dealers.

hoot
09-10-2002, 07:39
Well I got a call at 9:30 am.

Battery is done

Both reflashes are done.

Parts ordered for driveshaft, window and belt tensioner.

They found no codes for the airbag light so they can't do anything. I'll deal with that next time it comes on.

I pick up the truck today and take it back when all of the parts are in.

So far.... excellent. And no questions about mods. I like this place.

pullinpower
09-10-2002, 08:49
Hoot,guess you left your propane system on the truck when you took it in :eek: Man dont know if I would have done that... LOL

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

hoot
09-10-2002, 09:55
Yes I left it on. I've been feeling a little feisty lately so I said, heck with it.

They didn't even blink an eye.

SoCalDMAX
09-10-2002, 10:05
If you get back to the dealership and there are HUGE parallel black stripes running down the street... measure your remaining tire tread. I bet all of the mechanics have been eyeballin' your truck ever since spotting the gauges. LOL :D

Regards, Steve

hoot
09-10-2002, 10:39
You know, now that you mentioned it, I should have looked at the mileage. But then they could have said they test drove it after the reflash.

You just have to trust them I guess.

I also should have shut off the lp valve.

SoCalDMAX
09-10-2002, 12:05
BWHahahaha!! :D

How many gallons of lp DID you have? LOL

Regards, Steve

Jake99Z71
09-10-2002, 18:22
Well Hoot looks like I'll be joining you on the Passenger side Battery replacement. Was outside today doing some maintance and saw the foam wrapper was a little wet. The eye doesn't look all that bright. Was wondering why it was starting a little slow last week in 50 degree weather.

hoot
09-10-2002, 20:16
AC Delco batteries are junk, plain and simple.

I picked up the truck.

Let me tell you, the reflashes made a big time change for me. It is undoubtedly stronger, faster and smoother. I mean it, no exaggeration whatsoever. What a pleasant suprise. I should have had the computer updates done long ago. Shifts feel more precise, engine starts quicker and idles smoother. I haven't noticed any lope at all but tommorrow morning will tell. It was mild as it was but it will be nice if it's gone.

When the rest of the parts come in it goes back.

On the way home tonight there was a new Dodge Cummins in a dealers lot. I stopped in to hear it and look close.

It is definately quieter than a Duramax on the outside but has a louder low drone on the inside. The biggest thing that I do not like about it is that you don't know it's a HD Cummins equipped truck. Our GM's stand out more than these things. The big nose hangs so low that you can't see the front axle. The truck does not sit up high like previous models. Bad move on Dodges part... my opinion. Ford still rules in the big dept. Even more now. I couldn't test drive it cause it was closing time. Why did I stop in to look? I love diesels :D I like seeing and hearing the latest stuff. It's a nice truck but I think Dodge took a small step backwards on the body. I like the old body better.

Now that I've chastised Dodge, there were a bunch of 2003 GMC HD Duramax's at the dealer where I took my truck. There was a 2002 next to one. No doubt the new GMC front end is better looking than mine. It's more truck looking. I really liked it.

The 2003 Chevies.... they are growing on me. Not as bad when the truck is set up right.

Pizza Man
09-11-2002, 15:58
So...since you got your truck flashed...I went and got my truck flashed. Cost $21.50. There were actually 5 updates. I haven't noticed any changes in the 3 mile drive from the dealer, but I will be pulling a trailer up to Saratoga Ny tonight and I will see if there is any improvements.

hoot
09-11-2002, 17:38
Pizza Man,

I'm surprised there was no change. Didi you have any lopey idle at all when it's cold? Mine must have needed it cause it was a big change. Even today I'm still impressed with how much better it runs.

Oh, the air bag light stayed on again today so I drove right to the dealer with it on. The plugged in the tech II. ECU malfunction B1000. I'll probably be getting a new body control module.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Pizza Man
09-11-2002, 18:03
Hoot,

Since I am new to diesel. I have been just 'living' with the little quirks. The idle at cold startup I guess I thought was normal. The only other quirk was shift busyness(thats what I called it) but that was back at 4500 miles and I was flashed then and the flash fixed it.

My only other experiences with diesels was truck driving back in the 90's and any number of associates that drive dodge or ford diesels.

When I get back from trailering to Saratoga I'll let you know if there are any changes.

hoot
09-24-2002, 18:19
Well the parts came in last Friday and she went in yesterday.

They called about 9:00AM in the morning saying everything was installed (driveshaft, serpentine idler, and drivers power window switch). But they said they did find the problem with the airbag light so they ordered the part. Had to leave the truck one more day. Got it back today... 100%!

I noticed when they put the new battery in (read prior post) they washed the battery tray and repainted it before putting the new battery in. I was impressed.

Truck has 36,500 miles and all up to date.

It actually runs significantly better than it did when it was new, not counting the addons. She runs smoother and starts a bit quicker. Definately more getup.

I did notice the new driveshaft, being as big as it is I would think it would have a lot of mass. I tapped on it and it sounded pretty thin. I'll bet it's no thicker than .08 wall if not less. That's probably how they help reduce drivetrain losses. Less mass to get spinning.

Pizza Man
09-24-2002, 18:40
Well...no change with the computer flash.

Oil change, tranny filter change, and fuel filter this thursday.

Any thing else I SHOULD DO?
i GOT 54K.

So glad your truck is running better than when you got it.

hoot
09-24-2002, 18:48
Good idea to change the trans fluid if you aren't running TranSynd synthetic.

Also the front and rear differentials and the transfer case. Keeping them clean helps them last longer.

I used Red Line synthetic in the differentials. It's about $10 a quart.

Cut and paste
http://www.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc/mag-hytec/images/DSCN1161.jpg

Also, keep your door hinges oiled. The doors will begin to sag over time if you don't.

Pizza Man
09-26-2002, 18:58
well I got a weird one for ya!!!
So...I took my truck in for oil change and told em to also fix the steering column issue. Anyway I pick the truck up hours later and I go to drive off and theres a scrapping sound "IN" the steering wheel. So I go back and the mechanic is dumbfounded...(me too) so he takes the steering wheel off and as hes doing that he says "someone has had this off before" and of course I say "NOT"! So when he gets the steering wheel off (with me watching over his shoulder) he finds that not only is the steering wheel lock missing but an air bag sensor wire is scrapping the inside of the steering wheel causing the scrapping noise noted earlier.
hmmmmmmm....
Oh yea and when he went into the steering column he said the 3 screws holding it together were missing....

hoot
09-26-2002, 19:11
Change dealers quick!

Pizza Man
09-26-2002, 19:49
yup still need steering wheel lock REinstalled. and the air bag coil fixed...oh yea did I mention that they had to disconnect the air bag so I could drive home...and of course the air bag light is now on....

Thanks hoot for quick response.

hoot
09-26-2002, 20:07
Are you sure they even were able to do the computer updates? Could be why you realized no changes.

Pizza Man
09-26-2002, 21:00
So now someone tells me there is no steering wheel lock on 01-02 2500/3500 that explains that and I guess the missing screws and airbag coil thing is just a coincidence.
Good thing the air bag didn't go off.

hoot
09-29-2002, 04:22
Thats correct. There is no steering wheel lock. It didn't occur to me while I was reading your last couple posts.