PDA

View Full Version : OD lockout question for 77TransAm

CntrlCalDmax
09-10-2002, 17:30
Some time ago you wrote about adding a light to come on with OD disable, you can make a circuit from J1-02 (TCM supplied ignition power) or any other switched power source to J1-20 (TCM supplied ground, grounded only when OD disable is active).

Question is; can I use power from J1-02 for the high idle switch? I don't want to mix up PCM/TCM circuits if it will creat a problem. I'm thinking of using one, double pole, ON-CENTER OFF-MOMENTARY, switch for both mods. On for high idle and the momentary side for OD lockout

Thanks, Leo

hoot
09-10-2002, 20:34
I'm no expert but I see no reason why you can't use the same 12V source for both functions. They draw minimum power so fusing is of no concern. 12V from accessory is 12V no matter if you split one wire or run two seperate ones. They both come from the main source. All you are doing is supplying 12V to certain pins on the ECM. doesn't matter where the 12V source comes from. It should be a clean fused source though.

77TransAm
09-11-2002, 07:41
I've never wired one that way, but I see no reason to disagree with hoot. J1-02 is just a 12v ignition source from the TCM - it shouldn't care what is using the 12v, so there should be no effect on that or any other system.

CntrlCalDmax
09-11-2002, 08:11
Hoot and Trans,

Thanks for the replies. Since the 12vdc source is from a control unit I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be affected. I

hoot
09-11-2002, 08:27
Just be sure the source is on at all times when you need it.

TLA
09-12-2002, 17:37
I tried to use J1-02 for my light for OD lockout, but it was already occupied, as was another 12-v (pink wire - maybe JI-04). I used another source. At least that connector is easy to get to.

CntrlCalDmax
09-12-2002, 20:30
TLA, How do you like the Kelderman Air Ride rear suspension? Does it really help the empty ride? Have you driven on a concrete freeway with lousy expansion joints? Easy to install? Don't mean to be nosey, but I would sure like to improve the empty ride.

Thanks, Leo

TLA
09-13-2002, 07:24
You aren't nosy. I like the Kelderman, as it has really inproved both the empty and loaded ride. I think it is better on the concrete, but I have never found anything that really helps there. I installed it in an afternoon, and it was really easy. I have automatic level control, and that works well with a 2-horse trailer or the hay trailer empty.
The drawback (and I was warned before I bought it), is that above a certain pin weight, it cannot maintain level, so I had to add Air Ride bags to help out. I had tried to hook all the bags up to the level control, but didn't have time to play with it, and will try again in the winter. Now, I use a compressor to set the ride height. I also lowered the back about 1.5 inches. Kelderman was really straight with me, and really helpful when I had questions.
The horses ride better, I am much less tired during a trip, and the 6-horse is no longer popping rivits. I would do it again.