PDA

View Full Version : Allison is trashed... see text

1919a4
09-11-2002, 12:48
Just got word from the dealer that the Allison is toast. I'd posted earlier about a "horrible driveline vibration," and I came to the conclusion that the planetary gears/clutch(es) must be shot in at least one gearset. It didn't seem to be the torque converter, 'cos gears one and 4-5 held power OK.

When I pulled in and told the service writer what I thought the problem was, he said, "Nah- no-one's broken the Allison yet." I replied, "I think I'm the first one..." He remarked that an ECM re-flash would likely cure the problem and I'd be on my way in an hour. We spent a few minutes going over the truck. He liked the Isspro gauges in the pillar mount (thanks, Kennedy!) and remarked that he used to work for Banks upgrading the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. I decided to leave and not wait for him to reflash the ECM, since I was pretty sure the tranny was toast.

He called back about an hour later; the mechanic had done a stall test and the tranny "completely let go" in his words.

He thought he had a complete new Allison unit in stock, but he's gonna have to order the exact unit I need and it'll take a week. They've bent over backwards to be accomodating; I've been offered a nice Suburban as a replacement vehicle while mine's being fixed, but the Taurus SHO is getting a workout so I don't think I'll take him up on the offer.

I'll try to get more details about what exactly broke.

2002 D/A LT CC/SB, CA-emissions
TransferFlow replacement tank
Isspro boost/EGT gauges

GBurton
09-11-2002, 13:47
1919a4

Nope, you are not the first to have a failure with the Allison transmission in a Duramax. Mine failed over a year ago. I never did find out what failed. The dealer (actually GM) supplied a free loaner vehicle while my vehjicle was repaired. No problems since then. smile.gif

George

Bill McGouirk
09-11-2002, 18:12
1919a4
Me to, about 1 year ago I had a load of plywood in the truck. On trhe way home from the job site it made a loud whine. I took it to the dealer and was told that I needed a new Allison trany. It took one week to get and 2 days to install I have a 4x4 maybe more work than a 4x2 to finish.

I was real unhappy at frist but after talking with the guy that did the work I felt better. He told Me that I was better off with a new trany than having him try to fix the existing one. I the past year I have put about 12,000 on the truck with no problems at all. So don't fret to much.

I think that Allison still wants any bad tranys back so they can have a look at what went wrong.

Good luck and enjoy the Taurus SHO
Bill

bearman
09-11-2002, 22:02
I went through 2 Allisons in my 2001 Dmax, my 2002 has been working sweet.
Cheers
Bear

DieselDennis
09-12-2002, 13:52
What is the deal with all these Allison failures? Bolts backing out? Planetaries going bad? TC failure? This is starting to sound like a Ford or Dodge page with these tranny failures. Atleast if the thing goes out we get a "NEW" transmission from Allison, right?

Derek M
09-13-2002, 08:17
I think what your seeing is a few of the people that have had actual problems speak up. What you don't see is the many people who haven't had any issues pipe up and say so. Overall with all the talk and chatter on the bulletin boards and such it still seems to be the consensus that the Allison is a very good transmission with minimal problems.

Knock on wood... Last weekend towed the Z to and from Tulsa, truck and transmission are no less than perfect.

1919a4
09-18-2002, 18:07
After 10 days, the truck is back on the road. The Allison was shipped to the dealer and replaced in 24 hours. I had to leave the truck for 10 days total.

Truck drives very nicely now, no shake and it has firm shifts again.

No word on what failed in the transmission.

hoot
09-18-2002, 20:56
Probably just a loose electrical connector ot a bad neutral backup switch.

You never know. Sometimes dealers just don't have a clue and a total replacement is the only way to get the thing fixed and out the door.

Glad to hear you have your truck back and all is well.

01_Duramax_Dually
09-19-2002, 08:44
DerekM,
Well Not sure about people speaking up, but remember the sample size is small on any webpage forum so you localize a few folks with various problems and for all that come by to view read this and feel an epidemic has started.
The dealer who replaced my injector pump said that they have only had 3 trucks back, all 3 were for the leaky injector pump and all had same build date window(Early 01, April - May). I believe this was a flaw at GM that was noticed and hence the quick and speedy repairs.

1919a4,
Glad to see they got right on it and fixed it with a new one. :D

ChrisG
09-19-2002, 20:41
I hope my situation goes as smooth as yours 1919a4.

Tell me if I'm lucky or just plain lucky....

I got rear ended at a stop light a month ago. After peeling off what was left of the F*** F-150 in the shop it went. While it was there I decided to have some minor things looked at(Clunking noise in driveline and some squeaks/Steering column rattle and such). Well to make a long story short I'm getting a new Allison. I have yet to talk to the mechanic (So far just the Service Rep) to get a detailed description of what the actual cause for the replacement is. I was totally shocked to say the least. Will be getting out of the rental car and into a loaner hopefully by Friday. I just bought the deep pan, spin on filter, and the Transynd and havn't yet installed them. I guess a little procrastination can sometimes be a good thing.

Chris

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: ChrisG ]

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: ChrisG ]</p>