PDA

View Full Version : Transmission coolers

marktara
12-28-2003, 09:00
What is the best tranny cooler for the 4L80? I've heard about one that has a 12 volt fan on it, who makes it and what does it cost? I just bought a new fifth wheel and would like to make sure my tranny stays cool with the added weight i will be pulling. My truck already has the aux cooler from factory

tanker
12-28-2003, 09:57
Well mine came from "BD" a few years ago. I forget what it costs, but it included everything, hoses, clamps, fittings for 3 different sized lines, wire, wire connectors, ty-wraps, thermostat to cut on and off. This was the most complete kit I ever purchased for anything. I bolted it to the floor, so it blows down from the top towards the ground. Made a big differance when towing, drops fluid temps about 50-70 degrees from inlet to outlet. a easy installation and peace of mind. smile.gif

JoeyD
12-28-2003, 11:34
tanker, where is it mounted?

HowieE
12-28-2003, 13:47
Tanker and mine are mounted inside the drivers side frame rail just under the second seat.
The unit comes witha 165 degree thermostate but if you want to capture that temperature I wraped the stat with insulation to insure the stat was seeing the fluid temperature and not a combination of fluid and outside air.

In my case I removed the trans lines fron the radiator and feed the factory cooler after the new fan driven cooler. Keep in mind the radiator can only add heat if the trans coil is on the input side of the radiator. I do cove the factor cooler in the dead of winter.

The above setup has my trans runnning at 150 degrees while towing and with thw convertor locked. When the convertor is unlocked the temperature can quickly reach 210.

If you are towing consider some means of locking the convertor at a speed below 50 mph. This will greatly reduce your trans temperatures.

marktara
12-28-2003, 18:44
If I understand this right you have the cooler with the fan on the return line just before the oil re-enters the transmission. Also thanks for the quick responses

marktara
12-28-2003, 18:46
If I understand this right you have the cooler with the fan on the return line just before the oil re-enters the transmission. Also thanks for the quick responses