PDA

View Full Version : Darn! Its my turn in the barrel

odoh
09-11-2002, 19:15
Having lurked mainly on this board for several months, I come to appreciate the expertise of the membership.
My truck was made 04/02. I thot it shifted clunky (1-2/2-1)and wouldn't hold 5th very well on grades. The missus complained about the harseness. I took it to a dealer in Colfax that said the sw was current it was normal. After talking to Nick ~ I thot to give it another shot ~ different dealer. He too said the Busy Shifting updates were already installed and the 1-2 & 2-1 ruff/harsh shifting is addressed by the same update. However, they confirm there is a problem but they don't know what it is ~ are working w/TAC and my truck is still there. They said they have only one tech that knows anything about the allisons and rely on input/direction from TAC. Meanwhile, I thot I'd chk w/you guys/girls for any ideas/thots/suggestion. TIA ~ odoh

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

odoh
09-12-2002, 18:28
In update: The dealer called to advz they at recommendation of the TAC replaced the PCM and later said TCM w/o any changes. Said it takes about 350miles before it relearns altho they did do the fast learn but w/o success. Said they wanted to work it somemore tomorrow (3rd day)and let me have it back for the weekend. If it continues after 350miles, to bring it back. It only has 2600miles on it. :( Open for suggestions ~ odoh

oneton
09-12-2002, 20:57
Odoh, tough luck I guess. My truck was build 5-02. I've got 9000 miles on her now and she hasn't skipped a beat. I'm wondering if there was an update between build date? Sorry I couldn't be more help. Just trying to throw ideas out there.

odoh
09-12-2002, 21:57
oneton ~ Thanks anyway. Two dealers have verified the installed upgrades ~ suppose I have to believe them. The current dealer is thinking something internal to the allison. I'm having a hard time w/that. I don't want a rebuilt transmission in my new truck. They indicate they've made an effort w/sw and also the hw components. All thats left is the transmission. Hard to fault that logic I guess. ~ odoh

oneton
09-13-2002, 04:26
Odoh, I was under the impression that GM didn't want any of their techs touching the tranny and it was a replacement item only!

ndamico
09-13-2002, 09:19
That's been my understanding as well. Don't they replace an Allison with a new one, not rebuilt?

odoh
09-13-2002, 16:58
Agreed but w/my luck, all the previous bad allisons have since been overhauled and waiting for me :rolleyes: Besides, if the replacements are really new, why are they painted black?

The tech took off early so they've my truck over the weekend ~ there was a part ordered that will be in monday but no one but the tech seems to know what it is.

As far as a replacement item, nothing I can find precludes rebuilt. FWIW my neighbor was hot because the water pump in his new F**D went bad and they put a rebuilt in.

As far as field maint, can't the tech/dealership replace throttle body, solenoids, relays/switches?

odoh

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

GBurton
09-13-2002, 22:38
When my transmission was replaced it was replaced with a new unit that is black in color. I was told that is to indicate that it was a replacement transmission but at least at that time it was a new, not a rebuilt unit.

George

odoh
09-16-2002, 21:59
Update: Today, I found out that a valve body was ordered for it and should arrive tomorrow. Anyone know anything about such a component? Evidently its something not internal to the allison. ~ odoh

Paintdude
09-16-2002, 22:39
I would maybe ask someone at the local Allison dealership..where they repair school buses,firetrucks,FEDEX units,etc..they have been using the Allison 1000 for quite a few years now..

Just a thought..Good Luck..

ndamico
09-17-2002, 00:50
odoh - that would be Stewart Stevenson in West Sac. on Reed Blvd. that's where I got my tranny pan/filters..

odoh
09-17-2002, 18:34
Update: Dealer advzs that there is a TAC case open and the valve body hasn't come in yet. It is an Allison sourced item and not coming thru GM. However, TAC is recommending the valve body and if that doesn't fix it, then a transmission replacement is in order. So-o-o-o, it continues . . . . . . . ~ odoh

P.S ~ They've funished a dodge neon as a loaner. Doesn't look like a serious car but its doing ok. In a another thread, I questioned air flow when in the recirc mode w/o fan being on. Consensus was that its normal and by design to preclude aphxiation (sp) etc. BUT I notice in the Neon, recirc means no outside air at all ~ period.

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

odoh
09-21-2002, 14:17
Conclusion:

Picked up the truck today. Noticed it shifts very smooth, doesn't seem to hunt (w/o load anyway). I'll need to chk the fuel economy but it does seem to have more power and lil' lower temps but that might be result of the 10days separation anxiety. The TCM was chngd out (&gt;$800) and the valvebody (&gt;$1400). Fortunately it was taken care of under warranty. I really didn't want to have the transmission chngd out and the new valvebody seem to do the trick. Now off to Nicks for the lockout and hispeed idle smile.gif ~ odoh