PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Proof Steering After-Market Tierods - Very Nice

BassinRVer
03-11-2004, 07:52
I have been working with Bullet Proof Steering at 262-673-4077 for beefer tierods since last October. I have have the first off the production line. I have the 2" keyways and I break a factory tierods everytime I go off road. My rake on my truck is 14 degrees put some may be more. They have them on there site as listed below: dvanced Automotive hnologies
========================

#TR9904GCQ14 TIE ROD KIT 99-04 Chevy/GMC 1/2 to 1-t PU/SUV/H2 IFS 4wd $549.00 (for highly lifted trucks) Includes 1 High-angle Close-Quarters

Turbo Al
03-13-2004, 07:27
Thanks Bassin River, very good info. Very well set up web site as well.
Al

BassinRVer
03-15-2004, 05:34
Thanks Turbo Al.

Turbo Al
03-15-2004, 10:30
smile.gif
You guys are sooo quite over on this forum (not complaining) I have to do something to keep me busy.
Al

Jorday
03-15-2004, 15:38
what about the pitman and idler arms. I thought some guys that don't really drive off road much were having problems with the pitman arm and the idler instead of the tierods?

:

BassinRVer
03-16-2004, 04:34
I do not know who is making the pitman and idler arms. I have heard Moog (SP?) is making something. And I have spoken to a man a Fabtech who said they were working on pitman and idler arms but I have not seen anything.

Mike330R
03-16-2004, 09:29
Any updates as to how these are working out?

I spoke with Randy quite a bit about these and he wants to make sure they are truely bullet proof before he sends any out.

BassinRVer
03-16-2004, 10:42
They fit perfectly and I can not tell any differrence with them on. I will be going to the same place this weekend that used to break the factory ones every time. This place has nearly 45 degree inclines with rocks.

LA DMAX
03-16-2004, 21:22
BassinRVer,
That unit looks pretty stout. How much is it? Thanks

LA DMAX

BassinRVer
03-17-2004, 03:04
$550.00 but you get what you pay for.

xwing
03-21-2004, 10:13
I am REALLY happy somebody is making a TOP QUALITY setup like these!!I need these!

SideNote: I have a set of NEW GM stock 2500HD inner tie rods for sale now, which I bought but haven't installed because when I got new tires they wouldn't align it since one tierod had a little play.
SO: WHERE/WHAT WEBSITE do you all go to sell/buy used/extra stuff for our trucks from other people?
Edit: Oh yeah, I am Mr Observant today, didn't see that the classifieds were in a different place from the forums. Duh.
Thanks!

[ 03-21-2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: xwing ]

britannic
03-21-2004, 13:09
The Diesel Page Classifieds (http://www.thedieselpage.com/classad.htm)

Originally posted by xwing:
I am REALLY happy somebody is making a TOP QUALITY setup like these!!I need these!

SideNote: I have a set of NEW GM stock 2500HD inner tie rods for sale now, which I bought but haven't installed because when I got new tires they wouldn't align it since one tierod had a little play. I know The Diesel Page doesn't have a For Sale section for some reason (ForSaleSection would be a BIG reason for us regular folks to $upport the website more smile.gif )--
SO: WHERE/WHAT WEBSITE do you all go to sell/buy used/extra stuff for our trucks from other people?
Thanks!

xwing
03-22-2004, 15:14
I just placed my order for a set of the BulletProof Steering Systems tie rods for my 2001 2500HD SLT D/A longbed. My stock truck isn't lifted or anything, I was planning on the middle duty Race Proof, but they went through my situation and convinced me to get the "standard" TrailProof version as it should be plenty strong enough.
Mine were 14 7/8" stock length measured the way they say on website; angle at steering knuckle with truck on ground was 4 degrees (15 degrees with wheel off ground) so they convinced me it is best to put the slight angulation in the rods to allow maximum travel. (Note, the stock steering knuckle flat surface that the joint mounts to is angled about 2-3 degrees from parallel with ground already, so my 4 degrees is from THAT flat, not the GROUND...in other words, with 4 degrees angle, my tierod end would be at 0 degrees angulation/have equal up/down deflection ability).
With drillbit, came to around $580 or so.

BassinRVer
03-23-2004, 04:56
These were so easy to put on. I thought the drilling part would be hard but was not. I did use the next smaller drill bit first then used the 3/4 inch drill bit.

kavik
03-30-2004, 18:37
Does the front end need to be re-aligned after the install, can you do the install at home?

BassinRVer
03-31-2004, 04:51
You can do them at home but an alignment is needed. In my case the tires had to be removed because of the outer bolt interferring with my 16x10 rims. FYI no interference once bolt in alll the way in place. If you can get by without removing the tires and you do not jack up the front end while doing this you do not need a alignment.

Turbo Al
05-30-2004, 13:40
BTT

xwing
06-05-2004, 03:14
I have the driverside BulletProofSteering tierod on. Have to do the passengerside yet.
Drilling the steering knuckle out to 3/4" started out fine, but...
BulletProof Co. were out of the 3/4" drill bits (wonder why:), so I got 2 from Farm&Fleet...while drilling, they both eventually bent at the necked-down area (3/8" drill size)...bought a few more, and a slightly smaller drill to do more "pilot holing". I switched from my BIG 1/2" drill (slower drillhead speed) to a 3/8" hand drill (fast head speed) to try to avoid the slower bit digging in, which instantly yanks your arm hard and bends the drillbit. I think the pilot holing made it harder rather than easier. I was using Cool Tool II cutting fluid.
Since you are drilling in a fair thickness of metal, the shaft of the bit may be what's digging in and bending the bits...be careful, and good luck smile.gif the drilling is a PITA, IMHO.

BassinRVer
06-09-2004, 09:45
I had no trouble drilling the holes out. I did not drill a pilot hole at first but it seemed like I was not getting anywhere. So I went and got the next smaller bit and then it all went good.

BassinRVer
06-09-2004, 09:48
I have not talked to Bullet Proof in awhile. Are they selling alot of their tierods? Are you saying they are because they con not keep the drill bits in stock?