PDA

View Full Version : Man o Man, GM's service departments.....

01_Duramax_Dually
09-12-2002, 09:19
Well,
I started on my journey to see if the steering problem could be an EASY fix and I could save GM and myself a bunch of grief in lost time and labor. I went to the dealership where I purchased the truck as I happened to be closer to that one then the dealership that I normally go to that helps me with my racing program,
I sat down with a service writer and politely said what my condition was and what people had gone through and how I would like to avoid all of that if at all posssible. Well the OLD GUY looked at me, immediately coped an attitude, and said " LET US TELL YOU WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE TRUCK, NOT YOU!!!
I laughed and said, "Sir, This is a problem GM has identified and it exists".
"Here is the TSB#". "I just do not want to start this round robin program with the grease deal as it is a band-aid and not a permanent fix. I do not have time to go down this road and lose time off work, have to get people to pick me up and drop me off while you guys add grease and I drive it for 2-3 K miles only to bring it back" I showed him the bearing P/N and Tool # and he said it did him no good!
Well needless to say I was not a happy customer. To compound this grief, my key FOB stopped working. I asked them if I can at least get that fixed while I am here. They said "I have to make an appt for them to confirm" I said "Well this is nuts". "How much is a new one and I will buy it"? It will cost me more to drop my truck off then the FOB is worth. He said "about 40-50 bucks, but don't forget, if you buy the FOB you have to make an appt and drop the truck off to have it programmed" ...HAHAHAHAHAHA :rolleyes: :mad:

All I can say is....GM has issues with customer service and they should be looked at as an entire organization. Unless you have a connection your a dead duck and stuck. Carl Chevrolet will not see my business again. They need to get some young guys in there that WANT to get the job done and keep a customer happy. These service writers that have been doing this for 20-30 years are tired, old grumpy men that could care less....They just want to finish up, get home, yell at their wives, have some drinks and sit their butts on the couch.

So looks like I live with the rattle and I take out the extra FOB given to me at purchase....Guess I fixed eh?....Pfffffft.!

TxDoc
09-12-2002, 10:07
This may help. Try a certified letter, return receipt requested. That will serve as a legal document.

Roy S. Roberts
Group Vice President, General Motors Corporation
North American Vehicles Sales, Service, and Marketing
P.O. Box 80487
Rochester, Michigan 48308-0487
Phone: (313) 556-5000
Fax: (313) 556-5108

ThePend
09-12-2002, 10:07
First thing....

" LET US TELL YOU WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE TRUCK, NOT YOU!!!"

I ve heard that before and went down that road. As soon as he said that, you should have asked if the service manager was in, then gone and talk to him. If you got the same attitude from the manager, then simply say thank you and go out to the administration offices and ask to see the owner. Explain your problem to him. Im sure something will happen then. You see, this happened to me. Those are the steps I took and it got me along way. Im sure when the service manager sees me now, he sortta cringes and mutters under his breath, now what. Going up the ladder does work.

Lloyd

4x4man
09-12-2002, 10:25
Unbelievable service!! That is what I am afraid of getting if/when I take my truck in for the steering rattle. I want to do a similar approach to say hey I don't have the time for the band aid's, here is the real fix, will you do it (in a nice, easy, not telling you how to do your job voice)... but worry that I will get the same response, or they will just blow me off and cost me time and money for a rental while they 'try' to find the problem on their own.
Grrrrrr.

Won't know 'till I call, but it is that call I am worried about.

Bob

GMC D-Max
09-12-2002, 10:47
Heck, I can't even get as far as the service department! I took delivery of my truck in Feb '02 (special order), and it showed up without a couple options that I specified and paid for. I've been dealing with the son of the dealership's owner (he's more or less the operations manager, and he was the one that placed my special order), and any and every time I contact him about trying to remedy this situation, I get "let me call you right back", or "I'll call you first thing in the morning". Yeah, right! This has been going on since the third day after I got the thing. Gettin' a little P.O.'d now. I'm fully expecting to get the same kind of runaround once I finally get the truck in for service. I feel for ya!! Good luck!

01_Duramax_Dually
09-12-2002, 10:53
Well let me tell you all, I was bothered buy this guys approach. I could tell by his body english when I first came in that this was going to be a battle. He had his arms all crossed, leaning way back in his chair, tilted his glasses down. The hole deal.
I was extremely polite. Said I purchased the truck from them. These guys need to realize that the company does not make much on the sale of a truck but the service department makes them the money. Tossing a ****y attitude towards me just cost them, not me. What bothered me more was the fact that they were DEAD slow. All 4 writers were just sitting there. It was not like I had caught them when they were swamped and running crazy. Again I am not picking on OLDER folks as I am 42, but all 4 of these guys have seen better days. You can tell they simply do not care. Took 10 minutes for 1 of them to acknowledge I was even in the office.....

I am heading over to the Chevy dealer where they help with the race program and see what we can do..I will keep you all posted...

GBurton
09-12-2002, 11:15
Wow, you guys make me feel good that I like in a small town. The dealer that I bought my truck from closed over a year ago. In fact a rep from GM was at the dealership, talking to the owner about closing the dealership, the day that I went in the get my truck.

I now go to the Chevy dealer in the town about 22 miles away. I walk into service and I am greeted by name. When the transmission failed on my truck last year I had to walk to the car rental office, all of about 100 feet from the service entry door. The last time I was in for service it was about the dead battery problem. After the technician checked it to see if he could find a problem he was explaining to me what he found or didn't find. I told him about the possible A/C relay problem. He told me that he was on his way to call GM support. A few minutes later he thanked me for telling him about that problem and told me that that is exactly what he was told by GM. He said that he would be happy to work on my truck anytime since I understood what was going on and was a big help to him.

A few minutes later I took the time to put in a good word for him and the service department with the owner. Yes, I was able to ask for him and talk to him without an appointment! I will admit that it does help to have a couple of friends working there. One is in the finance department and the other, well he's one of the service writers :D

George

Pointer
09-12-2002, 11:23
I also have had nothing but trouble with all of my area GM service departments. When I would take them my truck with a problem they would almost always first deny any problem found and second claim there was no approved fix by GM. I would then resort to presenting them with the service bulletins. I decided to make all attemps to service my own truck for now on when possible. The final straw was when I asked them to reprogram the speedometer for larger tires and the shop Foreman said he "never heard of such a thing". And I'm supposed to trust them servicing a diesel??

hoot
09-12-2002, 11:38
I just had a problem with mine today.

One of the things the truck was in for was intermittant air bag light staying on.

They said, we can't do anything unless there is a code or it's doing it while it's here.

Yesterday at 6:00 pm it was on. I took it right to the dealer. They hooked up a tech II and got the code. Did't do naything else but BS with me for another half hour.

This morning I called in and told my service manager I brought it in last night. He says, "There's nothing we can do unless it's here with the light on"

DUUUUUUH?????

I said, "Didn't you just hear what I said. I had it in yesterday with the light on.

He said, "We need two hours to diagnos it."

I said, you mean the only way it's gonna get fixed is if I bring it in while it's showing an intermittant problem during a time convenient for you?

And they have the nerve to put a sticker on the paperwork stating that "You will recieve a survey shortly. If you are not satified, call ...... before filling out the survey"

01_Duramax_Dually
09-12-2002, 12:09
HOLY COW...Did I leave the planet or what?

Just went by Billing's Chevrolet. Spoke with the Service manager and my friends in Parts. Well in less than 20 minutes I had a new key fob all programmed and I also got an OK to get the bearing on order for the steering. The Service Manager said I have to call for approval but that should not be a problem and we will call you when we have everything.

Now Thats what I call service.

This goes to show you that there is not a corporate wide policy it is independant and no one governs it. I have to say though, Billings has a bunch of guys that hustle, Carl Chevrolet has.....Ahh Nevermind..I think we know..I should have bought my truck from them but at the time they were not taking orders for the DMAX/ALLISON truck and Carl was.

glamisboy
09-12-2002, 12:19
......yeah I'll call them just as I drop the letter in the mailbox.

I reported my dealer to the federal trade commission because they blamed my electrical problems first on the Roll-n-lock (yeah, I fell for that), then on my B&W gooseneck (say what ?), then their "technician" finally blamed it on the tekonsha brake controller (wrong again).

I guess I really ****ed the dealer off, 'cause when the secretary called to see if I was happy with my service I told her absolutely not. She asked if I'd like to have the service manager call, you think he's called yet ??

A friend told me he heard GM is threatening to close down that dealer because of the compliants against them. So we'll see, I kinda hope I see that service writer & manager in line at the welfare office. I'll just honk, smile & wave.

Jake99Z71
09-12-2002, 13:17
I had my truck in for service yesterday. They were to replace a leaking battery on the passenger side and clean it up. Well they got part of it right, they replaced the battery but didn't clean it up. So I had to go home and clean all the acid up. I wonder if they treat Cadillac owners the same way with a leaky battery???

bora
09-12-2002, 13:57
01_Duramax_Dually

So are you happy with Billings Chevrolet.
Since they are right next to my work, I was thinking of using them for my 10K service.

Are they knowledgeable about Duramax diesels?

Thanks

Bora

01_Duramax_Dually
09-12-2002, 14:07
Bora,
Yes I recommend them. They did the service on mine when the leaky injector pump was found and they had it done in 1 day. What's also nice is they do not take appointments. You get there at about 7:15 -7:30 am and they do it first come first serve for Service which is nice because you know what's in and out. They also offer a shuttle back and forth from your work within 15 miles I believe.

Looking back, I should have gone there yesterday rather than wasting my time with Carl Chevrolet. But I was driving by them and thought "Hmm why not, I mean I did BUY the truck from them" Service after sale rings a bell for me.... :D

Anyway you should have great luck with them.

There number is 408-453-8200 if you want to confirm anything.

Good Luck.

P.S. Also, if you want to service this yourself let me know, I would be glad to help you. There really is nothing much to it and it would take about 3-4 hrs worst case.

bora
09-12-2002, 14:32
Thanks Jeff,

When I bought my Duramax, Billings did not have one in stock, and Carl having 3 trucks in stock would not do GMS pricing so I ended up buying my truck from Crown Chevrolet in Dublin from a salesmen that is a sprint car racer.

I don't mind doing the service on cars but that filter is really hard to get off and I don't feel like breaking a knuckle trying to get it off this time :) I almost broke one last time.

I also don't have jackstands high enough so that I can rotate the tires. But if I change my mind, I will look you up.

BTW, maybe we should do a Duramax picnic or something before the weather gets below 70
:D

MadDuraMax
09-12-2002, 15:28
It seems like this kind of "service" is becoming more common amoung dealers. I was a Dodge customer but switched to GMC in part due to poor service.

Example on my old Status : 13,000 miles, ABS light problem. Dealer "fixed it". Noticed on the way to work the next day I had brake pluse (suspected front rotor warped too much lug nut torque). Back to the dealer...RF wheel removed normally, LF took a 2 foot breaker bar!! The service writer said he could fix it, but would charge me! After three days of arguing, he agreed to replace the rotor as a "favor" (WTF)!

Decided then and there I'd do all my own work on my Dodge Truck & Stratus and have unless absolutely necessary to bring it back to the dealer.

Hope this isn't the case with GMC (Good GMC in Grand Rapids)!

CSDMAX
09-12-2002, 16:00
01_Duramax_Dually and bora,

If you need another good stealer, Courtesy Chevrolet was great when I lived in SJ with my 97 CC gasser. I know they got booted out of their location when that huge development started up...now partially burned up! Did they move to a new location? Anyway, they were always helpful and had great service.

DON

mdadgar
09-12-2002, 17:54
I've had exceptionally good service from Moore GMC in Los Gatos (where I live). They actually offered to reprogram the truck for 265 tires if I go that way, and they keep giving me vouchers for breakfast at the cafe down the street when I bring it in for an oil change (while I wait).

I bought the truck there, which may help. But let me tell you, it was the least painful car buying experiecne I've ever had. Close to zero dickering, they basically met my price, and they didn't try to sell me rust-proof undercoating ("We don't even know what that is.").

I recommend 'em.

- Mark
'02 Sierra 2500HD D/A CC SB 4x4

ccds
09-12-2002, 18:07
Well its nice to see most of us are having the same problem. Its like some have said, if you don't have an in your out of luck.

I had a vibration in the front end when in 4WD. I went to 2 dealerships here in Calgary. They both said that the vibration was normal. I dumped the oil out of the front end and there was so much metal fillings it was hard to beleive. I took dig. pic's and took them in to show them. They did nothing not even dump the oil to look. Finally I took it back to the dealer out of province that I bought it from and he replace the front end.
It seems there is a GM Policy somewhere that says you have to keep saying no in hopes the customer will go away.

I sold the truck today and have another one arriving here on Sept. 26. hoping it will have no problems as GM SERVICE SUCKS.....

WAKE UP GM...YOU HAVE A GREAT PRODUCT IN THE DURAMAX BUT YOUR SERVICE IS 1 ON A SCALE OF 10!!!!

Tinbender
09-12-2002, 22:35
AS long as we are on the subject of service dept. has anyone found a decent Chevy service dept. in the Seattle area, perferability north? The one dealer That I've been too is the same as the formentioned. Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob

oneton
09-13-2002, 05:06
Oh brother, I feel your pain! I could go on and on about the horrible service I recieved at two local stealerships. But last one didn't use the proper extensions and crushed my running boards while working on the rear end(for the 4th time) I'm sure the tech was pi$$ed and intensionally did it because I wanted it done right,IMAGINE THAT!!!( rear shoes were getting soaked with axle greese after replacing the entire rear axle housing)This is the same stealership that I spent 17,000 in service in a year and half and this is how I get treated. Also, it didn't matter when it came time to buy a new truck. They still would not come off sticker.

ccds
09-13-2002, 06:39
I sent GM a link to this thread....probably won't do any good but worth a try.
Too bad they don't pull up their socks they have such a great product in the Duramax....

smile.gif

Dawg
09-13-2002, 09:56
Tinbender,

I know it's out of your way but Gamblin in Enumclaw has been perfect. I have them listed on the DP section on good dealerships if you need more info. I haven't really had anything go wrong with my truck except for a couple minor items. I just stopped in and they took care of it while I waited. Dave Cooper is their diesel guy and he knows these trucks.

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: Dawg ]</p>

mattb5150
09-14-2002, 18:23
Mark, glad to hear about Moore GMC I will take my truck there the next time I have a problem. I had same story as 01 Dmax Dually with Gilroy GMC and Capitol GMC "you don't diagnose your truck we do"
BS.

Matt B.

Kevin
09-14-2002, 18:35
I am a GM tech and here is a little advice.

First, GM warranty does not pay very good, so most dealers would rather do customer pay.

Always take your truck back to your selling dealer for service. They make money off the sale of your vehicle, not the service. Sometimes it helps to get your salesman involved. Make friends with the service department. They are not the enemy. Give the dealer a chance. Dont think you have all the answers just because you are a DP member and you read about a TSB. Just because its a TSB does not mean all trucks will have this problem. If you look at the TSB's they say this is inteneded for the mechanic. There is a reason for that.
Another very important thing is that you take your vehicle in for service and not only waranty for. As stated earlier, they dont make anything off warranty work. People that take their truck in for service and repairs after the warranty is up are treated better.

I already know some of the hot heads will flip out because of what I said, but thats why you get bad servive. You would be suprised at how many people come in and have all the answers and know what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Wally
09-14-2002, 19:33
I am a customer and here is a little advice if you want my business.
Number one:
I am a CUSTOMER and it doesn't matter if it's warranty work or regular service. Treat me like a customer!

Number Two:
If you want my regular service prove to me that you can perform warranty work in a timely fashion with the courtesy due someone who just shelled out 30-40K for a new vehicle.

Number three:
When I do come in for a routine oil change make sure the person doing the work is actually a trained or training mechanic and not some 6 dollar an our lot jockey who couldn't care less which oil he uses.

Number Four:
Apathy and rudeness breed apathy and rudeness. If your service writer is useless then generally the mechanics will be just as bad!

Number Five:
Leave the damn radio alone or at least have the courtesy to put it back where you found it. Shame on your ass if you mess with the presets!!

Number Six:
Quote from Kevin "You would be suprised at how many people come in and have all the answers and know what needs to be done to fix the problem."

Sometimes we do know what we are talking about! I promise you that I am a better troubleshooter than 98% of the Auto Techs out there. I may not know all of the subtle nuances of the TechII but I definitely know when something is wrong. Listen to us!! Nothing urinates me off more than dealing with a service writer who has already decided that they are going to flag this problem with the dreaded, "could not duplicate"!
I do know both sides of the story. Went to work at a Ford house at age 16. Worked in make ready for a few months before moving to the front shop. By 18 I was flagging more hours than anyone in the shop. Spent another year in a GM dealership.
BTW GM products are much more technician friendly than Fords.

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: Wally ]

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: Wally ]</p>

Kevin
09-14-2002, 20:43
One of the main things you should remeber is ALWAYS go to your selling dealer. They made the money from selling you the $30-$40k truck. They will care more about you as a customer. Talk to the salesman. He can and will help make sure you get the service you deserve. He wants to sell you another truck.

Like I said most people don't know whats wrong with their truck, but think they know it all. Case in point, I worked on a 2001 S10 Blazer this week. Customer thought it needed a new speedo cable. He insisted it was causing a noise he was hearing. The Blazer does not use a cable, but he was sure that was the problem.

Tinbender
09-14-2002, 21:51
I am a customer and here is a little advice if you want my business.
Number one:
I am a CUSTOMER and it doesn't matter if it's warranty work or regular service. Treat me like a customer!
Number Two:
If you want my regular service prove to me that you can perform warranty work in a timely fashion with the courtesy due someone who just shelled out 30-40K for a new vehicle.

Number Three
IF YOU DONOT UNDERSTAND, REFER TO NUMBER ONE.

I am the one that shelled out $30-45K and have the final say in where I spend the next $40-50K. GM advertises nationwide warrenty service, I interpet that to mean any Chev dealer. I didn't buy from my local dealer because I wasn't stupid enought to pay 2 grand OVER MSRP.

Bob

oneton
09-14-2002, 22:02
Kevin, I've delt with many serivce tech like yourself. None of them worth a $hit. Maybe it's just Tampa but I've had no luck here. I recieved no better service spending $17,000 in business with the "guys in back" and none of it warrenty work. Same old BS and the worst regular mantainace record to boot. I got the nastiest look when I drove back to the dealership when I found that the tech forgot to install my oil filler cap back on my last oil change and I had the balls to ask for a replacement. Mind you I just spent over 11 grand in a brand new engine install in my 94 6.5 TD at this place. Which also took them six months and no less then 15 trips back to service to get the engine running right. All of which cost me even more money for rentals that they wouldn't pick up.
Then I gave them another $2900 for a complete rear axle housing replacement with incendentals and front end work. So I bring the truck, for the fourth time, because they didn't do the work right in the first place, they decide to lift my truck by the running boards. Apparently it would have taken too long to find the right extensions. Then the TECH has the gull to get's mad at the service writer for allowing me back to inspect my truck. And even one up from that, was the service manager. When I asked for something in writing that they were taking responsiblity for the damage of my running board and they would be replaced I got a resounding "I just don't know what the hell you want from us" UMMM!!! What's wrong with this picture? They never apologized!!

I'm the customer and like most here, know what the h*ll we're talking about but I lack the time to service the truck myself with a business to run. I pulled the engine work from one dealership to another because the TECH didn't properly diagnose a FSD as the problem and wanted to take the quick and easy way out and replace the entire fuel injection system and not spent anymore time diagnosing the problem in which they charge me for anyway.

I could go on about even more crazy crap but there is no point. Being friendly does help with them taking care of the car but is also opens the door for too much trust and could be taken advantage of. Case in point&gt; I have friend that took his car in for a brake light. They said that it was just a malfunctioning switch and it would be ok. Two hours later he's almost in a accedent when the brake pedal froze solid and wouldn't budge. He takes it back and they said "sorry" and it was the booster and master cylinder. After he told me what he was being charged I flipped out. Called around and asked for pricing on just the parts. This guys was going to charge 110% more for the same rebuilt parts you can buy over the counter. Typically, one or the other but not both will fail at the same time. To make a long story short, it was neither. Turns out the old car came with one of the first ABS systems and it was going bad. They bypassed the unit and the brakes work fine. We saved him around $330 by asking questions and verifing the problem and not relying solely on the mechanic that is too busy to do his job right.

Question everything!!!

SoMnDMAX
09-14-2002, 22:56
Whew!! Thank G** I've got a good dealer.... The stuff some of you have been thru is rediculous!!

Thanks to the folks at Bob Schuck Chevrolet for making my buying experience smooth and painless!!!

MadDuraMax
09-15-2002, 09:04
Kevin wrote:

"Another very important thing is that you take your vehicle in for service and not only waranty for. As stated earlier, they dont make anything off warranty work. People that take their truck in for service and repairs after the warranty is up are treated better."

Hmm.. The dealer gets the "book" for warranty work plus the parts mark up (where the "real" money is). That's not "dont make anything".

From a business standpoint I rather have 3% of something than 30% of nothing.

Kevin, I don't think anyone on here wants to flame you personally, but we are the customers. No the customer is NOT always right, but he is always the customer and is NOT ALWAYS wrong.

I've got a post on here about my dealer over torqueing a front wheel, warping a rotor. I failed to mention that the work was performed by a 16-17 year old HS student on a summer job. Yet I was paying the full shop rate and had to argue the point with the service writer to get a free replacement.

"One of the main things you should remeber is ALWAYS go to your selling dealer. They made the money from selling you the $30-$40k truck. They will care more about you as a customer. Talk to the salesman. He can and will help make sure you get the service you deserve. He wants to sell you another truck".

BTW. the "selling dealer" went out of business on the above. Probably for poor service.

Mark

mattb5150
09-15-2002, 11:07
My selling dealer is 2 hours away, none of the dealers here in the Bay Area would deal on a Dmax when I bought mine. I'm not going to go to my selling dealer for service. You're really telling us that the service dept. doesn't make anything off warranty work? What's your resoning for this? I can't wait 'til my warranty is up then I know how things will get fixed on my truck, by me the only person so far that I can find that cares about it. This warranty isn't worth the hassle.

Matt B.

tim975
09-15-2002, 16:56
Kevin-

It's people like you that really chap the customer's rear. Me for example, I own a 2001 2500HD DMax/Allison. I bought it 3 months ago brand new (sat on the dealer lot for over a year). I don't know why no one bought it, but I did. Anyway, I have 9300 miles on it now, and I've had many problems with the transmission. When I stop, I feel a "surge", like I get hit from behind. When I start, I feel like a "neutral drop", the engine climbs to high RPM and all of a sudden it kicks in. It's been for service 6 times now, and every time it's the same old story. When I leave the dealership garage, I feel the same thing as I did when I brought it in. This past Monday, the "Service engine soon" light came on, took it in, came up as transmission code, blamed it on a pressure switch. How long will I have to wait for that to come in? Is it the customer's fault that you don't get paid good for warranty work? Is it the customer's fault that something goes wrong with their truck? Is it the customer's fault that it's Friday and the assembly line worker wants to hurry get to the bar before last call? Should the customer pay the price because it's warranty work and because you don't get paid good enough for doing the work, you send it out the door saying "there's nothing wrong with it", or "we can't find the problem"? I traded a perfectly fine '97 GMC truck with absolutely no problems, and spent $36,000 on a lemon. What ever happened to customer loyalty? How true is "we do it right the first time"? IMHO, I think it's a bunch of B.S. If I had the time and the equipment, I'd do the work myself so I didn't have to bring my truck to the dealership and ask "what's wrong with it?" Unfortunately, I haven't found a GM dealership in my area with a set of brains. It's sad that now adays money has to come before the customer. You need to do what it takes to make that customer happy. If we, the customer, would get it fixed right "the first time", we wouldn't have to take time out of our busy schedule to bring our trucks in to get worked on a second time, or how ever many times it takes to get fixed. I think I speak for everyone here that has had this experience. Just had to put my $0.02 in. Tim H.

chevmeister
09-15-2002, 21:17
Had to edit my post didnt feel like everyone need to know the details. But I had alot of bad luck lately with the NUCAR connection. Wilmington DE. Their service dept is lacking seriously, they drive as well as they work. Just a hint their body shop is slower than their service dept. Untill recently have had nothing but good luck. up till last month I would refer anyone but now all I can say is they arent the same people that sold me my truck. Service in the past was great. I will not take my 02 dmax to them. Wish they would come around. They always have a good selection of cars and trucks and most of the time have a dmax sitting on the lot. For now the lawyers will have to settle things for us but the GM of the dealership hopefully will iron out the problems.

[ 09-15-2002: Message edited by: chevmeister ]</p>

01_Duramax_Dually
09-16-2002, 09:14
WOW, I see I started a Post that has hit home with a lot of owners.

As for Kevin's comments(Not flaming, just offering rebuttal) I DID take the truck where I purchased it. I even mentioned it to the service writer when I first walked in. I introduced myself, smiled and said "I bought my truck from you guys and ......."

Bottomline here is this. There is no standardize operation practice hence the inconsistency from business to business. I can say this about Carl Chevrolet, the Fleet manager who sold me the truck was very very polite but all the SERVICE writers need some "time out back behind the shed". They are all real late 50's early 60's, Could give a rats butt about you. Like I said, they want to come in, write the order, do not want to listen, go home and plunk there butts down on the couch and complain about everything.

As for TSB's, well I stand that GM put them out there and posted the symptoms. If you have the exact symptoms you should be able to go in and mention the info and not get the "LOOK" like you have no idea what you are talking about. As for servicing my truck with them. Why in the HELK should I take my truck in and pay $85 an hour for something I can do and KNOW 100% it is done correctly? Tire rotation $100, Oil change $100, Fuel filter $120 + 1hour to change, lube job $55.....BS...I did all that in 2 hours and it cost me about $75 and I did not have to wait 2 days to get it back. So if you are saying TAKE it to them so they can rob me so I will get better service is a lousy sales tactic and is down right a$$nine...I am the customer PERIOD. If it were not for me and the others buying trucks, those old DUFFS would have no JOBS!

As for the truck, I absolutely love it. problems have been 1 with the leaky injector pump back when I picked it up. Now the steering thing is more of a fix it before the warranty goes out JUST IN CASE" it is a bigger problem later. But I have to drop it off, they have to drive it around and say "YEP" it rattles then go through the Grease band-aid issue is STUPID. GM should take it for face value and recall them all and install the bearing...

Anyway, Billing's Chevrolet has my business now and Carl Chevrolet is out and that goes for any future GM vehicle purchases as well!...see what lousy customer service does for business..... :D

Carry ON.....

MudNurI
09-17-2002, 06:17
well, I went to my "selling dealer" (see other post, spent over 200K at that said dealership on vehicles)......... they crushed my o-ring during an oil change- ran the truck more than 1/2 out of oil.........

went to second dealership- TOLD them what was wrong, they ordered, they fixed.... only thing ever done at that dealership was 2 'vette's being worked on..... NEVER bought ANYTHING from them..the difference is

S E R V I C E hence that's why its called a SERVICE department, YOU are here to SERVICE ME.... I don't HAVE to bring my truck to you, you had better earn the right to work on my truck..

and I don't mean YOU in any particular way, its an open statement- YOU as in ANY technician. BTW, there is ONLY 1 technican that will EVER work on my truck AGAIN..... and he is NOT at the selling dealership.

sorry to rant, but this kind of thing burns my a**

Brandy

oneton
09-18-2002, 17:35
Vent all you want, CCDS sent this thread to GM. Everytime someone from there, not likely, reads this they'll see more and more customers are dissatified with GM's local service centers and shape things up with those we complain about.

These two are for the birds.

Autoway Chevrolet.... TAMPA, FL
Ferman Chevrolet....Brandon, FL

12case
09-25-2002, 18:43
I live in Kenmore, and have taken my D/A to Biddle in Bothell. They have serviced my 6.5 as well. They have been most helpfull.

Tinbender
09-25-2002, 21:18
12case

I must live up the hill from you, I surely will give Biddle a try in the next week or so. Need to get the 5th gear lock out done, too much shifting on these hills. Seaview Chev will never see me again. Thanks

Bob

Paintdude
09-25-2002, 21:52
i called the dealer today and told them the patch job on my steering rattle didn`t fix it..I offered the service bulliten to him and he said he would get back in touch with me when he had the tech check the bulliten out...

I will call him agin tommarrow afternoon and remind him...

As far as a service tech telling us he does not get paid enough for warrenty work..I have worked at Gm dealerships most of my adult life (120 hr commission weeks)and can agree that is doesn`t pay very well for a slow mechanic.. UC a good mechanic is fast and does a good job..Not slow and does a good job...

If you do not want to do warrenty work, do like I did..Open your own shop..I did almost 13 yrs ago..and I do not do any factory warrenty work..

complain to Gm ,,not us....

socaltoolguy
09-25-2002, 22:52
I am very dissappointed to hear about all of the poor service depts. that you alll have been to. I live in So. Cal. and so far have only been in for an oil change at 3500 miles. Has anyone been to Selman Chev. in Orange, Ca. They have treated me as a customer up till now but have not had to have any warranty work done. Please let me know if there is any feedback on them either way. Thanks guys for all the info. You are all great.

Pizza Man
09-26-2002, 19:38
So I took my truck in today to get the steering problem fixed...And when I picked it for a test drive there was something stuck in the steering wheel...YUP....stuck...So back at the shop the tech was taking the steering wheel apart ( to make a long story short) and he said that "someone has been here before theres screws missing" Obviously I said "NOT"! well anyway turns out my airbag sensor coil wire was coming out and causing the noise in the steering wheel. And while he was in the steering wheel he said my steering wheel lock is missing!
twilight zone... thats what I say! 1st of all wheres the steering wheel lock....2nd wheres the 3 bolts that hold the steering wheel housing , 3rd why did the airbag coil sensor come uncoiled.
I HATE dealers....damn truck runs great with NO problems for 53ooo miles and I go in for a standard steering bulletin repair and now I have to go back to the dealer for a new airbag sensor coil and a steering wheel lock!
argh!!!

obviously so I could drive the truck home they disconnected the airbag(light is now on, on the dash)the steering lock does not work when I shut the truck off and I still have the scraping noise in the steering wheel.

aaargh arggghh

mdrag
09-26-2002, 20:35
Pizza Man,

No steering wheel lock on the '01 - '02 2500HD/3500 trucks...

Pizza Man
09-26-2002, 20:58
ok...so hmmmm..no steering wheel lock...that helps my thinking...thanks....so I guess I'm lucky the airbag didn't go off.

b

AKDmax
09-30-2002, 16:36
My turn!! 11,550 miles. Took the truck in today because the steering wheel is off center and it pulls to the left. Has been since day one. Had some other minor issues like the service 4wd light, rear spring isolators, the drivers door is sagging, and the rear door is rubbing the weather stripping away on the top. I live in a small town so the selling dealership is the servicing dealership. No choices! Well I explained to the service writer (Nice lady) I was going to wait, so if the Tech had any questions he could come and talk to me. I watched the Tech raise the truck, look under the truck for about a minute, lower the truck, open and close the door a couple times to see if I'm dreaming. Does a few laps around the truck with his hands in his pockets and pulls it back out of the shop. Must be trying to get a full hours pay. WTF!! I talked to the service writer and asked about the steering wheel and alignment. "We don't adjust alignment under warranty after 7,500 miles" Now I'm Pi$$ed! Wait, I had it in at 3792 for the alignment and air conditioning (which they fixed neither). A different service writer told me at 3792, no alignment adjustments could be done before 5,000 miles.

csimo
09-30-2002, 20:26
Kevin,

I don't know if the dealer you work for actually told you those things (warranty work doesn't pay, service department doesn't make money, etc.) but they are plain wrong!

The service department of most dealers is the profit center with warranty work at the top of the list. The manufacturer pays warranty book time for all warranty repairs at the REGULAR posted labor rate of the dealership. This is per federal law and is no different for any new car dealer regardless of brand.

Dealers couldn't stay in business with the profit margins they make on new vehicle sales. Most smart buyers buy at 5% over invoice or lower, and the dealer gets the holdback (averages 3%). No retail business can make it on under 10% gross margins. The service departments are running huge profits and that's the only way dealers can stay in business.

If you told most dealers they could quit selling new vehicles and just service them they would love it. GM investigated running reigonal service centers and the dealers revolted.

The GM warranty does not require, or even request that you take the vehicle to the selling dealer. GM still requires you to be brand specific except for Oldsmobile which can be repaired at any GM dealer.

mackey_62
10-01-2002, 06:02
I agree, stealers are making big bucks on warranty work.
I know for a fact (what I saw vs. what I saw on receipt) that stealer uses brand X (cheap) and charges you (or GM in warranty case) for for brand Y (eggspensive).
Caught my stealer using local discount parts stores' cheapo 15w40 oil while giving me one of my free oil changes. But, my receipt stated Rotella was used. Next time I questioned what brand beforehand, and have a receipt showing that cheapo oil was used (my insurance for any possible future warranty issues). I have since changed my own oil, don't want the remaining "freebies".

Also, have a friend who is parts manager at local F*%# stealer. Part of his salary is is based on months gross parts receipts. Trust me, stealers are making from both ends. Charge GM/F*#@ for eggspensive, give you cheapo.

Also, had some warranty issues with rear axle seals on '96 K1500. One side leaking, claimed to change both sides. Well, short time later other side was leaking??? Supposed to have been a new seal. IMHO they only changed one each time, but charged GM for 3 under warranty.

ZFMax
10-02-2002, 17:10
My attempts to get the handful of minor problems on my '02 fixed were a horror story. Dealer apathy and incompetence. I was patient with them, just kept bringing it back and giving them every chance in the world, but the fact was, they just couldn't or wouldn't fix the problems. I didn't lose patience with them until they tried BS'ing me, telling me the issues were "normal". I don't appreciate being insulted like that.

I was really second guessing my whole decision to buy a Chevy, since I never had to go through these hassles with my previous truck (a Ford), despite having about a million more problems the Ford dealer always managed to eventually fix them and never once tried to tell me the problems were "normal".

But before throwing in the towel, I took the truck back to the dealer I bought it from, Davidson Chevrolet in Loveland CO. which is out of my way. What a difference. Fixed all the "normal" issues in only 3 visits. They even did the steering box bearing thing before there was a TSB for it, something the other dealer flat refused to do, and it 100% cured the steering rattle.

Had to go back there today, I had intermittent distorted sound from my left front speaker. Amazingly, they had a speaker in stock, and put it in while I waited. I was there a total of about an hour, and I have yet to hear that distortion again, so I think that was it.

If not for their great service, I wouldn't own a Chevrolet.

Tinbender
10-02-2002, 18:07
Thanks again to 12case for refurring me to Biddle Chev. Took the truck in for the 4-5-4 shift problem and rattling windshield. They acted as though they were glad to see me and took care of the problems in a professional manner. Great job guys.

Can't believe the difference 10 miles makes, That's the way SERVICE should be.

Bob