PDA

View Full Version : Wet Allison

Swayse
09-12-2002, 12:13
I don't have a leaking Allison, just a wet one. It drys up during the day, but over night all the dirt that stuck to it during the day is wet. When the truck was new(3 days old) I seen a little pink drop hanging from the trany bell housing by the little weap hole. It looks like it's coming from around the bell housing and not out of the weap hole. Should I be worried? Dealer doesn't think so. I've got over 5,500 miles on it now, no worse, no better.

douglas belon
09-12-2002, 12:25
I HAVE A 2002 AND I FOUND THE SAME THING AT FIRST OIL CHANGE. DEALER SAID DON'T WORRY. YEA RIGHT!!!!
I HOPE SOME BODY HERE KNOWS WHAT THAT FLUID IS. IT BOTHERS ME THANKS FOR ANY HELP

MGM
09-13-2002, 14:11
The o rings are leaking in the convertor, it WONT fix itself! WARRANTY!!

77TransAm
09-13-2002, 16:32
There have been a few causes found for minor leaks around the front of the trans. The most common is a leaking seal on one of the 10 bolts that hold the front support/pump assembly to the converter housing.

If that is the cause of your leak, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that this type of leak will not progress - it won't leak any worse next year than it does today. The bad news is that if you want it fixed, the trans has to come out.

Another possibility, slightly less likely, is porosity in the main case leading to one of the bolt holes that secure the converter housing to the main case. If that is the case, the fix is to install a copper crush washer under the head of the bolt, similar to the type of washer that is used where the brake line secures to the caliper. That leak also should not progress, and if the bolt is one that is accessible from the outside of the converter housing, the trans doesn't even have to come out to install the washer.

Normally a leaking input seal or any other type of problem with the pump or converter will rapidly progress to the point that you can't ignore it any more, so based on your description I'm guessing your problem does not involve one of those components.

Swayse
09-14-2002, 06:10
Oh great. Guy at the dealer said it wasn't bad enough to mess with. So if I want this fixed I gotta jump up and down, holler, cus and swear. And If I don't fix it, there goes my resale value. :(

opiekelly
09-15-2002, 15:50
I had the same leaking problem on my tranny, they actually replaced mine. I would put a call into the Better Business Bureau.

12case
09-25-2002, 18:17
I had the same slight leak from the front of my transmission. The dealer tried twice to fix it, and then the factory told them to put in a NEW transmission. The leak started at about 17,000 miles. I have just completed a 6000 mile trip with my 5'er, and do not see a drop.