PDA

View Full Version : Stock Tire Differences?

conradv
09-12-2002, 17:08
OK, so what is the difference between:
Stock LT245/75R16E "All-season" SBR BSW Tires
Stock LT245/75R16E "On-off road" SBR BSW Tires

Tread?
What make and are they worth anything at all?

Mine is coming with the on-off road - not sure if I'll upgrade 'em right away or not...

CntrlCalDmax
09-12-2002, 20:06
The tires that came on my truck were the "On off road" and were Firestone Steltex. They had a moderate block tread pattern. At 31,000 miles they still had 15% left but I took them off because I bought a set of PYO wheels with the standatd tires. They are Bridgestones and have a more passenger car type tread. Soon I hope to have a set of Michelins on.

conradv
09-13-2002, 11:49
Are the on-off road tires any good on snow/ice?

DMAXTODD
09-15-2002, 09:58
my original Firestone Steeltexson/off roads were good in the snow,but wore out at 26,000 miles.

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-15-2002, 18:35
I have the stock 245/85/16 Bridgestone (car like tread).They are quiet and give a fairly pleasant ride.

I ordered my truck and forgot to specify on/off road tires and when it came in I DID NOT WANT FIRESTONES so I did not ask for a rim/tire swap!!!

......even though Bridgestone is the same company. Anyway I have 11,300 miles now and rotate every 3K orless when I change out the oil.

So Far so good, a little scary in heavy rain, lack of traction.

You should be fine , you only have two choices.

I will wait till winter and probably go with an 8" aluminum rim with 285's. Keep these for the summer months.

GMC ;)

dmaxstu
09-15-2002, 19:32
I have my original tires on the truck and have not rotated them for good reason. When you rotate the tires you assume the alignment is in good order.
I have never had a new vehicle that did not have to have the front wheels aligned and you won't find that out if you rotate the tires.
This GMC is no different the left tire is showing more wear on the inside of the tire than the outside, if I had rotated the tires I would not have found that out untill well past the warrantee period and would have to foot the bill for that one. In the mean time she is going in for a wheel alignment under warrantee. She'll be allready for the larger tires and Alcoa wheels when these old ones are worn out.After that I will rotate the tires. Stu

[ 09-15-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

hickcox
09-15-2002, 20:25
My Firestone SteelTex On/Off roads were good in the snow last winter, but are about worn out at 18,000 miles. I've only rotated them once, with only city driving on them, and they're evenly worn with no signs of misalignment. But I plan on replacing them next month with Michelin Mud/Snow even though I'm told I still have another 5k of life left in them. I can't stand the rear of the truck always trying to pass me on slightly wet surfaces.
I can't figure out why these Firestone SteelTex's are wearing so fast. True I have a lead foot, but usually tires last me 35-40k miles. I'll never accept Firestone tires on a vehicle again.