PDA

View Full Version : New shocks - will they help?

ChopperBill
09-13-2002, 02:50
Just installed a new Lance camper and a week later installed Air Lift bags. I cant believe what a difference the bags made in handling. It still has a lot of "wallow" to it going threw dips and bumps, especially while turning a corner. Will Ranchos or Bilstiens help that much? Truck only has 2000 miles and I hate to keep throwing money at it. If you recommend the shocks can I get by with just the rears? The camper is a 835 and we are just at the GVW.

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: ChopperBill ]

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: ChopperBill ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
09-13-2002, 12:15
Shocks help immensely. If going offroad, I'd recommend Bilsteins. If only fwy use, the Rancho 9000x series are 9 way adjustable for varying loads.

If the truck si swaying too much with the camper on, try a rear anti-sway bar.

Regards, Steve

ChopperBill
09-13-2002, 13:35
We go back on trail roads so the Bilsteins and anti sway bar may be the ticket. Not to familar with the sway bars. Easy to install?

SoCalDMAX
09-13-2002, 14:40
I have no experience with installing them personally. There was a great thread discussing it a few days ago. IIRC, one owner felt there were too may parts on the Hellwig(?) brand, but GM does make an anti-sway bar for another vehicle that should just bolt right on. All of this I read on the other thread.

If I get some time this weekend, I'l research it a little more for you. Edit: Just found the old thread:
http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000410

The rear sway bar comes equipped on the chassis cab trucks. The parts dept. at your local dealer should be able to provide all PNs and prices.

Regards, Steve

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

3TV
09-13-2002, 21:58
Bill,
I had a '97 version of the exact same camper you have, on a '98 Dodge 3500 V-10 truck. Even that one ton dually Dodge would sway and wallow with the camper loaded on. The problem is both the weight of the camper, and the tall center of gravity of that load. We hated the swaying and wallowing, and eventually sold the slide in camper and replaced it with a Weekend Warrior toy hauler.

A rear sway bar will provide the biggest bang for the buck when it comes to taming that swaying and wallowing problem.

I would suggest Rancho 9000 shocks for your truck. They helped tame the swaying on our Dodge, that's for sure. You can then set them at their stiffest level when you have the camper on board, and a much softer level when the truck is empty. Non-adjustable shocks will provide the same damping characteristics irregardless of load, so they will be either too soft when you are loaded, or too stiff when you are empty. And that even applies to the very excellent quality Bilstein shocks.

3TV

mark45678
09-14-2002, 07:52
I have been running Rancho's RS(9000) shocks for a bout 15K now they can be stiffed up to handle the extra load of towing or just extra bed weight. most of the time I run them set on3 and depending on how much weight is in tow of the bed 4~5 they totaly stop the po-go stick ride I was getting with the stock shocks!!! well worth the 300 I paid for the 4 of them!

ChopperBill
09-15-2002, 14:06
Thanks for the info guys. Coming back from ATV camping this weekend we got into some highway construction and the upgraded shocks are next on the list. Will check on the bars also.