PDA

View Full Version : Truck security. What do you have?

reyb
11-14-2005, 12:03
So, I just picked up a used 2003 GMC Crewcab Duramax and needless to say I am very happy with the vehicle. With that said, I was wondering what other folks use for security. I plan on getting a Club for the steering wheel, but what else? I'd like to take out a fuse or a module so that I pretty much know that any would be robbers will not be able to start it. Anyone do anything like this?

Thanks,

Rey

MTTwister
11-14-2005, 13:10
reyb - jeez, where do you live? You could always jack it up and pull the wheels :D .

reyb
11-14-2005, 13:45
Yeah, I suppose that's true. That reminds me of a Ford crewcab diesel I saw in the parking lot in San Diego. The owner had a thick cable that he had looped in and around the suspension and then through the front wheel. Probably pretty effective, but not my style. smile.gif

Rey

Troy
11-14-2005, 20:24
I use the club in addition to an engine kill switch. Both are fairly easy to defeat if you know what you are doing. I live in Tucson, AZ (~50 miles from Mexico). Vehicles disapear all the time. My dad only spends 3 months here during the winter and 2 years ago he went into a store came out 10 minutes later and his truck (F**d F350) was gone never to be seen again. He had the factory alarm and club. Still didn't slow them down. All you can do is hope to make it easier to move on to the truck next door. A multi-layered approach seams to work best. Knocck on wood I've lived here 20 years and never had a vehicle stolen Or maybe F**ds are just easier to break into.

David Proske
11-15-2005, 07:47
The only sure bet is to pay a Marine to sit in the cab with a M16 while you are away.

An aftermarket alarm with a plainly visable flashing LED seems to deter the common criminal. However the "educated" ones will still try and tear up the inside of your vehicle before someone scares them off or they give up.

If you don't have an alarm, good luck. A skilled thief will drive off with your truck in less than 20 seconds. Maybe even less, but thats what I've observed in auto theft stings.

More common is BMV's. They will break in your truck and trash the inside just to see whats in there. They are looking for cell phones, cash, guns, drugs(legal and non), and the easy to steal car stereos.