PDA

View Full Version : 40/20/40 seat - owners BEWARE!!

Barc
09-13-2002, 14:05
I took my truck in to the dealer today to have some minor repairs and maintenance done - I have been having trouble opening the console between the seats - asked the service department to replace the latch or whatever it took so I could once again open the console up. Guess what??? NO REPLACEMENT PARTS for the center console!!! New console $739 Canadian!!! WHAT A LOAD OF SH*T!!! :mad: Long story short they had a console that was taken out of a van that was converted to a service vehicle - it is basically the same except the fakey leather top is now a fabric of some kind!! The latch on that console has give me headaches from day one - but it always opened up (after the odd cuss and bang) IF this console gives you ANY trouble at all - and you are still covered by WARRANTY GET IT REPLACED NOW!!! I still can't believe that you have to replace the WHOLE FREAKING UNIT!! Seat, middle seat belt, console, cup holders, everything is one complete unit!! A BIG THUMBS DOWN to the General on this one!! I have had a 99 Z71, a 00 Z71 and now my 01 DMAX but days like this I feel like wrapping my hands around someones neck!!! ***RANT MODE OFF*** :mad:

FirstDiesel
09-13-2002, 16:03
Time to start checking the salvage yards for a spare!!!

lor
09-13-2002, 16:15
Mine went bad too. GM replaced it and the replacement went bad. This time I completely disabled the latch and used magnet to hold it shut. To open, I just pull up.

1BADDMAX
09-15-2002, 06:57
My latch has failed too! I have 35k on the truck and it looks as if I will be taking it in before 36k with a list of small things for them to look at. Overall I've been pleased with this truck. Just a few little things here and there.

HotShot
09-16-2002, 02:44
When mine went bad I took it apart and modified the latch, bent the metal tab over backwards so it moved smoothly instead of binding. Has worked flawlessly since (actually forgot it had happened till I read this post smile.gif ). I did that over a year ago, over 100,000km.

Its a major pain getting the latch apart, its not designed to be disassembled. Make sure your truck is clean because a couple small parts may take flight when it snaps apart when the last lock tabs let loose.

MSSM
09-17-2002, 21:41
My wife had a 1998 and has a 2000 crew cab and with the 60/40 seats. In the 1998 she had 3 consoles replaced. Knock on wood in the 2000 she hasn't had any trouble. My D/A has 40/20/40 seats and I've had problems with mine. The dealer did some trick to mine and it worked for about 10 miles and now it's not working AGAIN. I just have to bang on the dang thing to get it open. I just haven't had time to take it in again.

lonestarduramax
09-19-2002, 12:15
I think your dealer is full of it. My latch wasn't working right, brought it into the dealer and the service writer told me they had been having some problems with the them. Replaced just the console with a new one, I still have the same seat, seat belt and holders. Something seems funny to me.