PDA

View Full Version : Extra Springs for 2500HD

Web
03-16-2004, 13:59
I read somewhere on this forum that the main difference between the 3/4 ton and the new 1 ton SRW is the addition of phase 3 springs and larger 265r16 tires.

I've already switched to 265r16's and think at first blush that adding the extra springs is probably a good idea, as my truck is somewhat overweight when hitched to my 5th wheel.

It seems to me (but what do i know really) that adding the extra springs would be easy and relatively inexpensive safety precaution.

So my question are:

1. Is it true that the larger tires and extra springs are the main difference in the new SRW 1 tons vs the 3/4 tons?

2. Is there any downside in adding the phase 3 springs? I don't mind a stiffer ride unloaded over bumps etc but is there anything else?

3. Is there any particuliar brand of spring etc that is better or worse, or are they relatively generic?

Thanks in advance

More Power
03-16-2004, 19:28
The DRW 3500 rear axle uses thicker walled tubing than the 2500 series. I don't know if the 3500 SRW uses the same axle tubing as the dual rear wheel 3500's.

Airbags are frequently used to help level the truck or increase capacity.

MP

Lone Eagle
03-17-2004, 20:24
The new SRW 3500HD has one more leaf in the pack and another overload above the springs. I Ditto what more power said about the air bags but not about the axle tubing thickness without a link to the source. Later! Frank

More Power
03-17-2004, 21:55
Jim Allen wrote an excellent piece about the new GM rear axles that appeared in last month's issue of Four Wheeler magazine. Axle capacities and construction details were included. That's where I learned about the heavier walled tubing used with the DRW 3500 series axles.

MP