PDA

View Full Version : Allison 1000 problems

SCOOBY14B
09-14-2002, 15:21
Hey all. I'm looking for some info. I am not brand loyal...I drive a Toyota. I am looking for numbers of failures of Allison 1000's in y'alls trucks.

Reason?
We have 13 rescues in service on Freightliner FL-60 with about a 19k GVWR. They have the CAT 3126, but is detuned to 210hp 520 torque (same torque as the Duramax). Out of the 13 we have replaced 18 transmissions. Well, actually Allison has. None of the trucks have hit 100k miles yet. They average about 4k miles a month. We waited for these tranny's because we wanted a medium duty tranny with a parking pawl.

The wait, needless to say was NOT worth it. Any info would be appreciated.

OH...BTW: The ONLY symptoms have been either...would NOT go into reverse for the first couple of times, then would go out after a few days. Or just would stop going forward after stopping at a red light.

mdrag
09-14-2002, 16:21
Moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.

mdrag

bluenote
09-15-2002, 09:07
There have been some problems reported like what you describe, but I would say that those are very, very much in the minority. Most of the problems reported seem to have been shift busyness issues, and the problems with the early 01's that downshifted so easily in cruise control. I have had 2 reflashes to mine (one in November of '01 right after I bought it, and one this past spring when the latest update came out). I have also had the filter and fluid changed once within the 28,000+ miles on my truck. NO PROBLEMS as of yet, and I have to say that I feel the Allison 1000 is an excellent component of an incredible drivetrain.

hoot
09-15-2002, 11:59
What info are you looking for? Looks like you have a real problem on your hands. You can't run a rescue fleet with 18 tranny replacements in 13 units.

Couple of questions. What do you mean by rescue? Most rescue vehicles would have a hard time putting 4000 miles on a month.

What is the name of the company? You can use some serious help.

My Ally has 35,500 trouble free miles.

[ 09-15-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

mackin
09-15-2002, 15:13
Do Freightliners with that GVWR run a 1000 series Allison or a 2000 series??????
I haven't heard of that type of problem(s) you mention ......
============================================
:"The ONLY symptoms have been either...would NOT go into reverse for the first couple of times, then would go out after a few days. Or just would stop going forward after stopping at a red light."
=============================================
That's practically a 150% return factor....With 4000 miles a month that's a whole lot of territory to cover......The BROOKER of EMT'S.......

MAC

SCOOBY14B
09-17-2002, 12:53
Rescue is our fire department transport units. Depending on station location they run between 2500-4500 calls a month.

They ARE the Allison 1000 series. Thats why we had to wait so long to get them on the road. We had the first batch of 8 chassis sitting at Atlanta Freightliner for a little over 5 months.

Black Dog
09-18-2002, 05:44
It sounds to me like there is some kind of electrical / electronic problem with how the trannies are integrated with the chassis / engine. Have there been any real mechanical tranny failures, or just control problems?

carnutsx2
09-18-2002, 09:14
whats the gvw of a FL60? Im guessing its close to the max for a 1000. I know that our rescues run well over 3000 calls a year and we go through Ford trannys but not like that. If your guys are like ours the stuff gets USED! Hey your paying me to solve peoples problems and dammit Im going to get there pronto! By the way the Allisons in my engine sometimes gives me fits.

1919a4
09-18-2002, 18:05
Tranny started slipping/shuddering in 2nd gear at 5K miles.
Failed completely at the dealership (just in time) at 7.5K miles.

Allison has been replaced after a 10 day stay at the dealership. Truck seems to run fine now.

SImon
2002 CC LT D/A

SCOOBY14B
09-21-2002, 18:57
The GVW is 18k.

JEBar
09-21-2002, 19:34
the most common situations in which Allison failures are mentioned appear to be in fleet type use where many different people drive the vehicles ... since the Allison is supposed to be a smart transmission that actively works to learn and adapt to its drivers style, I can't help but wonder if continually trying to adapt to many different drivers may cause problems? :confused:

SCOOBY14B
09-21-2002, 21:09
Possibly. But thats still no reason to lose so many trannys.

Its not hard to adapt to one driving style...WAO!! LOL

SDWA
09-25-2002, 14:16
2500-4000 calls per month for EACH unit or total for all the units? If you're claiming 2500 per unit, per month, I'm calling B.S. ;)

Scott

SCOOBY14B
09-25-2002, 17:30
Just realized what I had typed. I meant 2500-4000 MILES per month. About 225-325 calls per month. The mileage estimate was a little low though. Last week our year to date run/ mileage tally sheets came out. Our two busiest trucks are averaging over 5500 miles a month. We have had our truck about 10 months and have 48k. Of course it was out of service for almost a month with the tranny problem, brake caliper recall and front and rear anti-sway bar install.

blakmax
09-29-2002, 15:32
I rebuild allisons for a living. sounds electrical to me as there is so much information
processed by the TCM. examples/ idle to high will not let the trans go to gear. speed sensors too!

Mudflap
09-29-2002, 16:01
Every once in a while when I come to a stop and shift from drive to park there is a loud metallic crunch from the Allison sounds like gears clashing without the clutch being pushed in. Has this happened to anyone else? It doesn't seem to happen when I shift SLOOOWLY from "D" to "P". :confused:

Paintdude
09-29-2002, 18:42
Fedex around here runs the 1000 series in Freightliner chassis and have had one rebuilt in the last 2-3 yrs out of about 20 units..Now that they change the trans filters ever engine oil change, no more problems.I will ask Gene about them again Tuesday when I am over there picking up a unit..

They use this trans in fertilizer Three-four wheeled-floatation tired units around here also..I have a friend that has one and he just plain thrashes is ever spring and fall..forward -reverse over and over, then pedal to the metal all the time he uses it on over 3000 acres of ground..No problems yet...

I somehow cannot think of another OEM automatic that could be better..IMO

One of our firetrucks has this trans also..Been working just fine..It is a freightliner..

Paintdude
09-30-2002, 18:41
I talked to Gene today and asked him about the 1000 series allisons again..He said they had about 3 or 4 of the first ones rebuilt, then after the changing the trans filter every engine oil change and the first 1000 miles of service, they have never had any other problems,since..Period..

He said the filter will just plain starve the trans on fluid and burn it up..Plain and simple..

mrwolf
10-01-2002, 07:36
Reply to Mudflap

The sound you are hearing when shifting to park is the Park Pawl. This is an arm that engages teeth on a carrier in the transmission. These parts are very large when compared to those of other OEM transmissions. The Park Pawl is capable of containing 26,000 lbs. This is a completely normal sound.

Jim Rokon
10-01-2002, 12:39
One of you wrote: "I talked to Gene today and asked him about the 1000 series allisons again..He said they had about 3 or 4 of the first ones rebuilt, then after the changing the trans filter every engine oil change and the first 1000 miles of service, they have never had any other problems,since..Period..
He said the filter will just plain starve the trans on fluid and burn it up..Plain and simple:"

My question is: If the transmission oil filter is affecting the flow of oil, and starving the transmission of oil, why doesn't the oil temperature gauge show that the oil is considerably higher than 190-200 F? And why don't the protective sensors that ALlison puts into their units put it into "Limp Mode" to save the unit?

Are you talking about the little red spin-on filters that are stocked at Chevy Dealers? I read on the Allison website that the 1000 series transmissions have 3 filters: THey call them the"Control main filter", the "lube/auxilliary filter" and the "internal overhaul filter". Which of these 3 are you changing with every oil change? Incidently, the Chevy dealer parts counter could only find 2 of the 3 transmission oil filters, and the closest Allison dealer who according to Allison can handle all parts and maintenance requirements only shows 2 filters. Allison is not easily contacted so I have been unable to explain this.

--------------------

Paintdude
10-01-2002, 13:18
He just replaces the spin on filters...I seen a bunch of them over there today on the shelf..I am doing a fender repair on one today with a Cummins/Allison in it with 138,000 miles on it..I drove it 30 miles this morning and it never missed a beat..Never had any kind of busy shift at all..

He did mention changing the fluid at the 25,000 interval..He said change it often like the service manuel says..

I will ask him about your thoughts when I see him..