PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise in my truck

imported_
09-14-2002, 21:14
Does anyone else have a noise when going over speed bumps or bumpy roads, it sounds like a cricket noise or a squeak. I just started hearing this sound over the last 2 weeks or so.

Also i recently replaced tires from my stock 245 75-16's to some BF Goodrich All Terrain's T/A 265 75-16's. What i was wanting to know would it be necessary to have the computer reprogrammed to get the speedometer correct. Or is there not much difference between the to.

2002 D/A C/C
Indigio Blue/Graphite Cloth Seats
Big Run S/S Step Bars
Pioneer XM
Pioneer 200 Watt Amp
Rockord Phosgate Component Speakers

afp
09-14-2002, 21:40
I also changed my factroy 245s for 265s. In a side by side comparision, the 265s are much larger than the 245s. It cost me about $80 to get my computer reflashed with the speedo correction. I had to argue with the Service dept to do this. They said they didn't know if there was a 265 calibration for my truck. I argued there msut be since 265s are an optional factory size, and what would the factoy offer a size they couldn't calibrate for? I was right, and my speedo is spot on.

Blaine

imported_
09-14-2002, 22:22
afp

How far was your speedo off with the 265's. Iam just trying to get a basic idea.. Or if anyone else wants to chime in feel free to do so. :D

Boof
09-14-2002, 22:51
Fishin,
I did the same thing, the dealer got it to within 3% which is based on kind of a sliding scale.
So basically its 3 mph at 100 mph. Without the ajustment the error was between 7% and 10% I was told.

mdrag
09-15-2002, 00:15
fishingn,

Welcome to TDP forums. You may want to check to see if your leaf spring isolators are in place - they have been known to fall off and have been the source of various noises, usually described as a slapping noise...it's very easy to check to see if there is a plastic or rubber separator at the end of the leaf springs.

There were posts in the past indicating that GM's official policy was NOT to reprogram Dmax equipped trucks for tire sizes not offered OEM, and NOT to perform trouble shooting on drivetrain/tranny complaints until the OEM wheels/tires were put back on the truck. I have not heard that this has changed :( and it seems the dealers' policy widely varies on this issue...

That being said, many have posted that their dealer reprogramed for different tire combinations, and my service manager offered to reprogram my truck after I changed to larger tires - we'll see...

Good luck.

Moved topic to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.

DMAX Daddy
09-15-2002, 00:27
according to a site somewhere for every 25MPH your speedo is off about 1 MPH

- Your Speedo reads 25, 50, 75 you are going about 26, 52, 78 respectively

Same for every 100 miles your odometer reads you actually went about 104 miles

DMAXTODD
09-15-2002, 10:05
I have the exact same noise you have. The noise is defineatly coming from the front,the shocks I'am sure. I bounced the truck up and down and listened as far as I can tell it is the shocks. I had the dealer check and they could not find it,and I am going to replace the shocks with Bilsteins next month we will see if that helps.

atleast now I know im not just Crazy that sound is annoying!!

Tsckey
09-15-2002, 20:52
I noticed a funny noise in my truck soon after I got it. It sounded exactly like some screaming YAHOO!! over and over again. I finally figured out what it was. It was me.

TC

motovet
09-16-2002, 00:19
Fishn, I had the cricket thing going on and found it was a loose bolt on one of my nerf bars.

imported_
09-17-2002, 15:16
Well took my truck into dealer to have noise checked out. They found the adjusting bolts were loose on A-Arms. They did a wheel alignment & retightened the bolts & everything is fine now..

Also the service rep said that if in future i had any transmission problems that Chevrolet could not cover this due to the fact i upgraded my tires to 265's from 245's. I told him that chevy offers that tire size for that truck if you order it. He stated that this would apply if i had bought the extended warranty. That there would be an adjuster sent out & they would try whatever they could to not allow the claim. I told the service writer that this was chicken **** & if chevy would put decent tires we wouldn't have to upgrade them at all...

hjd3021
09-18-2002, 12:58
When were you guys offered the optional size 265's as an option. When I bought my 02 in Nov 01 there was no such option at least as far as I wa aware of. I had questioned the dealer about it as well as I always opt for the larger tire options on vehicles when available??

imported_
09-18-2002, 14:47
I didnt order my truck. Iam going off what ive read on this forum about tire sizes if you order it from factory.. It may or may not be true....

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-18-2002, 18:38
.......Only option was the off road tire. Both the standard and optional tire are 245/85 x 16". even the rims are only 6.5" wide.

If I were you I would get another set to put on when you have service work done. At least then they have nothing to say.

Just my $.02 cents

GMC ;)

jjgmc
09-18-2002, 19:59
Hey fishingn I have the same problum with the noise in the front end. It stared with about 6000 miles on the truck. Been to the 3 times they replace the bearing in the steering shaft. That helped but when you go over bumps you can still hear the noise sound like something binding sounds like the way you said it fishingn I think it is a bad shock. the shocks on these trucks are junk.