PDA

View Full Version : Allison no go........

Texasoilman44
09-16-2002, 08:05
Well for the second time in the last 3 months, I have let my truck sit unused for 3 days. Upon returning to the truck and starting it and trying to back up, it doesn't want to go. After going from D to R to P, I can then put it in R and back up. Thoughts anyone? By the way, it does move a bit at first just seems like the transmission is not pressuring up or something. Thinking it could have something to do with it sitting and the fluid draining out of the pump or something or other.

Regards,

Kevin

Mike O.
09-16-2002, 08:38
Yep, mine will do this occasionally. Seems like it needs to sit and idle for a short period to allow Allison to pressure up--then it's fine.

SoCalDMAX
09-16-2002, 10:31
Yup, there was a good thread on this a while back. Every Allison tranny is a little different, but they all bleed down a little if parked for a while. I've parked mine for 3 weeks and had no problems, others had to let it pressurize after only a few days. It's just the nature of the beast.

Regards, Steve

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

mdrag
09-16-2002, 11:50
Moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.

mdrag

Texasoilman44
09-16-2002, 12:10
Thanks for the replys. I figured that it was not something serious, but wanted to get a second opinion anyway. I'll look back through old posts and read what is already out there.

Kind regards,

Kevin

aero
09-16-2002, 13:41
mine does this and dealer says GM knows about it but has no fix yet. called torque convertor leak-down!

big dipper
09-16-2002, 15:55
I had the same results as "aero". Allison is right around the corner, so I called a few friends there and they said if it happened again, they would have it removed and repair it. They said it was a valve or solenoid sticking and releasing the pressure.

Funny thing though, I switched to Transynd, and problem has not re-occured in probably 8 months and 7000 miles. I am not saying it "solved" the problem, but.....