PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit voids powertrain warranty?

Mike330R
03-23-2004, 11:53
When buying my truck ('04 CC) I asked specifically if a lift kit would void the warranty. He (finance guy) said it would void the suspension but specifically said it would not harm the motor/trans. Today I asked one of the service managers the same thing and he says that even changing the tire size with void the powertrain warranty. He says it's due to the speeds being read in the front and back wheels can cause it to throw a code.

I called the finance people and they said the lift would not void it but larger tires would. (lift and larger tires go hand in hand) They will give my money back on the extended warranty.

Anyone else had problems getting warranty work done after a lift?

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2004, 16:56
I've been running 285/75/16's for several years now and have no problems with warranty stuff. The service manager did say something to the effect of the bulletin they received about oversize tires, then said that my problem didn't have anything to do with tire size, so don't worry about it. He also said that the warranty is not voided, but they are not supposed to "work" on them until the correct size tires are installed. I read the bulletin and that's what it reads to me. The bulletin does not say anything about voiding anything, just that service for powertrain issues should be declined unless the OEM size tires are on the vehicle.

Legally, they can not decline warranty service for a mod that is not a direct cause for the issue. But, unfortunately, they hold all the marbles. I've even that their complaint department has been outsourced to Bagdad, or somewhere....

Mike330R
03-23-2004, 17:51
it would be crazy to add a lift and keep the stock tires and would look very fishy if I drive in with a 6" lift on stock tires.

The stock tires are not offroad capable. They are to narrow and I would be stuck ASAP.

How does the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act come into play?
How could they prove that oversized tires really made the turbo go out? (just a for instance).

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2004, 18:56
The Magnuson-Moss act is what I was referring to about the "legal" part. No. Oversize tires have no effect on turbo performance. If a service manager tries to tell you otherwise, he needs an attitude adjustment (ala Hank Jr.), IMO.

GM has always been real anal about the tire/wheel issue on our (their) trucks. I never really understood it. The majority of the consumers don't like it, yet GM still insists on forcing go-cart wheels on us. It has nothing to do with load rating and liability. Most of the replacement tires/wheels are of higher rating, anyway. There has to be someone in the GM chain that just has a thing for it. You can buy a new truck off some lots that has been "upgraded" with lifts, tires/wheels, even power and exhaust upgrades. Those dealers usually have a better service department relation with customers. Reality. What a concept. The service department I deal with usually has their feen on the ground about such things. I know of several that are "by the book", as long it is in their favor. In most cases, a dealer chooses how they want to make money. Sales, parts or service. You'd be lucky to find one that is balanced.

I also think a lifted truck with the stock size tires on it would be nothing short of rediculous. They look bad enough at stock height.

Inspector
03-23-2004, 20:33
The local Chevy dealer here is selling brand new trucks that have been lifted and fit with oversize tires. They are actually doing the mod themselves in there shop.
Go figure.
Yes it will, no it won't, yes it will, no it won't. Flip a coin.
:rolleyes:
Denny