PDA

View Full Version : Steering rattle report

Paintdude
09-16-2002, 18:17
My local dealer service advisor went for a ride with me a month ago and I showed him the problem..He agreed it needed attention and would order the bearing kit, J tool and repair it..I HAVE NEVER HEARD FROM HIM SINCE!!!!!!!!

Today I called another GMC dealer and told him what was up and he said " Bring it on over. We will be more than happy to fix it for you."

I went over to Warden Martian GMC today and they ordered the parts and are going to check a few other things, give me a vehicle to drive,etc..with a friendly smile and thank you..

They have techs that have worked there for 37 yrs and I didn`t see any techs under 35 yr of age any where in the shop..I was impressed to say the least..

I will let you know how the repair goes, but I am confident it will be fixed as promised.. smile.gif

MikeT
09-23-2002, 16:32
After lubing the I-shaft, replacing the I-shaft, and 5 days in the shop over a 3 week period, they finally replaced the stub shaft bearing as recommended in the TechLink article (that I provided). No more rattle - NONE! It's like driving a brand new truck.

02 2500HD/CC/LB/DA 23K miles Completely Stock.

Paintdude
09-24-2002, 18:58
They just did the lube job to mine.(I really do not think these dealers know any better and some of the dealers do not want to work on the diesel trucks).I havn't drove it enough yet to see if it really helped or not..I am sure I will be back to the dealer for the real fix eventually..

oneton
09-24-2002, 19:12
See there Paintdude, they suckered you in with the "bring it on in a we'll fix it" routine. You got to be armed to the teeth with documentation on the proper fix. Be persistant!! I just had my AC fixed for the 5th time in my 94. This time I went to friend that has his own shop in the back of his house. 35 years exp. SAE certified. Found that my orphus tube was 2000% blocked. I went back to the guys that originally did my AC work and showed them the O.T. After haggling for 10 min. they agreed to pay for half the bill. Now I'm after the stealership that took 230 buck from me and said my AC system was in top working condition and only needed a high pressure switch. HUMMM.. I wonder why there was so much pressure on the high side?( insert sarcassm here) and refer back to the orphus tube. F*&#^ing b@#stards. :mad:

[ 09-24-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]</p>

Paintdude
09-24-2002, 19:37
I think the biggest problem in my area is, the GMC dealers are just not that big..Not really trained or have much experiance with deisel trucks as compared to the chevy dealers..

I should have taken the service bulliten with me..My bad.. :(

this dealership I went to seems to be the best GMC place for service in this area so I will just keep after them and get it worked out..I am guessing Gm wants them to do the lube job first hoping the cutomer wont come back for the more costly repair..

I will keep after them , you can bet on that..I have plenty of time to get it straightened out..i hate to have my truck in for any repairs..

usually a orfice filter gets plugged from bad compressors..filings and such..The stealership will say it was fine when it left thier shop..

oneton
09-25-2002, 04:57
Paintdude your right. I had a compressor go bad and was fixed under warrenty. Apparently they never flushed out the system and just installed a new compressor. I even asked if they even knew where the orfice tube was. They couldn't tell me!! My point is, I went to the stealership to get it fixed right but all they did was take my money and shove it out the door. There was nothing wrong with the compressor that was on it when they did the service. I just hope that the crap in the line didn't damage it. Luckly I didn't run the air much trying to get it to work. My friend said that the pressure was so high that it pegged his gauge and if they did a proper check on the system they would have seen it. Sorry for the rant. I'm just tired of mechanics putting one over on the customer just so that they can keep the car coming back and making more money.