PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler

odee
07-27-2005, 04:27
I'm getting ready to pipe in my oil cooler on my new engine. I have a 6.5td in a early eighties body style truck. I was going to put the cooler in front of the radiator until I started reading all the post here on intercoolers. So my question is would it be okay to put it flat or at a slight angle under the radiator support with some sort of scoop to route air to it?

HowieE
07-27-2005, 05:06
Not sure what you are referring to about intercooler posting in conflict with an oil cooler mounted forward of the radiator. That is a normal factor placement.
However if you are running into a space problem and considering mounting the cooler below and on an angle that placement has worked fine for the last 5 years for my intercool so I would expect the same results for your oil cooler. The scoop is a must.
Take a look at my site for comments on the coolers in general.

HowieE
07-27-2005, 05:11
A second though.
My intercooler only needs to produce cooling under load at road speeds that provide good airflow over the cooler. A possible problem with mounting an oil cooler out of the fan driven airflow is the fact that you will see vertually no airflow over the cooler at low speed in traffic, a time when higher oil temperatures may be present.

rjschoolcraft
07-27-2005, 07:16
The oil cooler is not as robust as the intercooler cores are either. It will be much more susceptible to damage than an intercooler core.

odee
07-27-2005, 17:59
I'm wanting to put the intercooler where I was wanting to first put the oil cooler. I was gonna mount the oil cooler under the radiator support behind the bumper. I figured it would be somewhat protected by the bumper. Any other ideas on placement?