PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here... wives or ladies drive these HD trucks?

typecast
09-17-2002, 10:32
Thanks for your replies to my earlier 2wd vs 4wd thread. I think I've decided to go with the 4wd...

My wife was wondering if any ladies/wives ever drive the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. We are looking at the 2500 crew cab short bed and she's used to driving a Sienna minivan (yeah, one that goes over 100+mph, too! :D ) Do gals get used to the size and enjoy driving the trucks? Do they ever do any of the towing? My wife would like to share some of the driving when we travel but is intimidated by the size of the truck and the 25' trailer (Coleman Caravan 25SLB) we are looking at. With all the construction they are doing on I-70 around St Louis, she's concerned that the rig would be too wide for the narrow construction lanes with no shoulders. My feeling is that people male or female can get used to driving anything; it just takes practice. Look at all the lady semi drivers out there. Anyway, she would like to hear it straight from someone who has the experience.

This will be our first full-sized truck; everything up to now has been Toyota and Nissan pickups, with one lemon Dakota thrown in there that has kept us out of domestic vehicles for 12 yrs.

- Galen

IndigoDually
09-17-2002, 10:57
Oh Boy, wait till MudNurl sees this. :D

The answer to your question is a YES. Our crew cab dually is my wife's daily driver / grocery getter. She parks in a hospital parking lot without any problems. On weekends and some nights she hauls horses in trailers from 25'-37+' long. She also plows snow in the winter. We have even taken trailers through Midtown Manhattan before.

Driving larger vehicles just takes a little getting used to. On the plus side this truck will be quicker than any other truck you have owned before and probably quicker that the minivan. :D

Quicker to get out of trouble and quicker to get into trouble, just look at the thread "Busted" by Mackin.

Good luck with your purchase, and feel free to become a member of this page and ask any questions. Chances are if your question has been discussed before You will be referred to a previous thread.

John

typecast
09-17-2002, 11:29
Thanks Indigo, this is the kind of stuff we are looking for. And I did sign up for the full membership. I've been running searches like crazy; what a ton of info.

Galen

MGM
09-17-2002, 11:39
My wife would rather drive my D/A than her Acura, main reasons she gives are: great power(safe passing)and high sitting plane ( no anxiety in heavy traffic).Bottom line she feels safe and comfortable.

01_Duramax_Dually
09-17-2002, 14:21
Typecast,
My wife Loves driving the truck. She likes how people stay away. She likes the higher field of view. She has driven when towing the boat, says it is EASY, not sure why she was worried about it. Has not towed the Big Race car trailer but has offered. The difference I told here was going from surge breaks to double electrics. The surge are much more responsive but then the Race car trailer weighs nearly 3 times as much as the boat.
As for Parking, it is simple for her, she parks away and walks. She says it makes her laugh that people wait for 10 minutes for a spot up front. She says it explains why some people are so over weight (according to the medical profession... :D )

Tell your wife, it is Easy, the trucks are very very user friendly.

Best Regards

tpitt
09-17-2002, 14:27
When I first got mine I couldn't get it back from my wife. Now I got her in the Suburban and it isn't so bad. I actually get to use it now. :D :D Terry

biker Wayne
09-17-2002, 14:45
It all depends on the individual. My wife was intimidated when I was driving our new Coachmen trailer, 33 feet long and 8 1/2 feet wide. I tried to teach her how to drive the rig. She did OK going down the interstate, but could not get used to the trailer wheels going inside the track of the truck tires in turns. The last straw was her putting both trailer wheels up and over the curb in a paring lot, never checking the mirrors and not stopping when I said "STOP!". She flunked big rig driving school. While some can, some can't. Just depends on the individual.

AKDmax
09-17-2002, 14:52
My wife drives it all the time. From the right seat!!! :D Seriously, she likes this one better because it doesn't have a topper like the old truck. Doesn't seem to bother her, but she won't tow anything. Haven't had it in any of the compact lots ya'll have own there in the lower 48. It can be challenging at times in construction areas, but still manageable...

fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa
09-17-2002, 14:57
NOTHING TO IT She'l love it. I had a stroke May 31 and can't drive for awhile, till I finish Rehab. My wife loves our
2002 White GMC SIERRA 2500 HD 4WD Extended Cab Duramax Alison
G80 Locking Rear Differential
Dual Alternators
Heavy Duty Trailering Equipt
Electronic Shift Transfer Case
Electric Rear Window Defogger
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Off Road Skid Plate
Ext Electric Heated Mirrors
Wiring Provisions For Camper
A.R.E. CH Cab High Cap With Glass Windoors
Line X Spray in under Rails Bed Liner
Full Carpet Bed Rug
DTA Chrome Plated Stainless Running Boards
DTA Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Tail Gate Lock
56 Gallon Transfer Flow Fuel Tank & Fast Fill Neck
Futomo Drain Valve
Invinca-Shield
Jordan Ultima Brake Controller
XM radio.

............The alaskan kid

mtomac
09-17-2002, 15:06
I let my girlfriend drive my truck occasionally and she loves it compared to her '99 ZR2 S-10.

JEBar
09-17-2002, 15:19
my better half (have to put that in just incase she looks over my shoulder :D ) is slowly coming around to driving our 3500 .... she is ok with it running solo on the interstate, has driven in big city traffic but isn't fond of doing so (but who is?) ... several ladies post on this page and there is no reason almost any person who wants to do so can't handle one of these rigs :cool: ... Jim

mdadgar
09-17-2002, 17:08
My wife absolutely hates my truck. Refuses to drive it except in the most dire of necessities.

Before anyone assumes it's a skill issue, she's been to multiple racing schools (BMW CCA, Russel Racing, etc) and has a fair amount of track time under her belt.

She just hates the truck. smile.gif Ahh, well, she drives a BMW, so I guess she's entitled.

- Mark
'02 Sierra 2500HD CC SWB 4x4 D/A

MSSM
09-17-2002, 21:29
Yes women can drive these trucks. But like biker wayne said, it depends on the individual. My wife will drive a big truck and pull a trailer and she grew up a city girl. Now, my sister on the other hand who grew up in the country and all we drove was big trucks and pulled trailers won't touch a big truck and trailer with a 10 foot pole. My wife drives a 2000 3500 crew cab long bed (350) and she hauls goats all over the state of Texas to shows. Since I'm out of town alot she was forced to learn how to pull a trailer. She is a pro now, she can whip that trailer around in San Antonio, Dallas and does great. But when she needs a REAL truck to haul heavy loads she has to use mine. She took my 3500 D/A to New Mexico over spring break to get a load of hay by herself. Although she did call me crying at one point b/c the truck overheated, but it was because she left the tow/haul button on for a long time........I needed her to take our travel trailer to the shop a couple of months ago and pulled it through San Antonio with no problem. She did say that when she was pulling that trailer in SA the people were actually getting out of her way. She said she will NEVER driving anything but a truck. She went from a Chevy Cavalier to a 1 ton crew cab truck (my idea) and now I'll never get her out of one. We have been talking about getting her a D/A but we just haven't taken the plung yet (she's a tight wad). Well, that's my story.

mackey_62
09-18-2002, 05:26
My girlfriend won't even consider driving mine, ( knew I got the stick for a reason :D :D )
Seriously, she did drive last K2500 E/C gasser no problem. Actually she beat the snot out of it.

Something about getting out of the 4cyl, 120 hp, grocery-getter...into 300hp+, 6' tall, 6k-7k # truck, kind of liberating I guess. :D

Mac

Colorado Kid
09-18-2002, 14:50
If mine had the Allison I woun't be able to get my wife out of it. Even with the 6 speed every time she drives is she says "I sure do like that truck, but the clutch scares me in parking lots"

She has independently determined that the Honda Odyssey minivan will go 28 MPH faster than the truck. :eek:

She hasn't driven it towing yet, but neither has anyone else but me. Went to Montana and back and my dad never offered. (Well he did pull it away from the fuel pumps while I was in the station one time!). The man flew 747s, so I don't think it was the size that bothered him!

If we could buy a D-max Yukon XL we would...the only problem is with our dinky garage my truck would be evicted or subjected to door dings...I guess it isn't such a bad deal that there are no new diesel Yukons. :D

SoCalDMAX
09-18-2002, 16:16
My wife was once married to a truck driver, years ago. He taught her to maneuver/park the rig.

When I brought the Dmax home, she came out to see it and said something like, "Hmmmm... are you sure it's a diesel? Doesn't really sound like it."

Then one day she wanted to move it and I asked if she wanted me to move it for her. The look I got said, "Gimme a break!" She loves how it rides and drives. Like others have said, be careful, you may not get to drive it once the better half gets behind the wheel. People have gotten into fights or divorced over less. ;)

I can't wait till I get a nice big toybox, then the wife can start teaching me how to maneuver the trailer. ;)

Regards, Steve

mattb5150
09-18-2002, 17:03
The Dmax is the wife's daily driver. Long bed Crew cab, she wanted both I wanted one or the other. Like someone said above she parks far from the store and walks. Had to put step bars on for her which I don't like much and my brother absolutely hates.

Matt B.

oneton
09-18-2002, 17:25
We just got our Crew Cab and now my wife wants one for her just not in a dually. She loves the truck but only if it has an automatic. She can drive a stick ok, she actually learn on a 5 speed Cavalier RS, but is more relaxed with less things to do.

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-18-2002, 18:33
My wife was driving a 1980 Full Size K5 blazer when we got married. She has had 2 blazers after that a Suburban, a Passat Wagon and now another Blazer. She can drive my truck as good as anybody. The truck stays home a couple days a week when I really don't need it and she enjoys driving it. Heck she even takes our garbage to the transfer station on the weekend with it.

Man did I ever marry a good one ;)

GMC :D

dmaxstu
09-18-2002, 20:19
01_duramax_dually

It sounds like you might be in the market for a Jordan Ultima2020 brake controller for your race car trailer. Then your wife would not have any problem driving that either and you'll think you died and went to heaven 'cause you you would'nt know you were pulling that trailer so far as braking is concerned. Stu
www.jordanbrake.com

DMAXDiva
09-18-2002, 20:28
Now how could I possibly resist this topic?

It goes without saying that I absolutely LOVE my truck; it's my daily driver. There's something so empowering about driving such an imposing vehicle (especially in Houston!). I've always driven a truck of some sort (though I've also had a variety of cars), and I guess I always will...

NutNbutGMC
09-18-2002, 21:57
^........DM_Diva... What's your sister's phone number????

Maverick
09-19-2002, 00:28
My wife loves her 2500HD. She hated towing anything at first but got forced a few times and loves pulling our 02' Cargo-Mate 8.5' x 20' enclosed car trailer now. She uses it for a display trailer to haul her infra-red sauna's around that she sells. She'll cut all DP members a good deal. ;)

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

DMAXDiva
09-19-2002, 18:11
NutnBut:

Sorry, "no gottie no sister"...guess the Good Lord decided to break the mold after I came along!

Heartbeat Hauler
09-20-2002, 12:46
My wife, all 5'3" of her, drives my 3500. As a matter of fact she has no qualms about take this baby down the interstate @ 80 mph with a 9000lb 5ver in tow. Other than the uncomfortable seats and the lack of flat floor boards, she loves the truck. On my days off she'll casually mention "I'm taking the the dooley today." Hmmmm I wonder if she's drag racin' fords and dodges?
JP ;)

MudNurI
09-20-2002, 14:12
ahhhhhhh the question of the day..

Do Women enjoy driving a D/A...hmmmm let me think on this one.

took our (okay it's his) '01 cc/sb to florida this past March, let him drive to Wilkes-Barre, PA, then that was it. I drove Pa-Fl-VT...

He gets to drive the truck to work everyday, but once it hits the driveway, it's mine again, until the next morning. Friday at 730pm, it becomes mine until Monday at 530am. When EVER we go anywhere, I drive.

Now, not all "chicks" dig big trucks, take this into context, MY truck is a 86 K5 Blazer, 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 33" tires, true dual exhaust, KN system, etc... this is MY truck. to me, his truck is little.

I drove the truck with the trailer on back, and loaded with John Deere's. We guessed it to be about 10,000lbs. I drove the truck with 1.74 Tons of surepack in the bed (yup, got the weight slip for this!)..

Some women, are very much intimidated by the size of the truck. And rightfully so, if your use to driving a car, or minivan (yes they are faster..) getting into a p/u of any size is weird. For me, its the opposite. We don't own cars that are daily drivers, and when we did they were Cadi's so they weren't exactly small....(okay a 'vette is, but that wasn't the daily driver).

I'd rather drive a old beat up pick/up or suburban, than a new BMW, Volvo, or any of those other cars ANYDAY!

glad to see DMAX DIVA hopped in this topic....need more women here!!

Brandy :D tongue.gif :D :eek: tongue.gif :D :eek:

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: MudNurI ]</p>

Mike G.
10-29-2002, 02:58
My wife loves big vehicles. Her vehicle is a 2000 Excursion, which she loves. We use to have a 24' trailer We pulled with a suburban, when the kids were small and she parked the darn thing better than I did....Moved up to a 35' motorhome she had no problem there either...We just bought a new 35' 5th wheel and truck...she hasn't had the opportunity to pull the trailer yet since the new truck blew the driveline on the way home, 30 miles from the trailer dealership. We are waiting for GM to replace the truck and as soon as it's broken in we will be out with the new trailer and I'm sure she'll be towing it....Mike G.

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: Mike G. ]</p>